Skip to main content
Topic: Really universal soldering controller (Read 759604 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Really universal soldering controller

Reply #3180
Great stuff! Thanks a lot Sparky and all other contributors! Hot swap works perfectly fine now, and the touch sensor does not react to my hand touching the plate anymore. (@Minkok, this means we do not need to continue prototyping the sensor board anymore, but thanks for your efforts nonetheless :-))

One bug that I notice: Button direction for MENU does not follow Button selection for TEMP. In my use case I need the left button to be DOWN for both temp and menu (and also sub menu). Changing the "Button" option in Menu from  +/- to -/+ only affects temp, not Menu. 

EDIT: One more bug: My display is unstable now and loses sync. causing the display text to "jump" position sideways. (Vishay 2.42"screen). This never happened with my previous FW on this screen.

I'm on 24V, 5A AC.

Reply #3181
EDIT: One more bug: My display is unstable now and loses sync. causing the display text to "jump" position sideways. (Vishay 2.42"screen). This never happened with my previous FW on this screen.

need to lower the frequency SPI 4>6

PIC32MX534F064H.h
#define mcuSPIOpen() SpiChnOpen(SPI_CHANNEL3,SPI_OPEN_MSTEN | SPI_OPEN_MODE8 | SPI_OPEN_CKP_HIGH, 6)

Reply #3182
need to lower the frequency SPI 4>6

PIC32MX534F064H.h
#define mcuSPIOpen() SpiChnOpen(SPI_CHANNEL3,SPI_OPEN_MSTEN | SPI_OPEN_MODE8 | SPI_OPEN_CKP_HIGH, 6)

Yes, that was the fix in a previous FW, I now remember, thanks! @sparkybg: Can you manage this?

Reply #3183
One bug that I notice: Button direction for MENU does not follow Button selection for TEMP. In my use case I need the left button to be DOWN for both temp and menu (and also sub menu). Changing the "Button" option in Menu from  +/- to -/+ only affects temp, not Menu. 
Since the very beginning of this project, "+"(left) button brings temp up and increases menu row (first row is 0, second 1 etc...), and vice versa. It does this on all settings, temperature and the menu. Just tested it. When you swap buttons I just read them in opposite direction and since I read them in one and only one place in the firmware, they are swapped everywhere.

You will have to tell me the exact part number of this display in order to see the maximum SPI frequency it can work on. The higher the frequency, the better, because it is not done with DMA and lower frequency takes longer time to update the display, and in the mean time software does nothing but wait for SPI to finish.

Reply #3184
Since the very beginning of this project, "+"(left) button brings temp up and increases menu row (first row is 0, second 1 etc...), and vice versa. It does this on all settings, temperature and the menu. Just tested it. When you swap buttons I just read them in opposite direction and since I read them in one and only one place in the firmware, they are swapped everywhere.
You will have to tell me the exact part number of this display in order to see the maximum SPI frequency it can work on. The higher the frequency, the better, because it is not done with DMA and lower frequency takes longer time to update the display, and in the mean time software does nothing but wait for SPI to finish.

Hi Sparky,

Display is O128O064HLPP3N0000

About menu option: I see what you mean now. In fact the menu scrolling direction does change. The menu items do scroll the same way as the temp setting, but what I see is the "selection cursor" scrolling down instead of the menu scrolling up. I know it's just a matter of how the brain works so to speak, and in that sense it's subjective what is the preference.

It would be great if this could be reversed as a menu option. The firmware I was using had this menu scrolling direction reversed on my request (so no menu option), but it would be better to have the menu option to prevent different FW versions

Reply #3185
The display now uses DMA for update. I was thinking of this for a long time.
Also, the address is zeroed before every transfer to the display, so your display will work even without lowering the SPI frequency.

...and I lowered it twice (8 instead of 6 at the and of the line).

I will publish it soon.

Reply #3186
The JBC Microtweezers operate at full power. Should I do 1/2 or 1/4?

Reply #3187
What power supply are you using?

Reply #3189
If transformer on 24V, it should display ACF,ACH,ACQ. Are you sure?

Here's C105 on mine:
https://youtu.be/0_LA3QBV5OM

Reply #3190
And about Weller RT - it can drive it, but I don't have any possible soldering iron in the world, and Weller is expensive. So I cannod make a profile for it without having it.

Reply #3191
Latest version available in Git. The links are the same. There should be no problems with displays anymore.

Reply #3192
(@Minkok, this means we do not need to continue prototyping the sensor board anymore, but thanks for your efforts nonetheless :-))
You are welcome, but hardware  filtering have to be done. The software filtering will be extra and give us posibility to extend the cables.
Anyway my choice is option2 ( simpler and will works the same way as changed ) and if it is possible can you test it?

Reply #3193
Hello Sparkybg, happy to see you again and thanks for the  amazing job.

Reply #3194
New version uploaded, added holder sensor filtering (although IMHO this must be implemented in the very sensor, as is done in the MCU of the original IR optical sensor).

And some updates on what's shown on the display:
- ACF = AC, full power
- ACH = AC, 1/2 power (you can see this on JBC Microtweezers on 24V)
- ACQ = AC, 1/4 power (You can see this on smaller irons like JBC C210, C105, C115 on 24V)

DCF, DCH, DCQ - same for DC power.

And again - PAY ATTENTION WHEN YOU ARE USING DC POWER OR LOWER VOLTAGE THAN 24V. This is tested ONLY with 24V 6A toroidal transformer as power source, which I strongly recommend as the best power source for this project.

I don't know when I will be able to test it wit DC source.

sparkybg thank you very much for your update. The new firmware will make the unisolder take off again. I want to know whether the support for 1106 screen will be updated in the future? Have you considered solving the temperature difference between different models of handles?