Skip to main content
Topic: Really universal soldering controller (Read 818299 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Really universal soldering controller

Reply #4831
After the update I have a white line: https://ibb.co/98gLj4B
What happened to your display? Interleaved rows at the bottom are definitely caused by physical damage. Regarding two column image shift - check Sparky's post here http://dangerousprototypes.com/forum/index.php?topic=7218.msg71563#msg71563

Reply #4832
What happened to your display? Interleaved rows at the bottom are definitely caused by physical damage. Regarding two column image shift - check Sparky's post here http://dangerousprototypes.com/forum/index.php?topic=7218.msg71563#msg71563

I damaged it a when I dissassembled the front because I bricked it. I uploaded the bootloader + firmware version first and then because I had said line, I uploaded the standalone over usb and bricked it.
The issue was there before that, even the rows at the bottom directly after I flashed the new firmware.  I will look at the board when I am home.

Could you recommend a display from aliexpress I can use to repair it?

Thanks!

Reply #4833
If you're using the original OLED board, then pretty much any 1.3~1.5" OLED display with 30 pin connector would work. It'll be either SSD1306 or SH1106 and the current firmware support both of these, all you have to do is to adjust R69 accordingly.

Reply #4834

I would not recommend Aliexpress at all since they changed the policy for FEB 2021, your rights now are ZERO if you complain or open a dispute it is very likely to say bye to your account (BANNED). So if you do not receive the parcel will mean forget it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/0-96-inch-OLED-display-Module-SSD1306IIC-interface-30Pin-resolution-128-64/174525046632?hash=item28a280df68:g:CCMAAOSw4MdftiKn

I suggest eBay or Utsource if you want to go cheap.

Tronix

:: Aliexpress Policy Feb 2021  ::

Allowed:
You can open a dispute if you didn't receive the item and you haven’t been able to resolve the issue directly with the seller
You can open a dispute if the item you received didn’t match the product description or`s broken

Not allowed:
Opening dispute and say that you have not received the goods, even if it is not true
If you claim that the goods do not match the product description, but the goods match the product description.
Opening a dispute when you received a refund from the seller or a refund from your payment service provider
Opening a dispute against a seller as a form of retaliation following previous disputes
You are threatening to open a dispute against a seller in order to obtain a discount or additional goods and services
Excessive opening of buyer protection cases
Be sure to follow the above instructions. Otherwise, Aliexpess could have undergone a number of disciplinary measures, including limiting your purchasing rights and suspending or terminating your account. In addition, if it suspends or terminates Aliexpress your account, it may also suspend or terminate all accounts (including newly created) that Aliexpress considers being related to you. All this on the basis of the information it has about the relevant accounts (registration information, credit card information, and computer information). In short, act by the rules and you should avoid cancelling your account. Be in touch with sellers, and if you are afraid that your purchase protection is running out, prolong it.

Reply #4835
I would not recommend Aliexpress at all since they changed the policy for FEB 2021, your rights now are ZERO if you complain or open a dispute it is very likely to say bye to your account (BANNED). So if you do not receive the parcel will mean forget it.
That is your opinion, from what I read :: Aliexpress Policy Feb 2021  :: nothing wrong with it
To be honest, I don't have a dispute since Feb 2021

:: Aliexpress Policy Feb 2021  ::

Allowed:
You can open a dispute if you didn't receive the item and you haven’t been able to resolve the issue directly with the seller
You can open a dispute if the item you received didn’t match the product description or`s broken

Not allowed:
Opening dispute and say that you have not received the goods, even if it is not true
If you claim that the goods do not match the product description, but the goods match the product description.
Opening a dispute when you received a refund from the seller or a refund from your payment service provider
Opening a dispute against a seller as a form of retaliation following previous disputes
You are threatening to open a dispute against a seller in order to obtain a discount or additional goods and services
Excessive opening of buyer protection cases
Be sure to follow the above instructions. Otherwise, Aliexpess could have undergone a number of disciplinary measures, including limiting your purchasing rights and suspending or terminating your account. In addition, if it suspends or terminates Aliexpress your account, it may also suspend or terminate all accounts (including newly created) that Aliexpress considers being related to you. All this on the basis of the information it has about the relevant accounts (registration information, credit card information, and computer information). In short, act by the rules and you should avoid cancelling your account. Be in touch with sellers, and if you are afraid that your purchase protection is running out, prolong it.
What is wrong here?

Reply #4836
What is wrong here?

3 months waiting for a parcel, the seller ignores you and open 1 dispute and get the account banned for 1.50 USD, this happened to the people I know who are in another electronics forum.

I know this stuff does not happen on eBay so why I cannot suggest something better, The item I suggested is still coming from China Sellers.  Many people think selecting ALiexpress is better but considering waiting 2-3 months and your rights are zero with zero support is not good.  Let's say Aliexpress changed for the worse since before you could get support, now you can chat with a  robot all day which lead to nowhere if you need help.

As a customer, you should always have the rights to open a dispute. The worst that can happen is they declined your dispute.
Ban someone because he opened one dispute for 1.50USD is just Bad service at best. Like this case, I can share 100's of people but I believe you have google and can do this yourself.

I am from Italy and not all parcels arrive in time or they just vanish when they come from CHINA.
I do not buy from Aliexpress so anything they do is fine with me but still, it is good to let people know that they change policy from time to time to control what they say Buyer protection program.

I forget to mention that 25% of the Chinese sellers on aliexpress are dishonest and use FAKE TRACKING SYSTEM. So if you are unlucky and open a dispute with these fake tracking numbers good luck getting your rights.   This is like being in China as a tourist and commit something against a Chinese person, if you end in court your rights are zero and always the Chinese person win.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Aliexpress/comments/7px45d/how_to_deal_with_fake_tracking_numbers_scam/

I can list more but for now, it is enough wrong here.

Tronix

Reply #4837
I buy stuff fairly often via Aliexpress... and only one time had issues with a fake tracking number. I immediately opened a dispute with a picture for proof that the item was delivered to an address far away from mine and got my money back with no issues whatsoever.
I've had different problems with sellers over the years - ranging from 'no delivery' to 'wrong item' or 'wrong item description'. But i've had never any issues settling those problems via the Aliexpress customer service. Even a month ago, when a seller sent me the wrong item - he apologized and promised me to send the right one asap. And it arrived a couple of days ago...

Yes... there may be a lot more dishonest sellers on Aliexpress than on eBay. But it seems to me Aliexpress does its fair amount of customer protection service nonetheless. It's not perfect for sure. But even eBays isn't perfect. But they know: it wouldn't do them any favors scaring buyers away with some sort of zero right and protection guidelines for customers. Aliexpress and eBay are selling plattforms - so they need both: sellers AND buyers.

Reply #4838
Yes... there may be a lot more dishonest sellers on Aliexpress than on eBay.

RE dishonest they do not have in mind to steal your money but the reason they do it is to get their money as soon as possible and avoid waiting weeks/Months. Usually, these tracking numbers end in BE which stands for Belgium Post. It will show delivered after 10 days but your real parcel will have a standard Chinese number which normally provided by a global shipping agent.

A seller on Aliexpress have very strict rules and normally they avoid get a dispute even if they know they are going to lose money but the new policy gives an advantage to the seller since it is a must that you communicate with the seller if a problem occurred, even if the seller ignores you, you have to keep trying no matter the value.

Re Scams / Hacked accounts no place is safe, I have seen scams on Amazon, eBay so always uses common sense when buying online but the difference here is the customer support which on ALiexpress 2021 have none.

If anyone in here has in mind to buy in bulk you can try www.utsource.net this offer good prices for electronics parts and the service I got for the past years is awesome (zero issues great support),  if you are not on a budget still I suggest big websites for your electronics parts Farnell, TME etc.

Stay safe.

Reply #4839
Been using Aliexpress for years (diamond member). Of course there have been issues, but these were always resolved between myself and the seller, or via a dispute. This week I received a case to put a self made headphone pre-amp in, and the seller sent the wrong specification front plate. I chatted with the seller and within 5 minutes, the seller posted pictures of him putting the replacement front plate in an envelope to be sent out to me. All good.

The most recent dispute was two weeks ago (wrong item delivered, Aliexpress ruled in my favor seeing the evidence I provided). My experience with the Aliexpress dispute system has been quite good to be honest. The only issue I have ever had is getting a partial refund on an item where I should have gotten a full refund in my opinion. But this is one issue in all these years with more than 150 orders.

I haven't used Ebay for ages because their shipping cost is usually outrageous. I find Aliexpress better in every way for the typical things I order usually.

Somehow I think some countries have a lot more issues in receiving parcels from China than others. I live in The Netherlands, and parcels show up basically all the time.

Reply #4840

A seller on Aliexpress have very strict rules and normally they avoid get a dispute even if they know they are going to lose money but the new policy gives an advantage to the seller since it is a must that you communicate with the seller if a problem occurred, even if the seller ignores you, you have to keep trying no matter the value.

Where do you get that impression from? Because in the rules you quote yourself it clearly states:

"Allowed:
You can open a dispute if you didn't receive the item and you haven’t been able to resolve the issue directly with the seller"

So yes, you can certainly open a dispute and win it if your item was lost in transit. It does take a ridiculous amount of time before you can open such a dispute in my experience, but hey.

Reply #4841
@Doomedahab
Agreed. I live in Germany and my experience is almost the same... even down to the one case, where i only got a partial refund (even though i thought i deserved a full refund).

Reply #4842
Where do you get that impression from?

You can open a dispute when the system allows you with this corona Aliexpress extended the time window to 3 months now instead of 60days. Maybe I am not clear on this If you open a dispute when the system lets you without ever communicate with the seller is Instant perm Ban if you are unlucky with the new rules even if the seller never replies to your messages.

Where do you get that impression from?
They are not impressions but I have friends that have an Online store on Aliexpress and I know both sides of what is happening. 

A seller did a lot of 'hard' work to get his store going and in most cases also paid big money to have thousands of fake reviews so losing his account for a stupid dispute is not even considered an option.  If you try to get fake reviews on Amazon or eBay you will end  Instant terminate of the account but Aliexpress till today they do not care if reviews are fake or real people so this is another reason why eBay is better.

Re Aliexpress, if you follow the above which is to communicate with the seller and provide all evidence that you have should be fine unless you open 5 disputes in 1 month which will also get your own account perm banned even if it is not your fault but by the time that happens, you will be working on another project, so ask yourself if it is worth the hassle to go through all this in the first place to save up little money when there are other options with providing better shipping methods and maybe better products.

I have no valid reason or profit to promote any link but I am just suggesting what works for me in Italy.
My work depends on having electronics parts in time so I cannot afford to wait 2-3 months for a single part to arrive but my budget is open.

Reply #4843
so ask yourself if it is worth the hassle to go through all this in the first place to save up little money when there are other options with providing better shipping methods and maybe better products.
You've already said it: WHEN there are other options - but sometimes simply there aren't any. Sometimes you need to buy some kind of "exotic" plug or IC your electronic wholesale dealer does not supply and you can't find on eBay (and certainly not on Amazon). What to do then? Maybe it's available on Mouser or Digikey - but i don't see the point in buying one simple 5€ item when the shipment costs additional 4, 5 or sometimes even 10 times of the items price (as it is the case for me with Mouser/Digikey orders under 50€).

In the last years i discovered some international electronic wholesale dealers - namely tme.eu (from Poland) and lcsc.com (from China) - which (thanks to warehouses in my own country) have reasonable pricing for their shipments and a fairly large selection of electronic parts. It's larger then the selection of my local suppliers... but sadly not as large as the selection Mouser or Digikey provide. So a lot of times it's still inevitable to buy from Aliexpress if i don't want to pay 30€ for a 5€ item. It's as simple as that. And (as i wrote): i don't had any bad experiences while buying over Aliexpress. I try to avoid buying there when i need parts as soon as possible. But when time doesn't matter i don't care buying there...

Reply #4844
@tronix I am not discounting your friends experience, or your own. To me, opening a dispute is the next action you take after you try to solve things with the seller. I have never received anything but prompt reactions within the required time frames from the Aliexpress team in cases where the seller did not respond or responded in a way that forced me to open a dispute. I do feel that the time you need to wait is too long in some cases, but it is what it is. If I am not willing to wait, I order somewhere else to not run this risk. It is part of the deal when ordering from China.

My impression (not saying you dit this!) is that a lot of times, people just open a dispute to get easy money back when not warranted, and Aliexpress if trying to cut down on abuse like that. It takes two to tango as they say.

Nobody is forced to buy there, but in my experience, the range of items Aliexpress offers, for the prices they offer them at, nobody comes close in many cases.