Skip to main content
Topic: Really universal soldering controller (Read 672772 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Really universal soldering controller

Reply #2520
I have a different opinion on "profit" thing.

1) Sparky was very unhappy about someone trying to make a business out of his project. However, he said that some sort of 'overhead' markup is quite acceptable (if I remember correctly he mentioned some ballpark about 10%), provided that it takes time for someone to organize ordering and shipping, etc.
2) There is a strong activity (like on diyaudio.com) in a group buy area, where someone orders PCBs, parts, etc, often for some private (belonging to the group buy organizer project). Do you think that those 'commercial' threads and users are immediately banned from the forums? Check it out for yourself.
3) I've purchased about a dozen DIY projects (the number is low because they were mainly audio projects), in most cases you get PCBs from the authors at a reasonable price, and eventually kits - full or partial. Sparky's choice was not to do anything (nor PCBs nor kits), and I respect his right to do whatever he wants to do with his own project...but.. anyone thrilled with his project immediately has a task of obtaining PCBs and parts... Where? PCBs are not difficult nowadays, but orders usually priced for some quantities, and when you can get PCBs cheaper than when you order yourself - I do not see any problem here, because I do not understand how 'profit' is made, in a sense it very much how group buys works..
4) My fellow forum members - please take into account that not everybody lives in Europe or States. There are some countries like Russia, where you get minimum 2 weeks delivery from Aliexpress (usually 3-4 weeks), about 3-4 weeks for USPS mail from States and 5-6 weeks delivery (for some parts) from a specialized Russia components store. Getting into a project could be a half a year venture easily. And we do not have wonderful arrow, mouser, digi-key and likes in Russia. Of course I could use forwarding service from States, but for small parts (say few resistors and caps) I get postage bill for 9 USD from Mouser and 10 USD from the cheapest offer to forward small parcel (up to 500 grams total weight including box), so 19 USD for pack of resistors which might cost 5 USD))). Thus assembling over 100 parts from the BOM might be a tedious business, and when I see someone offering a set of the parts BELOW digi-key price+shipping, I really do not see any problem with that. If I understood what Sparky was saying about this "business" (cost plus small mark up) it is not a 'business' in a sense, but rather group buy where you get everything cheaper than you get individually and organizer gets his expenses covered.

However, I do have respect for the claim that those 'offerings' should not be in the support thread, but then the question is - if anyone wants PCB or parts - where should he/she find those offerings? I saw cases that in the first pinned post there were links where to buy parts and etc. Maybe that would be a solution for this.

All good and valid points. And to be clear: I am not against selling in itself, I actually have completed 3 sets in total, so I will likely sell off the sets I do not use myself. The annoying thing for me was that this thread basically only had posts from the seller the past couple of pages, with no other input in the thread. This is very discouraging for newcomers who want to get advice about building the Unisolder boards, and is likely to kill the thread altogether in my opinion.

I do agree that it would be nice to have a dedicated market place in this forum to enable people to sell the surplus materials they needed to purchase for a project. But as long as that is not there, one could just use Ebay, although I do realize that the exposure to the target audience is quite low there. Maybe we could start a buy and sell thread, with a clear instruction on what is allowed and what not?

Reply #2521
Eventually, I asked about further development on a few forums (eevblog also), but never got a reply. Probably we need a person passioned about diy projects which happen to be C developer as well))

Getting someone well versed in C programming interested in Unisolder would be great :-). I would be willing to donate a set to such a person in exchange of firmware development if that is what it would take.

Reply #2522
one tweezers heater does not work and who will help with what, in detail in the video https://youtu.be/_Va1G5Np7aQ

Reply #2523
one tweezers heater does not work and who will help with what, in detail in the video https://youtu.be/_Va1G5Np7aQ
Real problem is bad recognizing. You should check soldering of R34, ID resistors and their paths, U2 and HSEL to it and if is not fixed, change Q10 and Q11 with good (or original ), if not - try to replace U5- PIC mcu ( but this is the last )

Reply #2524
Real problem is bad recognizing. You should check soldering of R34, ID resistors and their paths, U2 and HSEL to it and if is not fixed, change Q10 and Q11 with good (or original ), if not - try to replace U5- PIC mcu ( but this is the last )
dr560-a, 210 and 245 work perfectly, I also checked the operability of 475 elements and I checked all the super and power transistors, they are normal, why then one of the tweezers heaters does not work

Reply #2525
Maybe we could start a buy and sell thread, with a clear instruction on what is allowed and what not?

I think that is an excellent idea. In the first message, we post different BOMs (for Mouser, Arrow, Digikey and rather 'local' suppliers such as RS and likes), as well as other users  could post their offerings. I think it also might be useful to organize group buys (like the one where I got my set from the 'banned' user :) ) in that thread too.

It would be nice to post a link to a new thread in this thread.

Reply #2526
dr560-a, 210 and 245 work perfectly, I also checked the operability of 475 elements and I checked all the super and power transistors, they are normal, why then one of the tweezers heaters does not work
You should mentioned all that at first your message to get the correct answer.
What is the difference of microtweezers from the 210, 245, it is using 2 channels.
Second, what I sow from your video, it is true ID problem.
But, ID resistor is only 1 and it is connected to Vout1-, that's mean you have some problem of the second ch. or most likely connections of the microtweezers or U5-mcu, check also for some dirt left from soldering.
Did you check only Q10, Q11 or you replaced them?
The problem is complicated - for 210 and 245 both CH. are ok, but for microtweezers not.
Did you have at least ones microtweezers recognized - it means also bad soldering somewhere

Reply #2528
You should mentioned all that at first your message to get the correct answer.
What is the difference of microtweezers from the 210, 245, it is using 2 channels.
Second, what I sow from your video, it is true ID problem.
But, ID resistor is only 1 and it is connected to Vout1-, that's mean you have some problem of the second ch. or most likely connections of the microtweezers or U5-mcu, check also for some dirt left from soldering.
Did you check only Q10, Q11 or you replaced them?
The problem is complicated - for 210 and 245 both CH. are ok, but for microtweezers not.
Did you have at least ones microtweezers recognized - it means also bad soldering somewhere
the problem turned out to be not one, there were several empty transitions that were not metalized, and the tweezers sting itself was already dying.  Right now, all four elements work with a bang, I'll throw off the video a little later, thanks a lot to everyone who helped

Reply #2529
hi,
does some one a picture? the attachement is removed :-[

Reply #2530
Here's what you must modify to use the controller for Wellert WMRT how tweezers (future support for Weller WMRT will also require this). Cut the power trace around the third button (red lines) and make the connections shown:
[attachment=0]

I will upload the new firmware with added Weller WMRT and PACE TD100 (both black and yellow) profiles soon.

Also, you will be able to upload the firmware with PC software using the bootloader and the USB connection. It will be ready in a week or so.

I will upload and updated GERBERS for a new PCB revision with these modifications. The not needed 7-segment parts will be also removed in the new revision, both from the PCB and the schematic. It will be fully hardware compatible with the current revision.

hi together,
i need the attachement ,its removed :(
and contion to weller wmrt
please

Reply #2532
wow!
thanks man :D  :D  :D

Reply #2534
It improves power rail routing. Shouldn't do any harm.