Skip to main content
Topic: Really universal soldering controller (Read 773928 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Really universal soldering controller

Reply #3376
I got stange behavier
I found out, that behavier is comming from the input ( when controller switch on heater, it inducts and the input is trigered - I need to check that ) and it is not related to the update. Is it possible someone to confirm that?

Reply #3377
I found out, that behavier is comming from the input ( when controller switch on heater, it inducts and the input is trigered - I need to check that ) and it is not related to the update. Is it possible someone to confirm that?

I actually noticed the same thing I think with my touch sensor (different design) after this latest update

If I turn unisolder OFF then ON again is it ok

Reply #3378
I actually noticed the same thing I think with my touch sensor (different design) after this latest update

If I turn unisolder OFF then ON again is it ok
It is not from software, I can see input voltage and also when I change the pen with Hakko FX8801 it behaves normal, may be some connections of the handle, I'll check them.

Reply #3379
There is always some voltage difference (and noise) between GND and tip's outer shell when the power is turnes on and off, especially on 1/2 ans 1/4 power, and no firmware can prevent this. This is exactly why I made and using optical holder sensor - no galvanic connection, no problem.

Reply #3380
New version uploaded:

New:
- Controller is now able to read cold junction sensor in the iron, if present (currently made on PACE TD100/TD200)
- Display detection is changed - SH1106 users must install resistor between CS and GND
- The project can also be compiled with latest XC32 (2.50) with legacy peripheral libraries installed

The project is here:
https://github.com/sparkybg/UniSolder-5.2

HEX files can be downloaded form here:
https://github.com/sparkybg/UniSolder-5.2/tree/main/software/front/US_Firmware.X/dist

Reply #3381
That's great! Will we still need to get the commercial license of XC32 to be able to compile a version that fits on the micro?

Reply #3382
Yes. Otherwise it does not fit in ...f064 mcu, and I dont know how it will behave without optimisations even if it was able to fit.

Reply #3383
There is always some voltage difference (and noise) between GND and tip's outer shell when the power is turnes on and off, especially on 1/2 ans 1/4 power, and no firmware can prevent this. This is exactly why I made and using optical holder sensor - no galvanic connection, no problem.

Hi Sparky,

Thanks, It's not a big problem for me currently but maybe I will compile firmware with this change reverted in future
  • Instruments starts at 1/4 power and ramp up when needed (was opposite)

I agree that optical sensor is much superior. but for me it is not worth modification to holder to fit it, and I can also sense tip changing plate

Reply #3384
Hi Sparky,

Thanks, It's not a big problem for me currently but maybe I will compile firmware with this change reverted in future
  • Instruments starts at 1/4 power and ramp up when needed (was opposite)

I agree that optical sensor is much superior. but for me it is not worth modification to holder to fit it, and I can also sense tip changing plate

It's your choice, but IMHO, this is a bit like changing your car with inferior one because you don't like how tires behave in winters. :)

Every problem has a solution. Think a little why my holder sensor has a MCU in it, no matter how cheap it is. ;) Then think a little why two holders next to each one does not interfere with each other, despite using same IR components, same frequency on them and so on.

I don't know exactly how the sensor you are using works, but the problem is neither in the controller nor in it's firmware/features.

Reply #3385
That's great! Will we still need to get the commercial license of XC32 to be able to compile a version that fits on the micro?

By the way, the project is at the very edge of available memory even with optimizations for size. My both controllers are using PIC32MX564F128H instead, including the one that I bought ready from tindie.

And because it seems like from the very beginning of the thread that on the schematics there is PIC32MX564F128H, I am thinking more and more of switching to it.

A long time ago I started a project with PIC32MX534F064H and still the project is made with this in mind, despite that I replaced it with a MCU with double RAM/FLASH capacity.

The thing is, I don't know if someone is using the smaller MCU at all, so I am a bit afraid to change it.

Reply #3386
It's your choice, but IMHO, this is a bit like changing your car with inferior one because you don't like how tires behave in winters. :)

Every problem has a solution. Think a little why my holder sensor has a MCU in it, no matter how cheap it is. ;) Then think a little why two holders next to each one does not interfere with each other, despite using same IR components, same frequency on them and so on.

I don't know exactly how the sensor you are using works, but the problem is neither in the controller nor in it's firmware/features.

Problem is 100% with my sensor, as It is very simple. With more effort I could add MCU too or make other changes but for now I am ok driving my junk car to work (because my mind is thinking about my jet boat ;) )

Reply #3387
By the way, the project is at the very edge of available memory even with optimizations for size. My both controllers are using PIC32MX564F128H instead, including the one that I bought ready from tindie.

And because it seems like from the very beginning of the thread that on the schematics there is PIC32MX564F128H, I am thinking more and more of switching to it.

A long time ago I started a project with PIC32MX534F064H and still the project is made with this in mind, despite that I replaced it with a MCU with double RAM/FLASH capacity.

The thing is, I don't know if someone is using the smaller MCU at all, so I am a bit afraid to change it.

In my opinion anyone with PIC32MX534F064H should accept the limitation as long as it's mentioned on github and a compiled hex of the last compatible version remains available. We already received more firmware updates from you than (at least I) expected, and they can always upgrade to PIC32MX564F128H if they decide they want latest firmware

Reply #3388
I agree with @hugburger, I think the current existing firmware is more then feature complete for the 064H MCUs.

@sparkybg  Are there any additional features that you were thinking of adding?

Reply #3389
From the next upload, the MCU will be 128H then.

...and XC32 V2.50 has optimisation level 1 in the free version, so it shouldn't be a problem to compile with free version. The code is just a little bit longer but the controller works as expected.

It does not work with optimisation level 0. Probably because at this level, inline functions are not inlined, but called, and some libraries won't work this way.