Skip to main content
Topic: Really universal soldering controller (Read 709122 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Really universal soldering controller

Reply #1020
[quote author="sparkybg"]

You have overlooked that there are soldermask-free islands around some pins on the OLED connectors on the back of the front PCB. ;)[/quote]

Hi sparkybg,

Yes, that is it ... however, I must first come on the that this "island" has double function ;-)

In any case, with "without solder-bridging" the 0.96inch display has fully worked.
Problem is first dived with installation of a new 1.3inch display. The display could not reach the full contrast (it was completely in the lowest contrast area with slight flicker) and voltage at the OLEDVCC has varied between 5.52V and 9.30V depending on how much screen was filled.
So, no wonder the new 1.3 "OLED requires between 11.5V and 12.5V at the Vcc pin.
I have tried with the contrast 0x81,0xFF, -0xAF, -0x3F and DCOM 0xDB, 0x20, -0x00, -0x30 but no improvement.
I just wanted to replace the FAN5331 against LM2731 / LM2733 and with measurements I noticed something with the GND is not in order. That's why you asked how that is connected.

After your assistance I solved the "island" with the pin2 and now I have a 1.3inch display fully functional
together with all the right voltage.

I thank you very much for your help !

Reply #1021
[quote author="ScotY808"]This is my first ever SMD soldered part.[/quote]
Looks good, but a little lack of solder. I would expect some dry joints.

Reply #1022
[quote author="ScotY808"]I have a question about U19 which is the FAN5331. The component I ordered has 5 pins but there are 6 pins on the PCB of the OLED. Is this the correct part?[/quote]

Yes, mine was 5 pin too.
I'm a newbie at electronics and for that always take my words with a grain of salt - it is very possible I'm wrong!

Reply #1023
[quote author="puzzle"][quote author="ScotY808"]I have a question about U19 which is the FAN5331. The component I ordered has 5 pins but there are 6 pins on the PCB of the OLED. Is this the correct part?[/quote]

Yes, mine was 5 pin too.[/quote]

... and always remember that certain solder pads are for a different function ;-)

Reply #1024
There are maybe 10 other booster chips that can be used instead of FAN5331, some of them having 6 pins. That's why there is 6 pin footprint on the PCB.

Reply #1025
Hello!
Congratulations for the project!
Can you please tell something about transformer parameters?

Reply #1026
24V 120VA toroidal.

Reply #1027
Thank you!

Reply #1028
Hi every one

I'm new to this forum.

I have two questions that I hope someone in this forum will help to answer.

# 1 I have mad a Universal Solder 5.2 unit, and now I have to load the bootloader and the application into the
    device. Is there anyone who can help with a guide and what equipment I need to use for this ?

# 2 Do Universal Solder 5.2 support the following device:
      1. Hakko FM-2032-51 soldering handel ?
      2. JBC C105 Nano soldering device ?

Thanks for a nice project.

Bo

Reply #1029
I am 99.999% sure it can drive them, but there are no profiles in the firmware for them for now.

If you live in EU, you can mail them to me, and I will be able to make profiles in a month or so and return them to you. This is how I made the profiles fot Weller WMRT, WSP80, ERSA RT80. I just cannot have any soldering iron in the world myself. ;)

Reply #1030
Thanks for your replay.

But before I send any thing, I need to find out how I program the PIC32 with the
bootloader and after that the program it selve.

Can anyone help with a guide, and info abouth what HW I need to buy ?

Thanks !

Bo

Reply #1031
Also new here, everything's ordered and just waiting for the postman to arrive.  I've reviewed most of the posts here and must say it's an impressive and interesting project..  Will surely be lots more fun than a 230V iron and dimmer :)  Thanks Sparky! 

@Blackfinger - I'm in EU and was also looking at the JBC 105. Am over budget at the moment but in a month or so could send one off for Sparky to work on a profile if you're from outside EU and not in a rush.

@Sparky - Have a couple 'newbie' questions I didn't seem to find answers for here.. First I saw that your station listed dual channel.. does that mean it can be used to drive two different soldering irons simultaneously or is it strictly for tweezers with two same heating elements sharing the same profile?  I really like the hotplug features you built in so guess two connectors and a switch would work well.  Second,  I looked at the BOM but did not see the panel connectors listed.  Is there some universal DIN type connector that works well with most irons or will I just have to cut the soldering iron wires and adapt to a connector?  Have a good source/part nr to recommend?

Apologies if any questions were answered before, the search function here is quite lacking..

Again Thanks!!

Reply #1032
[quote author="Blackfinger"]Thanks for your replay.

But before I send any thing, I need to find out how I program the PIC32 with the
bootloader and after that the program it selve.

Can anyone help with a guide, and info abouth what HW I need to buy ?

Thanks !

Bo[/quote]

You need PicKit3 or any other tool that supports PIC32 for bootloader uploading, then you need to use Unisolder PC software to upload the "..._with_bootloader" firmware. In order to run Unisolder PC software you need Visual Studio 2015 installed.

Reply #1033
[quote author="cbi7333"]
@Sparky - Have a couple 'newbie' questions I didn't seem to find answers for here.. First I saw that your station listed dual channel.. does that mean it can be used to drive two different soldering irons simultaneously or is it strictly for tweezers with two same heating elements sharing the same profile?  I really like the hotplug features you built in so guess two connectors and a switch would work well.  Second,  I looked at the BOM but did not see the panel connectors listed.  Is there some universal DIN type connector that works well with most irons or will I just have to cut the soldering iron wires and adapt to a connector?  Have a good source/part nr to recommend?

Apologies if any questions were answered before, the search function here is quite lacking..

Again Thanks!![/quote]

The controller is made to control single instrument with one or two heaters. The heaters can be different (iron profile in the firmware has separate part for each heater), but they are always driven with the same temperature and in the same time.

There is not universal connector, sorry. So you will have to cut the wires as I did.
For example Amphenol C091 8pin connector is a good option.
There are a lot of others with similar size, including chinese ones. GX16-8 (ask Google) for example.

Reply #1034
@Blackfinger:
After purchasing Pickit3 and installed MPLab, and being able to run Unisolder.exe - as Sparky described you do the following steps from page 63 on this topic...
1. Connecting Pickit3 to PC and to 5 pin header on front board,
2.Powering the "soldering station" - I have the Iron connected but no heater in it.
3. Opening MPLab, and selecting programmer to Pickit3 - it has connected and found the chip, loaded correct firmware for pic32mx.
4. I chose "Import..." and browsed to the "US_BootLoader.X.production.hex" and select "OPEN"
5. I select "Program" - it goes very fast true: " Programming... Programming/Verify complete" - And I IMIDEATELY have wiggling lines on the screen.
Now I will try to flash it true PC:
1. I remove Pickit3 from the board -  now I will switch the board(soldering station) off.
2 Connecting USB cable to "Soldering station" - I use the cable of the programmer.
3. Open software - "UniSolder.exe"
4. Switch the station on - I have wiggling lines on screen, no sounds, nothing on software or on the PC indicates that I have switched something
5. I press "Update firmware" and browse to the "US firmwareX > PIC32 with bootloader> "US_Firmware.X.production.hex" - I press "Open" - after 5-7 seconds I heard beep and now the station looks fine - it shows my iron and "Heater open" as it should.

This is how it programs the chip to be able to do following updates to the firmware true the PC, not needing to open your soldering station.

Greetings to all
I'm a newbie at electronics and for that always take my words with a grain of salt - it is very possible I'm wrong!