Skip to main content
Topic: Really universal soldering controller (Read 737128 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Really universal soldering controller

Reply #3075
Thank you Afedorov for posting the correct diagram and save a time. His diagram is wrong from the beginning ( Vadc is over and from there is coming the rest, no on-off and other mish-mash calc.) Needs to be checked some points. Vref at U5/p16, U11/p6 and also -0.6V at U16/p5, U18/p4, U13/p4, to check again if calibration passes correct.
Need to be sure that Vadc is in correct range to find out what is wrong, Vadc or controller readings.

Reply #3076
Hi,

@afedorov:
thanks for the nice idea regarding the original .hex file. On the old microcontroller I replaced that did not work. But, interestingly, on the new one the original hex file does work. so, thank you for that idea. The temperature does now show something other than room temperature, something that might actually resemble the iron's tip's temperature, but I haven't measured with a thermometer yet.

One more problem remains. From my understanding, the original -Os optimization level was necessary to fit the firmware into the microctonrollers memory. The pic used in the schematics (PIC32MX564F128H) does have enough memory to fit the firmware even without -Os. So, I got the free version of XC32 v1.33, and compiling with -O1 works so far, I do not get any errors or warnings. I'd like to do this, because I want to change a few things regarding the display and the user input. So, when I program the microcontroller with the successfully build .hex file, I get the same problem as before. The displayed temperature is stuck at room temperature.
Am I doing something wrong? Because I saw that @afedorov managed to compile the source code (I assume he also tested if it works on his unisolder) with the free version of XC32 (which version, btw?), see this post.

Thank you for the whole support I got up to now, I really really appreciate it.

Reply #3077
for everyone who wants to understand how I connect my soldering irons all together, I sketched a rough diagram and I think that this will be clear to everyone

Reply #3078
From my understanding, the original -Os optimization level was necessary to fit the firmware into the microctonrollers memory.
If I remember correctly, Sparky really accents that -Os is required. Firmware is highly performance optimized using all sorts of tricks, so maybe some compiler features  are really required for proper functioning. It may be even compiler version dependent. And even without -Os program size is well below 64k.
I assume he also tested if it works on his unisolder
No, it's not tested in hardware. It's just a successful build to prove environment integrity as the discussion was on installing and configuring MPLAB and its stuff. Compiler version was 2.41.
I've tested free v2.41 build just now and it works OK with T245.

Reply #3079
Hi,

so, I just tried compiling with XC32 v2.50, of course after installing the legacy plib. Without any optimisation the firmware compiles, but does not run properly on the microcontroller. The iron's temperature is not stuck at room temperature, but very erratic, in my case basically useless, because the regulation does not work properly as far as I can see.
With all optimisations (the free version permits) enabled, the firmware compiles and runs on the microcontroller without any problem. The same code compiled with v1.33 (free version, regardless of the settings) does not work on the microcontroller and shows the symptoms I had earlier.

So, I guess my main problem was the compiler version, for me v1.33 does not work at all. Maybe the microcontroller really was faulty, too, but I am not that sure anymore...

Reply #3080
That's strange. v1.33 is the version original HEX files compiled with. Maybe the problem is just intermittent.

Reply #3081
Hi,

maybe v1.33 really only works with -Os (which I cannot do, free version, I do not know. I can only tell you that if I compile with v1.33, regardless of the settings available to me, I get the behaviour I described earlier.

Should you guys need help further developing the unisolder and need help, feel free to hit me up, I'd be interested, if I am of any help to you.

Reply #3083
for everyone who wants to understand how I connect my soldering irons all together, I sketched a rough diagram and I think that this will be clear to everyone
Thanks

Reply #3084
kage-chan, are you using NoOptiomization profile with no bootloader or tweaked the linker script with free v1.33?
Code compiled with free v1.33 is indeed doesn't fit 064H MCU and switching to 128H requires appropriate linker script if bootloader is desired.
Newer compilers has WAY better optimization (or Microchip ease restrictions in free version).

Reply #3085
Hi,

I've tried both NoOpt (-O0) and best possible optimization with the free compiler (-O1 for v.133), without bootloader. So in my opinion using any newer XC32 is better, if you don't have the pro version. The newer version seem to permit a lot more optimizations, yes.

Reply #3086
Hmm, still some weird behaviour, which might indicate a problem: When I touch the plates with my hand, the sensor acts as if the hand piece is in the holder.
I think, now that is fixed for frequencies over 50 Hz at the input. Look here:

Reply #3087
Schematic in principal should work, just needs proper alignment. Changed a bit:

Reply #3088
Schematic in principal should work, just needs proper alignment. Changed a bit:

That is great news! So I gather this is an updated version of the touch sensing board?

Reply #3089
That is great news! So I gather this is an updated version of the touch sensing board?
Yep, you can. Note, it is not checked yet, but if you want, I can design  a board for you to check it exactly where it is needed.
After that I can publish the design. Just tell me.
Also, if you wish,  you can try it first on the fly, without creating a new board.