Skip to main content
Topic: Really universal soldering controller (Read 773975 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Really universal soldering controller

Reply #4500
After remembering what else I did different and trying it out again.
It does not work if:
I flash the bootloader while the unisolder is completly connected and powered by it's own supply. The bootloader seems to be fine, and flashing firmware in the software seems to work. (except after flashing it goes dark)

I does work if:
I have the data cable (and screen) unplugged from front board during flash of the bootloader and only the power cable connected.
So apparently I can't have the data cable or screen connected to my frontboard or it will destroy something during flashing.

Reply #4501
You are definitely doing something wrong. I don't know what exactly.

Both the bootloader and firmware are OK and tested.

Reply #4502
You are definitely doing something wrong. I don't know what exactly.

Both the bootloader and firmware are OK and tested.
Yes, as I said everything works perfectly if during flashing of the bootloader I disconnect the screen and the data cable (CNTR) from the front PCB. Apparently I did that for the first time when flashing the 02.12.2020 bootloader/firmware.
It works now.

If I have the screen and CNTR connected it is a failure 100% of the time :D

Reply #4503
If I have the screen and CNTR connected it is a failure 100% of the time :D

Yes, because you are powering the board from PicKit, and as I said, PicKit cannot provide enough power for everything.

But you must now forget about PicKit3 and update your UniSolder from PC software only, so it doesn't matter any more.

Reply #4504
Hi sparkybg,

I have again some question:
I'm using two unisolder stations with the newest firmware, but not with the latest bootloader (because the buttons are fine for me).
- But the preselected temperature ranges don't work anymore, except T2. If I press the first button I see "SET" (and NOT "T1") on the left side and the temperature didn't change to the preset value. The same with T3.  T2 is working as expected. Is the bootloader update a must?
- On one station the room temperature reading is changing fast (see attached file). I don't think this is the firmware. Should I exchange the temp chip?

Thank you very much for any feedback.

Reply #4505
Yes, because you are powering the board from PicKit, and as I said, PicKit cannot provide enough power for everything.

But you must now forget about PicKit3 and update your UniSolder from PC software only, so it doesn't matter any more.
I did not power it from pickit later on, yes I did the one time where I posed logs, but honestly even there I was already switch between trying to power it from pickit and powering it from the power board.
I had power disabled in mplab_ipe and power on on unisolder, powering it over power connector of the unisolder and even then it only flashes bootloader correcly when I disconnect the OLED and the CNTR cable. But yeah in the end it doesn't matter anymore and I am just happy it works now.

Reply #4506
You will see T1/T2/T3 by fast pressingn the center button and it was this way since the very first version. I am using buttons and they work as expected and as always worked.

Reply #4508
I am new here.
So few questions

1. What is the best way for me to get the controller?( buy a PCB only and part separately, buy a complete  kit, buy a complete/assembled controller). What are prices of each option?

1> buy a PCB only and part separately >> If you have tools and knowledge this is the best option.
2> buy a complete kit >> This is risky since you have no clue what shortcuts have been taken to lower the price but it is better than having nothing.  Keep in mind equivalent components or worst fake are on the market so I would buy only if you trust.

2. This topic is large( 300 pages) , where can I find the latest development/features of the controller?
>>https://github.com/sparkybg/UniSolder-5.2  >>> This is the latest for 5.2c

3. Who uses the controller with JBC tips?
>> I am using 245 and 210 with zero issues and work like the real JBC.

3.Is here anyone who uses the controller with a nano tweezer e.g. JBC AN115?
>>I guess it will work like the  JBC Microtweezers.

Tronix

Reply #4509
Is here anyne who uses the controller with a nano tweezer e.g. JBC AN115 ?
I've recently bought the JBC NP105-A Nanotweezers. The wiring is exactly the same as with the Microtweezers (described by 'sparkybg' in the first post)... just with a different resistor of course.

Reply #4510
2> buy a complete kit >> This is risky since you have no clue what shortcuts have been taken to lower the price but it is better than having nothing.  Keep in mind equivalent components or worst fake are on the market so I would buy only if you trust.

Tindie assembled kit is OK. Works no worse than the controller assembled by myself with all parts bought from Farnell and local company and 100% no-fake/

In fact all the new things I made to the firmware last 2-3 months is tested on the Tinide assembled board, not on my old one. I decided to use it because it has fresh MCU on it and my old one has several hundred rewrites on it's MCU already. Never had a problem with it (PIC32 has MUCH more flash rewrites available) but a fresh one is a fresh one anyway. :)

The assembly quality is also perfect - solder joints looks really great on the Tindie board. The PCBs are good quality ones too. I am waiting for the same guy to start assembling revision C and I will buy one more without any doubts about quality.

P.S.: Just ordered one. 5.2C is already available on Tindie! Hurray!

Reply #4511
Tindie assembled kit is OK.

It is good to know that someone that cannot assemble such kit can buy online however this will come with no guarantee.

>> What are prices of each option? (By jane)
I forget to mention that build yours is far from cheap than buying ready one, the price for one is around 220 USD using all genuine from trusted sources + PCB but you will end with extra parts due to MOQ so if you have in mind to make more then one it will get cheaper.

Buying non-genuine parts does not mean you will notice a difference, in 2021 they will perform close enough to the genuine but end result will be that you saved 60 USD +- on each KIT but in the long term, this may make you regret this option.

Re buying a kit from someone I would ask on how it was assembled -- this is very important.
Shortcut in assemble can also be taken which in my opinion can shorten the life of few components on the board if done wrong.

Options are as follow: (This is my opinion)
1> Assemble by hand -- BEST if you have in mind to make one or few.
2> Pick and place + Hand = Possible but will be a little more expensive.
3> Using pcb Stencil + OVEN + Heat GUN - This can lead to components  damage if done incorrectly however I do not like the end result but it is a good shortcut to lower the time in assemble,

Any option you may select you cannot blame sparky, I have tested 5.2c and work flawless, the only thing left is testing the encoder.

Good Job @ SParky

I hope all this help anyone make a decision on what to buy.

Reply #4512
I am from Germany and found this project couple weeks ago while searching for JBC models and found marcoreps video.
I am a student studying engineering 4th year and wish to do this myself with minimal tools I have.
By any change tronix do you have spares to send me include PCB for one ? If yes, may I ask the price for that please?What gurantee will I get if I buy your parts if I find they are not good?

I tried my best to find all what is requeried but I let you guys with experties to guide me

Reply #4513
By any change tronix 

Sorry, I do not have anything for sale and I got only 1 PCB 5.2c which I used & and it is working fine.
With all the respect nobody is going to give you such a warranty, almost all my parts were bought from Europe (TME) and do not come with such a warranty but you can always complain if you find something that looks not good via chat or email.

What I mean by guarantee is that you are on your own If PCB does not work and you will require to solve the issue yourself.

FYI: wish to do this myself with minimal tools  -- Think twice about this and ask yourself if you really want this hassle, as sparkybg  said Tindie assembled kit might be good for you.

All you require is found in the BOM excel sheet if you have further questions feel free to ask.

Reply #4514
Its ok I tried, I do not want it assembled is there an option to buy it as kit disassambed from tindie? I want this to learn from it, buying this ready will learn nothing, searched all forum for excel and cannot find it any help?