Skip to main content
Topic: OpenOCD, Buspirate JTAG reads fail after short time (Read 3206 times) previous topic - next topic

OpenOCD, Buspirate JTAG reads fail after short time

Hi,

My first try with OpenOCD & Buspirate.

I have a board that I'm reversing - and attempting to dump the image out of the NAND flash.

Board has a SAMSUNG s3c2440 SOC CPU, and there's a SAMSUNG k9f1g08u0d 128 MB NAND flash device.

I'm using a BusPirate through JTAG to connect.  I am able to run OpenOCD and view the chip, dump registers, etc.

However, the whole setup is unstable. I'm running on a Linux host PC. Steps are:
- power up the target
- power up buspirate
- start openocd daemon
- start telnet into openocd daemon
- enable debug_level 3
- just watch the debug messages flow on the openocd daemon window.
- the flow of messages stops after 15 seconds or so with the following error:
Code: [Select]
Error: 7399 146854 bus_pirate.c 1091 buspirate_serial_read() should have read = 15 actual size = 0
Error: 7399 146854 bus_pirate.c 1091 buspirate_serial_read() Error treading data timeout = 10, len = 0, size = 15

I have a Buspirate 3, with the latest version 6.1 firmware.
Openocd is version 0.9.0

Please, any suggestions to help me get the setup to be more stable.

thanks

OpenOCD, Buspirate JTAG reads fail after short time

Reply #1
Maybe you could post your config files here.
I think first step maybe, make sure the mww and mdw command is working.

Re: OpenOCD, Buspirate JTAG reads fail after short time

Reply #2
Sorry for late reply. Work interferes with the fun.

I'm using the target/s3c2440.cfg and interface/buspirate.cfg that come with openocd. No mods to either. I don't have a board config file. I tried copying a board file that used the s3cw2440 CPU, but that didn't get me anywhere. Not sure where to go with this.

I start the openocd with the target & board config files. That successfully connects to buspirate & JTAG OK. Buspiirate LEDs are blinking rapidly.

Now I do nothing else - the system is idle. But after 15 seconds or so, the  LEDs stop blinking and I get the error from openocd.

You suggest using mww or mdw command. Suggestions of what to do with these??

thx.