Skip to main content
Topic: Really universal soldering controller (Read 818293 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Really universal soldering controller

Reply #5010
Hi, is there a BOM List for mouser? I would like to buy the components and solder the PCB by myself, but I cant find a suitable BOM List for mouser. If there is another possibility where I can buy the electronic components in germany, let me know.

The BOM is in an xlsx spreadsheet on the GitHub. You could use that to generate a BOM on Mouser or anywhere else.

I used octopart to help find availability and the cheapest prices. Here’s the one I put together for the “Full” BOM: https://octopart.com/bom-tool/wxoojNjG (disclaimer: you should verify this yourself before using it; I did my best, but I cannot guarantee anything)

Reply #5011
For Germany you can also try to buy from lcsc.com or tme.eu. Both have a large selection of electronic components available (much bigger than conrad.de or reichelt.de) and low shipping costs for european countries.

Reply #5012
So i ended up connecting the board to my lab psu to check whether everything was functional got the sleep sensor working with a board that came with my kit from tindie. But then once it comes off of sleep and is going to heat up it trips my PSU. I checked all connections and everything is wired up correctly. To me this looks like that the load is too high or that there is a short however i checked all wiring thoroughly and i've seen people pull 5a 30v just fine out of this PSU.

So here i am scratching my head at what my next step should be. Any pointers/things to look into would be greatly appreciated.
I will have my toroidal i tomorrow but am kind of hesitant to hook it up if i have a slight suspicion of a short being there.

Video of the issue: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/802204693756510223/844884660890107904/20210520_024003.mp4

Reply #5013
Any pointers/things to look into would be greatly appreciated.

4 amp and 0c on Iron is not good.
I remember reading this by someone a couple of months ago, it was related to tindie boards 5.2c issues with MOSFETs, in 2 different cases, they said the same which is the board received was working fine but after few hours of use died claiming that they did nothing to the board. If I remember well they had issues with U8 and Q1 short to ground, I would suggest testing for short, if everything is ok  double check the wiring, a 4 amp should be enough to feel the heat with your hands somewhere.

If you remove the iron from the Molex plug and sensor board from the board side still take 4 amp?

Reply #5014
So i ended up connecting the board to my lab psu to check whether everything was functional got the sleep sensor working with a board that came with my kit from tindie. But then once it comes off of sleep and is going to heat up it trips my PSU. I checked all connections and everything is wired up correctly. To me this looks like that the load is too high or that there is a short however i checked all wiring thoroughly and i've seen people pull 5a 30v just fine out of this PSU.

Video of the issue: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/802204693756510223/844884660890107904/20210520_024003.mp4
First you need to clean your board thoroughly from the used flux ( we don't know. what they used ), Power supply needs to supply at least 6A/24V without changing to CC mode in normal condition. If you suspect short, check Q2, Q8, and if the JBC245 is recognized correctly. I would use slowly heating tool like Hakko 907 and 200 C* (low-temperature settings ), the time of fixing.
And don't forget - Earth and GND never have to be connected together !!! CHECK that

Reply #5015
@minkok
How do you explain that he managed to get it working with no problems and as soon he gets the board out of sleep it will get damaged? Could it be that low amp damage the PCB components in any way?

His power supply should be fine 24v DC @ 6A (30v DC @ 5A ) however just tested mine using his same tip and inrush amps were found 5.3amp.

Re Heat not sure that his power supply is able to inject low voltage while going in CC to spot what is getting hot by touch or thermal camera.

Reply #5016
@minkok
How do you explain that he managed to get it working with no problems and as soon he gets the board out of sleep it will get damaged? Could it be that low amp damage the PCB components in any way?

His power supply should be fine 24v DC @ 6A (30v DC @ 5A ) however just tested mine using his same tip and inrush amps were found 5.3amp.

Re Heat not sure that his power supply is able to inject low voltage while going in CC to spot what is getting hot by touch or thermal camera.
I don't want to speculate with his power supply unit and how it behaves when it changes modes ( most likely it is by a relay ). I want to give to him a direction to follow and some helpful info maybe he misses out on the time of reading.

Reply #5017
Yesterday I received a C210 handle and tip. It gets recognized and works.

But: somewhere in my Unisolder something is clicking quite loudly along with the power regulation.

Could it be the transformer not playing nice with the quarter power regulation? It's a 24v 120va toroid, so a bit undersized. Could that be an issue?

Has anyone experienced similar?

Reply #5018
Yesterday I received a C210 handle and tip. It gets recognized and works.

But: somewhere in my Unisolder something is clicking quite loudly along with the power regulation.

Could it be the transformer? It's a 24v 120va toroid, so a bit undersized. Could that be an issue?

C210 around 40W, while C245-120W and is definitely not undersized for C210. Open the case and use some plastic tube to your ear to detect the position of the noise ( check for sparks, or capacitors ).
I got also a new T245 by I2C from china, very nice work ( got it on sale, half price, of course with defect ), but every bad for good.  As Afedorov said a long time ago - better tip control. Look at the pic

Reply #5019
I want to give to him a direction to follow and some helpful info maybe he misses out on the time of reading.

Ok Np.

I have C210 and have no noise, Tested on 120va and still no noise, Inrush AC max is 3.2amp.
Hope it helps.

Reply #5020
C210 around 40W, while C245-120W and is definitely not undersized for C210. Open the case and use some plastic tube to your ear to detect the position of the noise ( check for sparks, or capacitors ).

Good tip about using a tube to localize the noise. The noise in fact does emanate from the transformer. Weird. I'll be looking for a replacement

Reply #5021
Good tip about using a tube to localize the noise. The noise in fact does emanate from the transformer. Weird. I'll be looking for a replacement
If Trf. works fine with T245, you can save money, by impregnation it with some transformer varnish and bake it after or follow varnish instructions.

Reply #5022
you can save money, by impregnation it with some transformer varnish.

the varnish will not get rid of the defect of the core or windings.

Reply #5023
I have put together a ready built board from tindie last week, I have use it 5 times, now I am having an issue with different errors and issues.
If I do not connect the iron it work normal, after I connect iron I get Error 21 for 4 secs followed by Error 45.
Swicth off / on solve the issue but iron remain not hot and after few secs I get again Error 45.
Any idea what it could be or what I could do wrong?

Reply #5024
I modified Unsolder, now it can support JBC 210/245/470, :D
https://youtu.be/ZkZEZpO0bVU