Skip to main content
Topic: Cheaper PCBS on the dev site and $.95/gram SLA 3D prints (Read 150577 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Cheaper PCBS on the dev site and $.95/gram SLA 3D prints

Reply #15
Some minor feedback points...

on the Ordered Items popup in the order History page (see attachement):
- The title is test.zip (I don't recall using that name anywhere...must be system generated??)
- The total is rounded up to the nearest $ (actual amount charged via PP & in order confirmation email was correct).

Other stuff:
- On the Buy page, it took me a while to figure out that there were more options behind the "Advanced Options" text. Suggest you make it more prominent or just expose all the options by default.
- The cost seemed to go up a lot beyond the protopack quantity (I suspect this may be an interim thing or a different supplier). e.g. +/- 10 ->$11.95 & 10 is $76.
- 1.2mm is the default setting for thickness & most places seem to default at 1.6mm.
- no HASL Lead free option?
- A custom size of 10x10 cm is $68 vs a custom size of 100x100cm is also $68  :)  (postage would be interesting)
- you should consider forcing users to enter shipping & billing address when registering to make checkout more streamlined.
- allowing users to enter their own project ID, might be helpful - if it is displayed on all the updates/status/history etc. Alternatively just use the original name of the uploaded file.

Overall, it worked fine so far & no issues with checkout or payment.

Reply #16
1.2mm was also the standard for dirtypcbs.com. THey did it because the postage of 1.6mm was a bit more expensive, so they end up with a small loss.

Reply #17
Yes. Also less weight less fuel better for our planet. Slightly. But it does save you a buck on shipping and is better to the world and most don't even notice. Is standard thickness, as far as I know, for sparkfun and adafruit for ship volume to weight ratio.
Got a question? Please ask in the forum for the fastest answers.

Reply #18
I personally preffer 0.8mm for small boards < 5x5cm.

Reply #19
No problem, I was just checking the difference and typing a response as you posted:

just checked and noticed that the shipping is an extra $1 with the 1.6 vs 1.2 mm boards (10x10cm +/-10), which makes sense if the shipping costs more etc.

When ordering I didn't realize there was a difference in shipping for different thickness. I must be 'pre-conditioned' by other suppliers. So maybe a note somewhere to highlight that, might be helpful in achieving the 'eco' goals.

But I tend to agree - in this case less can be more. :)

Reply #20
I tried to place an order with 3 board (2x 5x5cm and 1x 10x10cm) and the total is $ 31.849999999999998.

Also this will give an error:

Code: [Select]

A PHP Error was encountered

Severity: Warning

Message: fwrite() expects parameter 1 to be resource, null given

Filename: IO/StreamIO.php

Line Number: 61

Fatal error: Uncaught exception 'PhpAmqpLibExceptionAMQPRuntimeException' with message 'Error sending data' in /var/www/dangercore/vendor/videlalvaro/php-amqplib/PhpAmqpLib/Wire/IO/StreamIO.php:62 Stack trace: #0 /var/www/dangercore/vendor/videlalvaro/php-amqplib/PhpAmqpLib/Connection/AbstractConnection.php(156): PhpAmqpLibWireIOStreamIO->write('?????????????') #1 /var/www/dangercore/vendor/videlalvaro/php-amqplib/PhpAmqpLib/Connection/AbstractConnection.php(229): PhpAmqpLibConnectionAbstractConnection->write('?????????????') #2 /var/www/dangercore/vendor/videlalvaro/php-amqplib/PhpAmqpLib/Channel/AbstractChannel.php(126): PhpAmqpLibConnectionAbstractConnection->send_channel_method_frame(1, Array, Object(PhpAmqpLibWireAMQPWriter)) #3 /var/www/dangercore/vendor/videlalvaro/php-amqplib/PhpAmqpLib/Channel/AMQPChannel.php(196): PhpAmqpLibChannelAbstractChannel->send_method_frame(Array, Object(PhpAmqpLibWireAMQPWriter)) #4 /var/www/dangercore/vendor/videlalvaro/php-amqplib/PhpAmqpLib/Channel/AMQPChannel.php(78): in /var/www/dangercore/vendor/videlalvaro/php-amqplib/PhpAmqpLib/Wire/IO/StreamIO.php on line 62

the total is about 2MB for the three files. It seems to fail on multiple files and only the first board is in my basket (which happened to be the largest one (1.5MB)).

When viewing the cart the previews are very small and not clickable. It would be nice to review the board like it was on dirtypcbs. Also i like to change the parameters in the basket instead of throwing the board and readd it (with another rendering cycle). That also seems to discard the shipping setting you set before. Also the pricing of DHL shipping (2-5) is altered (was $ 23 now $37). refreshing the basket got it back to $23

And I dislike the disappearing scrollbar on the right. But hey it is dirtcheap ;) (order 52)

Reply #21
Update: looks like the file name and total rounding has been fixed, from my earlier post. :)

However, because my file name is a bit on the long side it looks like the panel does not fit in the pop-up window. there is also some weird effect when I mouse over the item (actually when I dont mouse over it some info is not shown).

I am using Firefox & the order no is #50 - if you need to see it for yourself.

The '$' is now on one line and the correct amount is on another, probably the same issue as above.

(you proable just need to wrap the file name if it is too long or truncate it with .... )

Reply #22
Thanks Sjaak! I'm pushing a temp fix now (removing the option to add multiple boards :P ).

I added share pcb, share 3d prints, and user store to the live server yesterday. It looks like I messed up adding normal PCBs to the cart when I did the shared pcbs stuff. It should work in a second. The share stuff is all coming up blank so we're working on that too.

Today I will be working the backend as several orders need to ship and the contractor is currently entering everything by hand at the logistics office.

Reply #23
shared things are working now :)

http://dev.dangerousprototypes.com/store/user/browse
to see any PCBs or 3d models you uploaded. You can reorder, or add them to your own designer store with descriptions, etc.

Right now I'm just trying to stabilize the underlying infrastructure for the store and rendering farm. The guys are getting the little UI bugs too, but it is low priority.

When the thing is basically working I'll roll out the cool stuff :) PCB layer browser, browser-based 3d model viewer, etc, etc.

Still this week I hope to open up:
*User items in store
*User sales dashboard
*BOM management tool preview

But as always development is super slow. This is a prototype in progress :)

Reply #24
The first batch of orders have shipped! The first few were a couple days longer than dirty pcb orders. I apologize for that. Tracking numbers will be provided manually and will take longer than normal.

I expect the shipping backend to be a mess for at least another 1.5 weeks.

We also desperately need a way to update gerber files on PCBs. I might hack in a quick file update, but full editing (color, etc) is weeks away.

Reply #25
Order 55 Submitted, all smooth.

Reply #26
[quote author="AnalysIR"]
- The cost seemed to go up a lot beyond the protopack quantity (I suspect this may be an interim thing or a different supplier). e.g. +/- 10 ->$11.95 & 10 is $76.
- 1.2mm is the default setting for thickness & most places seem to default at 1.6mm.
- no HASL Lead free option?
[/quote]

These items are pretty much all the same as dirtypcbs.com - the protopacks are cheap and dirty, not intended for production or resale.

Reply #27
all the same as dirtypcbs.com

Yes, but based on the original post from Ian, my comments were in the context of an expanded service (..."with way more options"...) vs a clone of the existing DPCBs service and meant as feedback only and not just for protopacks.

I have no idea whether production PCBs is/will be targeted or not as part of the new service, but given that there seems to be an option as part of the website to have DP sell on boards for a commission I guess resale at least is envisaged. So far I have placed only one order on DPCBs (plus a second in the pipeline via the dev site) and the quality seemed to be at least on a par with similar services, with the really nice bonus of panelisation included.

Reply #28
I'm experiencing an error "quantity must be a number" when I press add to cart. 
It's an eagle brd upload, 10x10, protopack quantity selected, but the issue persists no matter the numerical quantity selected. 

Also, do we have a turn time estimate based on the orders that have already been fulfilled?  Say we get this issue resolved and I ordered right after the Chinese holidays end around October 6th, think we can still get that 1.5-2 weeks between when order is placed and shipment date like I get from DirtyPCBs?

Thanks,
Ray

Reply #29
I know what's going on, will fix it.

Boards ship in just a few days usually, not weeks. Depends on board Abd time of year though.