Skip to main content
Topic: Really universal soldering controller (Read 689459 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Really universal soldering controller

Reply #2610
I'm just wondering what is the difference between this solder and likes of TS100/TS80 that have much smaller footprint?

I have TS80 (and 3 tips for it) and Unisolder with JBC T245 handle and about 10 tips for it.

You cannot compare them directly since JBC with high thermal tip wins hands down over TS80, but that would be an unfair comparison.
TS80 is a very good soldering iron, indeed, portable, very capable (I soldered 16 mm2 wire with it), but Unisolder with JBC handle is just more powerful, ergononic, temperature stability is the best, etc, etc.

Reply #2611
@PCW yes please do upload your BOM? I am interested.

@salavat Thanks for clarification. With that in mind, how does Unisolder stack up against JBC?

@everyone: I have a challenge: Is it possible to build Unisolder mainly with components salvaged from other electronic devices (TVs, PCs, etc.) If so, what is the best category of electronic devices to look for?

[I am thinking of taking on this challenge.]

Reply #2612
@everyone: I have a challenge: Is it possible to build Unisolder mainly with components salvaged from other electronic devices (TVs, PCs, etc.) If so, what is the best category of electronic devices to look for?
No, I suppose. You may salvage maybe suitable N-channel power FETs from LCD backlight, some low voltage ones from motherboards or graphic cards and miscellaneous passives somewhere. But other stuff (that makes majority of the BOM price) is very specific and used usually in a measurement equipment. You should have a lot of luck to find 0.1% resistors, references, digiPOTs, DAC, PIC32, auto-zero amps and those very specific P-channel power FETs in any low price consumer products. Also, any parts that you'd find should be in the same packages that PCB designed for. PCBs are very dense, you can't bodge here and there. It's hard to put it all together this way, but make it work reliably is much harder. Don't forget that cartridges (if you going for JBC) costs $25+ each and can be baked to death in seconds if something goes wrong.

Reply #2613
I went and bought a 1.54" display on Aliexpress. I has SSD1309 SPI interface.

It works fine, displaying the information properly. However it 'drifts' off after some time. It seems to me as if there is a problem in the sync, which makes it loose some pixels at the beginning.
I bought 2 of them and they both have this issue. The 2.42" display doesn't have this.

I attached a few pictures to illustrate:

X  X  X

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Anyone?   ::)

Reply #2614
Anyone?   ::)
Perhaps it's a some sort of intermittently loosed SPI clock cycles. Setting initial RAM address (0x21,0,127) just before sending whole frame buffer (somewhat like in SH1106 code, but there it is set for every row) should help. But this remedy is for the symptom, not the real cause of the problem. I guess the display is connected via dupont cable - check it first.

Reply #2615
One more thing.
Controller is driving OLED at 10MHz clock, which is the maximum rated for the SSD1306 and SSD1309 at least. Maybe you have screens that can't handle that much frequency reliably.

Reply #2616
Based on your input, I did some research and I found following article:
https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=335511.0

So I tried the SH1106 firmware, but the issue is still there.

Concerning the frequency, there is no info to be found on these displays. 
I'll have to look for an alternative or use the 2.42"

Reply #2617
I also stumbled on this one: 
X

This would look so good in the UniSolder  :D , but I guess it would require some serious code changes.
Wishful thinking...  8)

Reply #2618
So I tried the SH1106 firmware, but the issue is still there.
So maybe the problem is with display controller itself (or even it is a different controller, again, not SSD1306/09 and not SH1106). SH1106 code sets the page and column before every page transfer, it had to make some changes in the behavior at least. If SSD1306 firmware is being run with SH1106 screen there would be a garbage all over the screen. As the display is showing distinct picture, it is definitely not a SH1106 screen. Besides, as you stated, picture is not shifted just after power on.
If you have an arduino try to play with this screen with various I/O frequencies or initialization settings. Also I'd posted display development environment for RPi somewhere in the thread, it's a better playground for this.
Concerning the frequency, there is no info to be found on these displays. 
I'll have to look for an alternative or use the 2.42"
Display is a glass with a controller on it. All electric signalling is made by the controller, thus I/O characteristics specified in the controller datasheet.
There are also 1.3" screens exists (usually based on SH1106).
I also stumbled on this one: 
Apart from the fact that it is a massive overkill, I guess there is not enough RAM for this, and it requires quite a few milliseconds to update if not more.

Reply #2619
I'm not a developer, so I have no clue how to change this. But no problem, I'll stick with the 2.42".
All of the 1.54" I found look exactly the same, so there is no use in trying another one.

Apart from the fact that it is a massive overkill, I guess there is not enough RAM for this, and it requires quite a few milliseconds to update if not more.
Yes, I know. And it would not really be any added value functionality-wise.
And i realize it would require more resources than available.
As I said wishful thinking...  :-[  

Thanks for clarifying this!  :)

Reply #2620
This is a 60V part, which is cutting it really close. Sparky recommended at least 80V parts.

Yes I read the post from sparky about that. I used a 56V TVS instead of 60V (1.5KE56A) and haven't noticed any nasty behaviour so far. But you are certainly correct, it's cutting it a bit close, I should probably also check for spikes. Sadly it doesn't let me edit my other post anymore (or I am just incapable of doing so). So thank you for pointing that out, someone who will read my post will likely read yours too. All should be good.

I will upload my LCSC BOM this weekend as I need to copy some stuff together first. There will be a few parts missing since they just don't stock them and no 0805 resistors because I use resistor kits mainly. Other prominent parts that are missing are the PIC32, MCP6V27, MCP6V28, ADG734 and the current shunt (if I remember correctly, might not be all of them). I tried to stick to reputable brands as far as possible.

Edit: About the TS-80 / TS-100 to JBC etc. comparison. I used my TS-80 for parts of the assembly, it's a wonderful tool, always surprised by it. But you can't compare it to a proper soldering station. For a station, I expect high tip variety and that it is ESD safe. If you want to ground the tips of the TS-80 you always have an extra grounding wire. Doesn't seem that bad, but when you are trying to be precise, it gets annoying.

Reply #2621
The module can work without ADUM3160 IC that is USB isolator? Becouse i not need USB interface, also USB plug not need!

Reply #2622
Yes, there is no need for adum3160 in that case.

Reply #2623
So I nearly finished assembling the Unisolder (still couldn't manage to aquire U10, ordered them on aliexpress now).
But I started to test out the Front-PCB and I don't get the 3.3v and -0.6 voltages.

I power it from a 24V AC (actually more like 26V) Transformator, voltage on DC side is ~23.3V.

When messuring at LM2675M-3.3
(I ripped the pad for Pin 5 (ON/OFF) off the board during the repeated resolders, but that shouldn't matter since it did not go anywhere and can be floating for ON)

Pin 7 (vin) I have ~16V (I actualy have no idea what the voltage here should be)
and at Pin 8 (VSW) I only get 235mV (should be 3.3V).
Additonally the -0.6V rail has 55mV.
During this the Board uses about 6mA so I am guessing there at least is no short to ground.
Does this mean the LM2675M-3.3 is faulty or could there be any other reason? I already tried 3 of them, but all from the same source/rail and they all produce the exact same meassurments.
I already ordered some LM2674M-3.3 (500mA version) and some LM2675M-ADJ from other sources, gonna take a bit till they arrive through.

Also maybe worth noting since I am not too good at this: I subsituted SS310A with NRVTSA4100 http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/2578353.pdf . Not too sure if that is a legit substitue but I couldn't find any SS310A only SS310 in too big a package like DO-214AB :(

But just in case, I wanted to ask here if maybe some one might know something else that is going wrong.

Reply #2624

Pin 7 (vin) I have ~16V (I actualy have no idea what the voltage here should be)
and at Pin 8 (VSW) I only get 235mV (should be 3.3V).
Additonally the -0.6V rail has 55mV.

Also maybe worth noting since I am not too good at this: I subsituted SS310A with NRVTSA4100 http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/2578353.pdf . Not too sure if that is a legit substitue but I couldn't find any SS310A only SS310 in too big a package like DO-214AB :(
Voltage at a pin 7 should be close to Vin (some forward voltages less ) ,
 first check if you have for 12V output, around 13-14V and if you have it, check ZD3, D5

about 3.3V IC , use 1A output version. check for R3 is it 0 for the fixed one.

about NRVTSA4100, it should work (for that purpose its specs are much better than SS310A). Try to find SK310SMA as a replacement, it is the same ( keep close to the routine )