Skip to main content
Topic: Really universal soldering controller (Read 718206 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Really universal soldering controller

Reply #2880
Hi,

tried reversing the red and green wires ind the handle's connector, still, no change.

As for the FW, I am still using sparkybg's code from the original post, which hasn't been update for quite a while. Might that be an issue? You guys seems to be working on the FW...

It just came to my mind, I did modify the FW before, because I'm using a different display (SSD1603, twice the size of the original, had to flip text). I'll check with the original FW again, even though, I honestly don't think I broke it THAT much...

Edit: Ok, just tried the original FW from the first post without any modifications, no success either.
Does anybody have a list of TC output voltages for different temperatures (including RT, please) for the C245 cartridges?
And, can anyone point me to the place in the FW code where I can change the delay between turning off the heater and measuring the TC voltage? Would try increasing the settling time for the TC...

Reply #2881
Original FW is perfectly fine. And display code modifications shouldn't be a problem.
Changing PID flow is tricky. It uses timers and ISR. Timer values are calculated on init depending on AC/DC supply and AC frequency.
It's start from ln 135 in main.c. The problem isn't there, messing with it is pointless.
I've just tried to heat up C245 with hot air @270*C and got ADC value around 250,  maybe it helps somehow.
Actually, one path is remain unchecked - U16 pin 19, it's close to ground traces, maybe it is shorted to GND, ah, well, then B channel calibration would be screwed, never mind.

Reply #2882
kage-chan, try to check U13B or replace U13, check Vshunt line for a connection and proper soldering
resolder Rs1

Reply #2883
Hi,

So, finally got around to try a few things again.

I've just tried to heat up C245 with hot air @270*C and got ADC value around 250,  maybe it helps somehow.

That helped tremendously, indeed! Thank you! Now I know the wiring is ok and the OpAmps work correctly. When I let the tip heat up for around 3-4 seconds, I get a similar ADC reading, slightly above 220, seems to be about right. So in my eyes now the wiring is ok, the OpAmps are all ok and the cartridge is ok.

kage-chan, try to check U13B or replace U13, check Vshunt line for a connection and proper soldering
resolder Rs1

Nice idea. From Rs1 up to U5:12 every trace, solder joint and connector has continuity and a very low resistance (not measurable with my DMM). While heating up the iron, I can measure about 500 mV at C59 with my DMM in DC mode (yes, I know, wrong tool, but that's all I got at hand right now). So that shows me that the vshunt path is doing at least something. Next time I get an oscilloscope in my hands I'll try graphing the voltage at C59.
In Cal mode all voltages along the vshunt path are zero in my case. To me, from the schematics it makes sence, but can somebody confirm that?

Reply #2885
Hi,

Doing a web search for that exact part number tunrs up this datasheet:
Datasheet

On page 7 it says:
Supply Voltage for Logic VDD min:-0.3; max:4 V
Supply Voltage for Display VCC min:0; max:11 V

Does that help?

Reply #2886
While heating up the iron, I can measure about 500 mV at C59 with my DMM in DC mode (yes, I know, wrong tool, but that's all I got at hand right now). So that shows me that the vshunt path is doing at least something. Next time I get an oscilloscope in my hands I'll try graphing the voltage at C59.
In Cal mode all voltages along the vshunt path are zero in my case. To me, from the schematics it makes sence, but can somebody confirm that?
That's a correct value, by calculation is 0.485V for 5A

If you have Vref =3V,
 -0.6v ok
good connection for Vadc- from C65 to U5
all input chain checked to be correct
What is left - U5 for a re soldering or a replacement

Reply #2887
Hi

First of all, say thank you to Sparkybg for all the work done in this project. I want to build my own Unisolder Station, and I order all the parts. So now I am waiting to arrive all the components.

Meanwhile, after reading some pages of this thread, I saw that one of the most wanted features is to use a rotary encoder to control Unisolder. I have a firmware modified for this, but dont know if it works or not, because I am waiting for the parts to build the project, but if anyone wants to try it in advance  I can give it.

Reply #2888
Hi,

What is left - U5 for a re soldering or a replacement

I completely resoldered U5, sadly without a change. U5 is brand new, I replaced it a week ago. I cannot replace it at the moment, because I do not have a replacement at hand.

Tomorrow I will reflow all components on the PCBs with a hot air soldering station, if that does not help I might retry using an reflow oven. But right now, I again am without the slightest clue, what might be wrong with the board.

Reply #2889
Tomorrow I will reflow all components on the PCBs with a hot air soldering station, if that does not help I might retry using an reflow oven. But right now, I again am without the slightest clue, what might be wrong with the board.
You can check all connectors also.
I had an issue, after using more than a year, I replaced Q10 and Q11 ( bought from Ali ), after that the station starts overshooting only at a low temperatures ( on the stand ), of course I blamed the fets, but soon after that I needed to disassemble it and after assembly everything was ok, I think it was from J2 iron connector.

Reply #2890
Hi

First of all, say thank you to Sparkybg for all the work done in this project. I want to build my own Unisolder Station, and I order all the parts. So now I am waiting to arrive all the components.

Meanwhile, after reading some pages of this thread, I saw that one of the most wanted features is to use a rotary encoder to control Unisolder. I have a firmware modified for this
                                                            . . .
Nice start, before you have the Unisolder, you start to help us

Reply #2891
Hi

Meanwhile, after reading some pages of this thread, I saw that one of the most wanted features is to use a rotary encoder to control Unisolder. I have a firmware modified for this, but dont know if it works or not, because I am waiting for the parts to build the project, but if anyone wants to try it in advance  I can give it.

Hey man, sounds like you're ahead of the game already haha. Could you share the FW? I think at least one member has a rotary installed already so we might be able to test.

Reply #2892
Of course I can share the FW. But I think it is better to try it before do a public release. So if someone have a rotary encoder send me a PM and I will send the FW. When we knows it work 100% properly I will do a public release. Thanks for undestand it.

Reply #2893
Hi,

so, I reflowed everything as promised the other day. But, no change, the temperature still is only room temperature. But, as an added bonus now the USB communication works, which previously did not work (found that out shortly before reflowing everything).

But, I have got an interesting change. Now the iron starts heating, even when I am in cal mode! Before it just showed me the TC voltage without heating. Now it starts heating the instant I plug the iron + cartridge in, no matter if I am in cal mode or normal mode.

Another very interesting thing I absolutely cannot make sense of is the iron ID. When I connect the handle only (without cartridge), it correctly shows 24 5 as IDs. When the cartridge is inserted, this changes to 24 8, even though "JBC C245" is still displayed as tool in the top of the display. And, as I said, it instantly start heating, even in cal mode...

Reply #2894

But, I have got an interesting change. Now the iron starts heating, even when I am in cal mode! Before it just showed me the TC voltage without heating. Now it starts heating the instant I plug the iron + cartridge in, no matter if I am in cal mode or normal mode.

Another very interesting thing I absolutely cannot make sense of is the iron ID. When I connect the handle only (without cartridge), it correctly shows 24 5 as IDs. When the cartridge is inserted, this changes to 24 8, even though "JBC C245" is still displayed as tool in the top of the display. And, as I said, it instantly start heating, even in cal mode...
You got Q2 &/or not Q8 fail or driven incorrectly, needs to be checked for  failed  parts ( or bad connections, soldering ) , but first measure V over C10 and C18, in cal. mode they should be very close to 0V