Skip to main content
Topic: Really universal soldering controller (Read 663274 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Really universal soldering controller

Reply #2505
What I've seen (in term of pricing for those PCBs) is not a good business, or they sell below cost))).

Sparky reads this forum and I think he will return at some point.

I certainly hope Sparky will find some time and interest to develop the software a bit further, lets keep our fingers crossed :-)
And I think you are right about the prices for the boards actually, there are a few quite expensive components, especially when purchased in low quantities.

Reply #2506
hi everyone,

does any of you have ‘DinikS’ Touch Sensor Schematic diagram und BOM file?

Reply #2508
Thank you! :)

Reply #2509
Should I delete that post? It seems like a copycat, and it's their first post.
Got a question? Please ask in the forum for the fastest answers.

Reply #2510
Ok, just checking. Noticed there was some issue with other people selling this project above.

Reply #2511
What I've seen (in term of pricing for those PCBs) is not a good business, or they sell below cost))).
They do it on purpose, it's not just like selling the surplus. There must be a profit, and is against Sparky's request.

Reply #2512
The author of the project knows about collective procurement. I sell the remnants of the kits from the project in order to cover the costs. It took 6 months for team purchases, 1 month for assembly of boards + expenses pocket 600$.
Do you know how to make money on a project?
It is not good to change the purpose of that tread from vulnerable for helping to build that project to commercial sell one, does not matter for what ever reason ,

Reply #2513
Unisolder BOM Digikey, total Price 164$. https://github.com/5N44P/unisolder-notes/blob/master/BOMs/Unisolder%20BOM%20Digikey.xlsx

Sell me the assembled board set 164$ ???

You sill cannot understand the difference between vulnerable help and trading. By sparkybg (by me also ) the purpose is to help to every one who want to build that great tool.
And if want to sell it, do it, but here is not the right place for that . That is my opinion!

Reply #2515
And if want to sell it, do it, but here is not the right place for that . That is my opinion!

Completely agree. Especially now that this thread is quiet for the moment, it just seems that this thread is degraded to a selling platform which just is not in the the spirit of this thread. I suspect the margin is just small, but it also is hard for me to believe this is just surplus stock. I have seen at least two different PCB colors already, and there is even a lead time indicated nowadays...

Anyway, please use Ebay or something to sell, not this forum.

Reply #2516
It seems like the thread's consensus is that it should not be sold here. At the user's request I deleted his account and posts.

Reply #2517
yep, basically software - needs to be assigned new input pin for it ( let say pin4 - CN8 ), new function Hibernation ( the same like "sleep", interrupt point for the function ( at this point needs to stop completely the heater, only at that point differs from "sleep"), display message and return vector. At hardware level is the same as pin8 - CN11, unfortunately I don't have enough knowledge and that is only suggestions.
And most important is to refine the code to support  quick tip exchange.

Hi everybody. I quoted Minkok here where he talks about the main disadvantages of the current firmware. It would be so awesome if someone with the right knowledge would take a look at adding hibernation and true quick tip exchange. Unfortunately I am not that person, and neither is Minkok as he admits himself. Is there anyone here that would like to take a crack at this?

Reply #2518
I have a different opinion on "profit" thing.

1) Sparky was very unhappy about someone trying to make a business out of his project. However, he said that some sort of 'overhead' markup is quite acceptable (if I remember correctly he mentioned some ballpark about 10%), provided that it takes time for someone to organize ordering and shipping, etc.
2) There is a strong activity (like on diyaudio.com) in a group buy area, where someone orders PCBs, parts, etc, often for some private (belonging to the group buy organizer project). Do you think that those 'commercial' threads and users are immediately banned from the forums? Check it out for yourself.
3) I've purchased about a dozen DIY projects (the number is low because they were mainly audio projects), in most cases you get PCBs from the authors at a reasonable price, and eventually kits - full or partial. Sparky's choice was not to do anything (nor PCBs nor kits), and I respect his right to do whatever he wants to do with his own project...but.. anyone thrilled with his project immediately has a task of obtaining PCBs and parts... Where? PCBs are not difficult nowadays, but orders usually priced for some quantities, and when you can get PCBs cheaper than when you order yourself - I do not see any problem here, because I do not understand how 'profit' is made, in a sense it very much how group buys works..
4) My fellow forum members - please take into account that not everybody lives in Europe or States. There are some countries like Russia, where you get minimum 2 weeks delivery from Aliexpress (usually 3-4 weeks), about 3-4 weeks for USPS mail from States and 5-6 weeks delivery (for some parts) from a specialized Russia components store. Getting into a project could be a half a year venture easily. And we do not have wonderful arrow, mouser, digi-key and likes in Russia. Of course I could use forwarding service from States, but for small parts (say few resistors and caps) I get postage bill for 9 USD from Mouser and 10 USD from the cheapest offer to forward small parcel (up to 500 grams total weight including box), so 19 USD for pack of resistors which might cost 5 USD))). Thus assembling over 100 parts from the BOM might be a tedious business, and when I see someone offering a set of the parts BELOW digi-key price+shipping, I really do not see any problem with that. If I understood what Sparky was saying about this "business" (cost plus small mark up) it is not a 'business' in a sense, but rather group buy where you get everything cheaper than you get individually and organizer gets his expenses covered.

However, I do have respect for the claim that those 'offerings' should not be in the support thread, but then the question is - if anyone wants PCB or parts - where should he/she find those offerings? I saw cases that in the first pinned post there were links where to buy parts and etc. Maybe that would be a solution for this.

Reply #2519
Hi everybody. I quoted Minkok here where he talks about the main disadvantages of the current firmware. It would be so awesome if someone with the right knowledge would take a look at adding hibernation and true quick tip exchange. Unfortunately I am not that person, and neither is Minkok as he admits himself. Is there anyone here that would like to take a crack at this?

Eventually, I asked about further development on a few forums (eevblog also), but never got a reply. Probably we need a person passioned about diy projects which happen to be C developer as well))