Skip to main content
Topic: Flashrom never working..... (Read 3918 times) previous topic - next topic

Flashrom never working.....

Hello folks,

i have a buspirate and flashrom v0.9.6.1-r1705 with Windows 7 pro 64bit. I always get this error, when trying to read with this command: flashrom.exe -p buspirate_spi:dev=COM2,spispeed=1M -r example.rom
Calibrating delay loop....OK
"unknown SPI chip (RDID)" (0kb, SPI) on buspirate_spi
Chip is SST25VF040B, but i tried several chips and no one is recognized by buspirate. I have to restore a failed bios, it is still working, but checksum error and no restoring with floppy or cdrom was successfull.

What i tried:
-short wires (10cm)
-desoldered chips
-testclip and soldered wires
-bus pirate self-test (ok)
-changed miso/mosi wires
-external psu for 3.3Volts

I'm very frustrated that nothing is working yet......

Re: Flashrom never working.....

Reply #1
Hi Leon,

for a moment set aside flashrom and give it a try with Bus Pirate alone just in order to be sure all is working right there.
So clip your chip to the Bus Pirate, put it in SPI mode and send these commands:

[0x9F r:3]
(if all is fine either for SPI communication or links, on the terminal you should be able to read JEDEC of the component which is BFH 25H 8DH for SST25VF040B)

[0x90 0x00 0x00 0x00 r:2]
(if all is fine either for SPI communication or links, on the terminal you should be able to read the Manufacturer and Device ID of the component which are BFH 8DH for SST25VF040B)

[0x90 0x00 0x00 0x01 r:2]
(if all is fine either for SPI communication or links, on the terminal you should be able to read the Device and Manufacturer ID of the component which are 8DH BFH for SST25VF040B)

Ok this is the first step.
If you are able to see them your Bus Pirate and chip are talking fine otherwise there is a problem and then it's normal that flashrom is unable to recognize the chip.

Regards,
sre71

Reply #2
well, anybody has a newer version such as v0.9.7 for windows? I try to download from flashrom website and the link there is not opening at all. Please help me. or email me a newer version to me  thanks david

Reply #3
LIke I posted it before, there is possibility that the flashrom v0.9.6.1 is too old. try to get the newer version which I can not find. Please help us.

Reply #4
Have you looked at the flashrom.org site?

A quick glance at http://flashrom.org/Windows gave me a link to the buildbot site ( http://buildbot.flashrom.org/buildresults/?M=D ) which provides a nightly mingw version.

It also provides building instructions to build your own version.