Skip to main content
Topic: Really universal soldering controller (Read 727268 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Really universal soldering controller

Reply #855
[quote author="TilmanBaumann"]
Ah well, Farnell in Germany is special. Very much not the element14 type hacker friendly establishment. They are stuck in their ways and actively and quite rudely get rid of non-commercial customers.[/quote]
Sounds familiar to me!
Was trying to buy at Digikey, but they've said I buying too many of positions, and they conclude it's a commercial order, which is have to be placed by a company. I've tried to argue, but they didn't even answer. Screw them!
I've found a local agent which is provide access to a several major distributors for a reasonable charge, and consolidate all my parts in one package.
Got all my components from both digikey and farnell without any unnecessary questions.

Reply #856
Here's what you must modify to use the controller for Wellert WMRT how tweezers (future support for Weller WMRT will also require this). Cut the power trace around the third button (red lines) and make the connections shown:
[attachment=0]

I will upload the new firmware with added Weller WMRT and PACE TD100 (both black and yellow) profiles soon.

Also, you will be able to upload the firmware with PC software using the bootloader and the USB connection. It will be ready in a week or so.

I will upload and updated GERBERS for a new PCB revision with these modifications. The not needed 7-segment parts will be also removed in the new revision, both from the PCB and the schematic. It will be fully hardware compatible with the current revision.

Reply #857
Hi,
I want to buy RS because I have an account at work but I have problems with the digital potentiometers, the SUD50P10 and the MCP6V28-E / SN. Questions:
Can I mount the 10K potentiometers?
Can I mount the MCP6V26-E / SN?
I can not find anything similar to the SUD50P10 ... (100v drain voltage, 20v gate voltage, 136w, 40A ...) Any ideas?

Thank you very much, greetings.
TwinSpark

Reply #858
You can use MCP6V01/03/06/08/26/28.

For the pots, you canot use 10K. Only 50K and 100K can be used.

I don't know what else can be used instead of SUD50P10. The resistance is the most important parameter. You can use 80V part, and make sure it is not a low voltage gate variant (it must be a good old 10V rated power P-MOSFET).

Reply #859
I will upload the new firmware with added Weller WMRT and PACE TD100 (both black and yellow) profiles soon.

Are you using the cold juction in the TD-100 handpeice? Do you have switchable profile between black and yellow heaters?

Also, you will be able to upload the firmware with PC software using the bootloader and the USB connection. It will be ready in a week or so.

That will be great :)

The best open source soldering station gets even more universal.

Reply #860
[quote author="JJAnderson"]Are you using the cold juction in the TD-100 handpeice? Do you have switchable profile between black and yellow heaters? [/quote]

Soon... It needs some firmware updates.

Reply #861
Hi. First of all thank you for an amazing project.  i have an idea for an improvement. to be able to use the dual tool feature with 2 different irons, this will need some PCB modifications and a firmware upgrade. the idea is to add another iron sensor to control the sleep/wake of the iron that is picked up and in addition to lock the second iron and that it is left on the second stand. this could be done with a multiplexer to switch between the sensors when both irons are in the stands (use a ironactivated variable). same thing to do with the iron id. sense and iron voltage could be switched with relays. so when you pick up the iron 1, activate the heater/s relay/s and temp sense of iron 1 and lock the iron2 and only unlock when iron 1 is put into his stand. when i'll have more time (first to finish my unisolder hahahah) i'll try adding a tft with touch control and make an ui like jbc dde, dme, nase with all the solder irons

Reply #862
Does someone have a spare board (in europe)?
I've not finished yet to read the entire discussion, so I'm sorry if someone already posted an easy answer to my question :)

Reply #863
[quote author="valerionew"]Does sameone have a spare board (in europe)?
I've not finished yet to read the entire discussion, so I'm sorry if someone already posted an easy answer to my question :)[/quote]

There is a guy from Rusia Seling on ebay.. realy good price also...Also he sells the components that go with the board (like 105€ shipping included for PCB+parts) I tried to build my own bom on farnel Spain, and with a few parts missing and came around 80€.. so I think it is worth the price he is asking

Reply #864
[quote author="JJAnderson"]
That will be great :)

The best open source soldering station gets even more universal.
[/quote]
I agree with you :)

Reply #865
And I still didn't find the force, to build the "soldering workhorse station", maybe next month :)
Thanks Sparky

Reply #866
[quote author="unhollyone"]
There is a guy from Rusia Seling on ebay.. [/quote]

Awesome, thanks! :)

EDIT: Just another question (i can't neither search for "power" nor "current" in the topic). If i want to use a 24Vac transformer, how many VA will I need?

Reply #867
Just another question (i can't neither search for "power" nor "current" in the topic). If i want to use a 24Vac transformer, how many VA will I need?

120VA transformer is recomended Controller output current is limited to 6A

Reply #868
[quote author="JJAnderson"]

120VA transformer is recomended Controller output current is limited to 6A[/quote]

120VA Toroidal transformer. There are some pretty nasty non-toroidals out there, having HUGE leakage inductance, and this matters, despite the fact that I have done everything possible in the firmware to handle most of them.

Reply #869
Here is a picture on my UniSolder 5.2. Thank you sparkybg for this great project!

[attachment=0]