Skip to main content
Topic: Really universal soldering controller (Read 817570 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Really universal soldering controller

Reply #5475
U17 is clearly not amplifying, though there should be fixed x28 gain.
Maybe it's the DAC. Check U11:1, there should be 0V in calibration and with C245.

Reply #5476
U17 is clearly not amplifying, though there should be fixed x28 gain.
Maybe it's the DAC. Check U11:1, there should be 0V in calibration and with C245.
I wouldn't make the conclusion yet, it is a bit early. I need the data of the last measurement. He claims that the calibration passes and I need proof.
And if that is correct, the U17 will be ok.

Reply #5478
For the original JBC t245 the connections are ok.
Can you take another measurement?
Use calibration resistor, on calibrated RC2 read the Voltages at C65 - my value is 90mV, and at C62 - my value is 1.1V
They will be not the same, because my board is compensated ( a bit changed ), but need to be close to them for the calibration to pass.

Measured with a multimeter (DC) in calibration mode:
U C62= 1.4V V
U C65= 0.1 V
Verified with a scope, the signals are just DC levels

In normal operation mode measured with multimeter:
U C62= 85 mV
U C65= 7.1 mV
With scope the signals are pulsed, pulse width about 600us, period time about 9.5 ms.
Peak values:
U C62= 1.4 V
U C65= 100 mV

U11:1= 4.7 mV both in calibration as well as with the C245 handle.

Diodes D18 and 19 seem fine, verified in circuit with multimeter.

Reply #5479
Measured with a multimeter (DC) in calibration mode:
U C62= 1.4V V
U C65= 0.1 V
Verified with a scope, the signals are just DC levels

U11:1= 4.7 mV both in calibration as well as with the C245 handle.
Now go to repair:
Check, resolder with iron ( not with hot air ) all pins on U16 and corresponding 5 pins on the controller. Check for -0.6V if present U16/5p.
If it doesn't help replace it.
And of course, please share the result.

Reply #5480
Now go to repair:
Check, resolder with iron ( not with hot air ) all pins on U16 and corresponding 5 pins on the controller. Check for -0.6V if present U16/5p.
If it doesn't help replace it.
And of course, please share the result.

Thanks, will only have time later today. Will keep my fingers crossed it just is a soldering issue, though on visual inspection with magnifying glass connections look fine. Supply of 3.3V and -06V anyhow is present on the chip. In case I have to replace the chip it will take some time, haven't found any store/wholesaler with stock. So if needed I may have to order at Aliexpress.
Will keep you all posted

Reply #5481
Thanks, will only have time later today. Will keep my fingers crossed it just is a soldering issue, though on visual inspection with magnifying glass connections look fine. Supply of 3.3V and -06V anyhow is present on the chip. In case I have to replace the chip it will take some time, haven't found any store/wholesaler with stock. So if needed I may have to order at Aliexpress.
Will keep you all posted
Do not forget, you have to check ( resolder ) on the controller another 5 pins ( 5 different signals ) connected to U16

Reply #5482
Do not forget, you have to check ( resolder ) on the controller another 5 pins ( 5 different signals ) connected to U16

Bad luck, resoldered all connections to U16 (and U16 connections on the controller). Verified whether all connections were ok with the probes on the chip pins. No bad connections, no shorts and still the same error message "No tool".

Just a pity as, due to the shortage of components, I ordered assembled boards.

So far I couldn't find this IC from reliable suppliers (all out of stock till at least mid next year). See it offered on Aliexpress though. Will always be the question whether these are original Analog Devices parts. Anyhow have no other choice and will have to give it a try. Thanks for all the help. Will feedback in a few weeks when the replacement is in.

Reply #5483
Bad luck, resoldered all connections to U16 (and U16 connections on the controller). Verified whether all connections were ok with the probes on the chip pins. No bad connections, no shorts and still the same error message "No tool".

Just a pity as, due to the shortage of components, I ordered assembled boards.

So far I couldn't find this IC from reliable suppliers (all out of stock till at least mid next year). See it offered on Aliexpress though. Will always be the question whether these are original Analog Devices parts. Anyhow have no other choice and will have to give it a try. Thanks for all the help. Will feedback in a few weeks when the replacement is in.
You can try before to order the part, to change firmware first: flash older firmware for that controller ( check if the bootloader is the same, if not replace it also ), if no changes return to the latest firmware, maybe you are lucky to have an older one, in that case just upgrade it.

Reply #5484
Can you Please check also that:
Connect T245 without a cartridge you should get JBC t245 recognized and the message "Heater Open"

Reply #5485
Can you Please check also that:
Connect T245 without a cartridge you should get JBC t245 recognized and the message "Heater Open"
Didn't play with the firmware yet. With or without cartridge makes no difference. Error message "No Tool".
Connections to the cartridge were checked before. Can even see the TC change when the carttridge tip is heated with another soldering iron.

Reply #5486
is there somewhere in this long thread lol where it shows what is needed to go up in screen size to like a 2.4? my eyes are not as good after major surgery for cancer in the eye and i need as large as i can get now to be able to glance over at without getting up close to read it all the time. im slowly digging through as much of it as i can with my eyes now im a slow reader unfortunately. any help would be much appreciated!!

Reply #5487
Didn't play with the firmware yet. With or without cartridge makes no difference. Error message "No Tool".
Connections to the cartridge were checked before. Can even see the TC change when the carttridge tip is heated with another soldering iron.
In that case, most likely you have a bad controller or bad programming than a bad U16 - firmware in the calibration menu correctly detects the tool, but it does not work properly.
You can try deep cleaning of the boards and T245 soldering connector also.

Reply #5488
In that case, most likely you have a bad controller or bad programming than a bad U16 - firmware in the calibration menu correctly detects the tool, but it does not work properly.
You can try deep cleaning of the boards and T245 soldering connector also.
Thanks, will play with the firmware. Probably only will have time the coming weekend. Will anyhow keep you posted on my progress (or lack of it).

Reply #5489
Thanks, will play with the firmware. Probably only will have time the coming weekend. Will anyhow keep you posted on my progress (or lack of it).
It is good for us to be informed, that way you help others if they have the same problem. Don't forget cleaning, nobody knows how the board is soldered