Skip to main content
Topic: Really universal soldering controller (Read 763606 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Really universal soldering controller

Reply #4470
1. Program it with latest bootloader.
2. Press the button of the encoder.
3. Switch on the power.
4. Within 1 second release the button.

Entering bootloader mode with both left and right buttons pressed while powering up does not work anymore, because of the encoder support.

Can I update the bootloader with the PC software? Or only with pickit?

Reply #4471
PicKit only. And you definitely must update it if you intent to use encoder.

Reply #4472
Delete

Reply #4473
This looks like a short but I cannot confirm unless checked.

Not. I have checked in microscope.

MCP6V27-E/SN 100% fake, marking D18-D19, D20-D21, U14?

D18-D19 JCA15F
D20-D21 A7W98
U14  R1C

Reply #4474
Not. I have checked in microscope.

From the photos you posted I would add another question:
Are you sure you do not have any damage on the PCB besides PIN 5 on the PIC?

I notice a deep stretch near U16 but only you can confirm that is nothing using a multimeter while following the tracks on the PCB.

Reply #4475
I could just remove the pull-down resistors and put pull-up resistors between the relevant pins on the back of the board,  on the encoder header, right?
You can just add 5.1k pullups to the existing 33k pulldowns - logic levels will be still correct, just to save work

Reply #4476
From the photos you posted I would add another question:
Are you sure you do not have any damage on the PCB besides PIN 5 on the PIC?

I notice a deep stretch near U16 but only you can confirm that is nothing using a multimeter while following the tracks on the PCB.

Around PIC and U16 is all are good. More components have resoldered....

Reply #4477
You can just add 5.1k pullups to the existing 33k pulldowns - logic levels will be still correct, just to save work

Too late :-)

Anyway, the Bourns optical encoder works fine without the pull down resistors. I added 5.6K pull up resistors (I have no 5.1K ones) to the CUI Devices optical encoder and now it works too. I will keep this one for sure. A much, much nicer encoder than the Bourns in my opinion.

I also like that it is a bit "slower", meaning you have to turn more to get the same output. This one works best with encoder option 1 or 2 in the menu.

Reply #4478
I used since a while a Holder sensor that was I think drawn by Minkok.
And it worked without a problem for quite a while. Now recently it started to break the temperature sensing for my T245, when the holder is connected to it and the Iron in the holder, the temperature is only detected as very low.
I need to add, I only connected the holder circuit and did not add the tip change part of it.

I already measured out the whole iron-in-holder-sense board for shorts or wrong connections,  but it seems fine (for the schematics attached).
I saw when reading through the thread there is a lot more complicated versions now with resistors and diodes, is it because this one had problems and I need to change it?

Reply #4479
And it worked without a problem for quite a while. Now recently it started to break the temperature sensing for my T245, when the holder is connected to it and the Iron in the holder, the temperature is only detected as very low.
I need to add, I only connected the holder circuit and did not add the tip change part of it.

I already measured out the whole iron-in-holder-sense board for shorts or wrong connections,  but it seems fine (for the schematics attached).
I saw when reading through the thread there is a lot more complicated versions now with resistors and diodes, is it because this one had problems and I need to change it?

This is the the original  simple version by DinikS. It gets destroyed quite easily if you do not add a diode and a 200k resistor between the circuit and the touch plates.. The newer versions  have these safety measures added to the circuit.

Reply #4480
Sparky, I looks like pull up resistors prevent the station to go to sleep, does that make sense?

Reply #4481
  . . .
My sensor board is also without a input protection and it works just fine, for 3 years I replaced IC only ones ( not because of damage, just for a suspection, to be sure with HEF4001, original design was CD4001 ). Users had a damaged IC, that was couse to make the protection. If that simple schematic is good for you, just replace IC and add 200k to the input in series, Diode in series is recommended if the sch. doesn't work.

Reply #4483
Or rather, the lack of pull down resistors?

Hmm. The behaviour seems to be unique to the CUI encoder. The Bourns works with the pull up and pull down resistors attached, including sleep.

The Cui Devices encoder seems to prevent sleep, although it does work sometimes. The holder temp works, it just will not go to sleep temp and standby (zzz).

Does anybody have an idea why this would be? And more importantly, how to attempt to fix it?

Reply #4484
Update: I tested longer with the Bourns encoder while leaving the pull ups in place to pinpoint the true cause of the sleep function not working.

While sleep functions more often with the bourns encoder compared to the Cui encoder, it does not work all the time. So it does seem that the pull up resistors cause some interference with the sleep function in unisolder, limiting the choice of type of encoder to use.