Skip to main content
Topic: Really universal soldering controller (Read 738812 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Really universal soldering controller

Reply #3061
Now I have better look at it, it is really a nice case.

Thanks! I'm still tweaking some things but the core is for the most part done.

Does anyone know if we can bump up the max power for the T245? I know it's currently configured to 130 Watts but was wondering if there was any reason from bumping it up to 150 or 160. I currently have a 160 VA transformer.

Reply #3062

Does anyone know if we can bump up the max power for the T245? I know it's currently configured to 130 Watts but was wondering if there was any reason from bumping it up to 150 or 160. I currently have a 160 VA transformer.

The maximum output current in the firmware is 6A (found in PID.c) @ 24V = 144 Watts, so if you want to set profile above that you will have to change code slightly

I have 160VA transformer too and would offer to test, but I'm not sure about process to build hex if you need XC32 v1.33 compiler (paid)?

Reply #3063

Just start using it and you will soon realize why you don't need more powerful one. Current is a software limited to 5A. If you need more power use bigger tips.

Reply #3064
X

Reply #3065
Just start using it and you will soon realize why you don't need more powerful one. Current is a software limited to 5A. If you need more power use bigger tips.

Good to know, thanks for the advice 🙂

Just wanted to post some more renders of the case! Added in the screws and a polycarbonate screen protector to the front so the front panel display cutout should now be flush with the polycarb protector. Also testing an addon for a T245/T210 quick tip changer based on the JBC S3-B Quick Tip Changer. Also thanks @sparkybg for providing the 3D models of the PCBs for my models and renders!

I also added additional photos of the interior to the prusaprints link I had before.

Reply #3066
Does anyone have an extra touch sensor board? Just want to check before I order pants and pcbs

Reply #3067
Hi guys,

I measure -0.4 volts on the -0.6V branch. What could be the problem?

Reply #3068
Hi guys,

I measure -0.4 volts on the -0.6V branch. What could be the problem?

Ok, i solve the issue. I connect the front pcba, and the voltage is -0.6V.

Reply #3069
Hi Guys,

I'm trying flash the bootloader. And I get an error message from mlab x ipe:

"Warning: J:\UniSolder5.2project\software\UniSolder52_Software\front\US_BootLoader.X\dist\PIC32\production\US_BootLoader.X.production.hex code overlaps current code and will overwrite it."

And:

"The following memory area(s) will be programmed:
MPLAB's memory is blank so no programming operation was attempted.
2020-09-25 16:20:57 +0200 - Programming complete"

What could be the problem? Has anyone encountered a similar error?

Reply #3070
it was my first experiments on all types of soldering irons that I could buy, now it’s a little bit different due to the fact that I slightly adjusted the pid controls for each soldering iron separately and what you saw on this video didn’t work correctly since all the tools were powered from 24v, I described in more detail in the comments under my video
Hi talkos
Great job...i just love what you've done, by using all those "handles" in one Unisolder. Do you have any schematics?
Thanks in advance

Reply #3071
Hey guys,

it's been a while, I've been doing a few other projects, but now I've come back to my Unisolder.

As a reminder: Everything worked so far (analog path was ok, all MOSFETS ok, tip is ok (heats up), handle is ok, no shorts or otherwise faulty solder joints visible). But, everything I plug the handle with the tip into the station, the displayed temperature is stuck at room temperature, ever though the iron is rapidly heating up.
When in calibration mode, the PC software shows this:

Looks very nice, this makes me believe that the analog path is definitely working as intended. The following image is from the PC software when I connect the handle with a tip inserted:

The ADC value again is as intended (or at least I think it looks as intended), but the current temperature graph is absolutely wacky. To my understanding this should be a more or less smooth line, too, right?

So, that was the situation back in may (last message). No I finally ordered a new µC, in the hopes that I had just in some strange way fried the PIC and replaced it.

Well... No. Either the old PIC was absolutely ok or I got another broken one with exactly the same defect. Unlikely. I've played around a bit with my MPLAB compiler settings and tried enabling optimization (-O2), but that did not change anything either.

So, to my understanding basically the problem is the "conversion" from the ADC's value to the temperature value. Is there ANY hardware, besides the µC, involved into this conversion? I basically already replaced everything bu the crystal, but I think if the crystal was defective I'd be having far more problems. I couldn't find anything from the schematics, bus I'm no experts on pic, maybe there is something external involved. Or does some pin, besides the ADC pin, on the µC have to be in some state for the temperature conversion to be triggered or working properly? I think I can rule out the µC being defective. But to be honest, I am having a really hard time understanding the firmware code, I think other people here have a far firmer understanding of the code. And help or guidance is appreciated.

Reply #3072
Hey guys, i struggle a bit in identifying wich pin is wich on J2, J3 and J9.
The silkscreen doesnt really help in terms of orientation like with J4 and J8.
Could anybody provide me with a picture?

Reply #3073
Hey guys, i struggle a bit in identifying wich pin is wich on J2, J3 and J9.
The silkscreen doesnt really help in terms of orientation like with J4 and J8.

Sorry, no picture from me, but text information. All "directions" when you've got the PCB with the silkscreen oriented towards you, so readable to you:
J2:
top right: vout2+
bot right: vout2-
top left: vout1-
bot left: vout1+

J3:
top right + bot left: GND
bot right: -0.6V
top left: 3.3V

J9:
don't know this one, but using the gerber files you should easily be able to find out.

Reply #3074
I've played around a bit with my MPLAB compiler settings and tried enabling optimization (-O2), but that did not change anything either.
Just to clarify, did you tried the original Sparky's HEX files or always play with your custom build?
Can't see how CTemp calculation may be affected by hardware. Though, may be by the wave shaping code somehow. But it can be  disabled by changing WSLength in the iron profile to 0. Or heater resistance compensation, which should be 0 anyway for T245. The rest is basically calculating mV from ADC value and polynomial temperature calculation. It's not hardware dependent in any way. Also, I don't understand how CTemp can change that rapidly. In the moments when it's not at room temperature, it shows pretty much correct readings.
Here is how it should perform.