Skip to main content
Topic: Bus Pirate v4 hardware  (Read 72039 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Bus Pirate v4 hardware

Reply #60
Sorry Sjaak,  i just ask if any firmware was post already, i got one board V4 by "Free PCB Sunday" same schematic page 1, Reply #9.
This design is maybe not finish yet but i see some good stuff. By extending the number of port, we can implement new stuff, new sensor maybe, create some "shield".
A board for Ethernet read and debug, maybe retry "Lcd", a portable Bus pirate tool, RF sensor, optocoupler board for high power circuit i dont know. For my part, i know i will use,try and experiment with my board, i will use the C30 compiler of MPLAB, i try to lern and use Perl, Python.

next, i think Octal post a good idee using a USB PIC, i see alot of project using the PIC18f2550 to create virtual Serial port, im sure other PIC can do same job or a Cypress chip.

Reply #61
[quote author="psyko"]
Sorry Sjaak,  i just ask if any firmware was post already, i got one board V4 by "Free PCB Sunday" same schematic page 1, Reply #9.
This design is maybe not finish yet but i see some good stuff. By extending the number of port, we can implement new stuff, new sensor maybe, create some "shield".
A board for Ethernet read and debug, maybe retry "Lcd", a portable Bus pirate tool, RF sensor, optocoupler board for high power circuit i dont know. For my part, i know i will use,try and experiment with my board, i will use the C30 compiler of MPLAB, i try to lern and use Perl, Python.

next, i think Octal post a good idee using a USB PIC, i see alot of project using the PIC18f2550 to create virtual Serial port, im sure other PIC can do same job or a Cypress chip.
[/quote]

I didn't know you have already a pcb (or that that pcb is the same as Ian is using now). I'm sorry if I offended you.

I'm waiting for my proto to arrive, but the first things will be recompiling/porting the current firmware to the v4 hardware, verify that is is working. I think then we need to redesign some stuff and perhaps remake the PCB. Problaby writing an USB stack while we wait for the new boards to arrive :D I dunno :)

There are some extension on it way and prolly will some new in the future. please feed us with your darkest disires (please keep it buspirate related!!)!

I'm still not convinced about a dedicated USB chip, but only time will tell. We still need to develop our own USB stack to take away the burden of the microchip stack.

Reply #62
Hi,
Microchip introduced a new USB chip, the PIC24FJ256GB206 that we may consider for a new Bus Pirate, it's a 64 pin chip with 256 KB of Flash and (more importantly) 96 KB of RAM
It has also a nice ammount of peripherals (3xSPI, 3xI2C, CCP .... and USB ;) )
http://www.microchip.com/wwwproducts/De ... e=en547864

Regards

Reply #63
96K SRAM is an insane amount of memory. I thought 8K was huge! Thanks for pointing this out.
Got a question? Please ask in the forum for the fastest answers.

Reply #64
Wow, sweet! And it also looks like it is pin compatible with the 24FJ256GB110 that I have on my proto board.

Reply #65
It's great to have an upgrade path too... With the 24FJ64GA002 we're totally stuck, there's no similar chip with more flash/ram. With the 64pin chips we could start with 128 or 196 and move to 256 later. Now we also have a RAM upgrade path, it's great.

I think 256K flash, depending on availability and cost, it probably the place to start with v4 though. That should give us plenty of room to add back the easter egg :)

Reply #66
yes Ian, I agree.

I passed a long time this weekend checking datasheets and PIC24 series. 96KB is really a very good thing especially for the scripting engine, or for buffering captured data if USB is too slow to transfer data to PC.
I'm checking also to use this chip on (modified) WebPlatform!!!

as for upgrade path, I think that we should also ask ourselves if we need to stick with Microchip parts. STM32 parts offers PPS, more peripherals, more protocols implemented in hardware (IRDA, ISO... ), more options on pins (PullUp, PullDown, Res completely disabled, Open Drain, ...) ... and ALL THE SERIE is compatible (all hardware and peripherals are at same adr), so you can upgrade without changing any line of code.

Should we think to switch to another serie of MCU ?

Reply #67
Microchip does a great deal on keeping the pics pincompatible. I think the 24fj256gb106 (the one on the v4 proto) has 16K of RAM.

However RAM isn't much of an issue, since the 4096 bytes buffer (which takes +- half of the current RAM usage) is mostly not used and can be reused. Perhaps to speed up for programming other chips. It could be that i don't see the benifits of 96K ;)

Reply #68
[quote author="Sjaak"]
 Perhaps to speed up for programming other chips. It could be that i don't see the benifits of 96K ;)
[/quote]

if you tried to enhance the Scripting engine (adding arrays support, to read/modify/write a serie of data directly) you could see it quickly ;)

Reply #69
Though I think we finally found the right chip for the Zmachine text adventure emulator :)

Reply #70
I don't know the Zmachine Adv Emul, but if you dont need PPS, you may also check the latests PIC32. They have up to 128KB of ram and builtin Ethernet and USB :)

Reply #71
[quote author="ian"]
Though I think we finally found the right chip for the Zmachine text adventure emulator :)
[/quote]

Haha, after this we must upgrade again (because of the eateregg ;) )

Reply #72
The pullup FET controls are not connected to 5volt tolerant pins, so only the 3.3volt switch will work on this prototype. The 5volt switch will put 5volt into the pin and ruin it.
*connect 5volt (and 3.3volt) FET controls to 5volt tolerant pins.

Reply #73
Here's another picture of the bpv4 under test. It has all the parts except the parts of the pullup resistor circuit (4066, PNP switches) and the buttons.

I will try to get the Microchip USB stack working on it tonight if I have time.

I re-did the VDIS fix by isolating the ground plane, scraping the mast away near the MCLR resistor (ICSP header area), and made a solder bridge. Presto, no silly wire to snap off all the time. That required moving all the parts from the old board to a new board, but still worth it.

Reply #74
[quote author="ian"]Presto, no silly wire to snap off all the time.[/quote]I think I know what you're talking about here.  Whenever I make white-wire repairs to a board, they seem abnormally fragile, as if I made a cold solder joint, but I know that I'm better at soldering than that.  There must be something about tiny wires and tiny SOIC or smaller pins that means they won't last.