Skip to main content
Topic: Really universal soldering controller (Read 667896 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Really universal soldering controller

Reply #2535
https://youtu.be/C6gs7WieTSk   as promised, the video of everything that turned out to combine 4 elements in one box with one-button control ;)

Reply #2536
I had a problem with fake IPD053N08N3, not burned, but unisolder recognized HAKKO FX8801 and work with it, but cannot do it for JBC t245. Found  IPD053N08N3 hard to get and expensive - replaced with  IPD082N10N3G - perfect matched and much cheaper.
I wanted to share that in case of some one need it.

Reply #2537
Getting someone well versed in C programming interested in Unisolder would be great :-). I would be willing to donate a set to such a person in exchange of firmware development if that is what it would take.

Hello,
Firmware upgrade and fixes was in my todo list there are a few issues in it, but my dc/dc blew up and all boards got fried by 400V, if you are willing to provide working set, we definitely can improve firmware, we just need to compile a list with was needs fixing, and a list with new features from memory I was planning to add auto sleep/hibernation, hotswap for the tips and ofcource rotary encode.

You can wait I can to we when I get new parts/pcbs, but that wont be earlier than 2020 september (completely busted my back and lost of other things so no money, living with 200eur a month is no fun)
P.S. maybe someone have altium project files? Sparky refused to share original files because "altium is not free stoware

Reply #2538
Hi Iwanushka,

I can send a set to you on the promise you will make a serious effort to improve the firmware. Let me know if you want to follow up on this via PM. Shipping costs would be on you.

Anyone who wants to donate a small amount to lessen the cost for me is welcome to do so, but let's first get this going :)

Reply #2539
Hi Iwanushka,

I can send a set to you on the promise you will make a serious effort to improve the firmware. Let me know if you want to follow up on this via PM. Shipping costs would be on you.

Anyone who wants to donate a small amount to lessen the cost for me is welcome to do so, but let's first get this going :)

I will send you PM this evening after I check what Irons I have and my experience in electronics/embedded  C,

Thanks a lot for this generous offer

Best Regards,
Mantas

Reply #2540
I will send you PM this evening after I check what Irons I have and my experience in electronics/embedded  C,

Thanks a lot for this generous offer

Yeah, this is kind of essential ;-). If you are not confident you can make a difference in the firmware due to lack of knowledge, I would suggest you take a good look at the current firmware, make some test modifications and post them here so we can see what you are capable of before I send off a unisolder set for you to work with.

Reply #2541
Instead of PM I will post it for everyone

Hey mate,

Checked what I have from Irons list below:
1. JBC PA120, same tips as T210, so can be used to test T210 changes
2. JBC T245
3. Hakko T12 both org and clone irons
4. Bunch of hakko 936 clone irons (TC)
5. Original Hakko FX888 Iron (PTC)
----------------
My background: was working 8 years at US access control company as SW/FW/HW engineer.

My main hobby is making controllers for temp control and temperature measurements (ovens, soldering stations, pre-heaters) - I never buy any stations only non electronic parts l, everthing else is DIY (Im not rich to pay 10-20x more for controller vs Iron that I can make myself)

Seco hobby making access control, security, building automation solutions

I think I've built my first TC based fully analog soldering station in like 5th grade (I'm 32y old),

Second one was digital solution with analog sampling done in 2008 as part of my CS Engineering thesis also as part of that I've made fully digital temp controler with TC using MAXIM converters, but sampling rate is too long even for good old TC irons, so this works only for pre-hearers/ovens, but again analog frontend with ADC is way cheaper.

Also I have all tools for debugging hardware and firmware.

Regarding firmware changes in unisolder I did fix TC profile for generic TC irons, and some overflow issue, which Sparky fixed himself too

If you have a list of bugs/features let me know I can look into it, but don't forget that I can't mess around with stuff that deals with temp control without testing it, because if your house burns down I will be held resposible and I will never do this nor planing to do it, after all I spent to many months working on like hardware at gas&oil plants and safety first!

Also if we are doing this I will need list of all bugs/issues/new features. We can use my gitlab sever for this.

P.S. if I reply to posts PMs only after a few days don't worry I'm still here, finishing one HW project that needs to go to Fab house as soon as possible, paying bills comes first

P.S. if you want to see some of my projects I can show only my University project for soldering station, else ended up commercial even if its one off can't share schematics, etc.
Best Regards,
Mantas

Reply #2542
Thanks for posting that publicly, let's compile a list of proposed firmware updates and fixes. I'll start:

- Possibility to resume from deep sleep without power down. Maybe by adding an additional, intermediate temperature stage which can be put to 0 degrees but does not put the device to sleep?

- True hot swap which does not require a cold cartridge

- single degree temp adjustment for the presets

- change the calibration menu so the the complete phrase "calibration" is highlighted (pet peeve of mine, I hate the way this is displayed now haha)

- ability to choose button arrangement in menu. I have my buttons configured opposite of the standard config, and Roor made special fw for it (thanks again!), but this means that any other change in fw needs to be maintained across multiple fw versions. If button behaviour can be selected in fw, only one version of the fw is needed.

Anything else?

Ps I sent you a PM

Reply #2545
Guys please register at gitlab.com and tell me your email addresses and nicks so I can give you access to our development system, also I will setup slack so we can communicate regarding development in real time and ofcourse to keep this thread clean of brainstorming ideas and other clutter also we will have dropbox to keep compiled stuff, documentation, etc
 so we won't end up with lots of clutter in gitlab and in this thread, later on I will move all of this to my personal server to make sure that things won't het lost. Thanks a lot
P.S.  when you send me gitlab info please let me know if you will be a reporter that reports issues, aska for new features  or  are you will.be taking a role.as a hardware/firmware developer

Best Regards,
Mantas

Reply #2546
Also if you can please upload all your firmware/hardware modifications as original CAD/etc files so I can mare them in  mainline firmware/hardware, my opinion is we make separe branches for all changes and then we merge them into single firmware/hardware, we will just add checks so people can enable/disable that stuff if they need it, keeping multiple firmwares/hardwares would be a  nightmare to maintain the
P.S. sorry for any misspelling/nonsense, I haven't slept for 2 days and I need to be at hospital again for tests in 5 hours

Best Regards,
Mantas

Reply #2547
Hi All,

I have studied this topic for long time, and I would like to share my BOM file with you.  I was looking into most cost-effective way of building a station and in same time with minimal component quality lost. As I am based in UK my main supplier choice was Farnell, RS and Aliexpress. In the file you can find a full cost and options to pick, this gives a good fell on overall price. I have not included transformer and case in the list as this is something that I have not yet decided. If anybody is interested in more details, I can share Aliexpress links on PM. I am at the stage of ordering all components. Please let me know what you think.

I would like to say thank you everybody. Great job Sparky!

Reply #2548
.... As I am based in UK my main supplier choice was Farnell, RS and Aliexpress.

According to your BOM you plan to source Q2, Q8, Q10, Q11 from Aliexpress. I would strongly advise against it. The chances of getting fakes are very high. Farnell has these in stock. Yes, these are a bit expensive but getting fakes is far worse.

Reply #2549
According to your BOM you plan to source Q2, Q8, Q10, Q11 from Aliexpress. I would strongly advise against it. The chances of getting fakes are very high. Farnell has these in stock. Yes, these are a bit expensive but getting fakes is far worse.

Hey mate, you can trust Chinese Fets as far as you can trow them, 99/100 it will be 1/10th spec used Fet with new engraving