Skip to main content
Topic: Really universal soldering controller (Read 817538 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Really universal soldering controller

Reply #2940
Very good voltage, good transformer. Did you change the 4001, did you try with schottky diode, check your clothes, try without synthetic

Schottky arrives tomorrow, will try. I did change the 4001. Both TI version and On Semi behave the same. I have Nexperia incoming as well, will keep on experimenting. In the end it's not so bad if it keeps reacting to my body, at least it works reliably.

I have your pcb on order as well, I am curious to see whether there is a difference.

Reply #2941
I have your pcb on order as well, I am curious to see whether there is a difference.
I don't think it will be. I use self made pcb, far away from the factory quality, I have same voltage difference between plate and tip, never used extra protection resistors, I have direct Earth connection to tip and I got reliable work near by 2 years, only ones I replaced the 4001.
If some one need, I can add extra places for the schottky diodes on the board, in case that helps.

Reply #2942
I don't think it will be. I use self made pcb, far away from the factory quality, I have same voltage difference between plate and tip, never used extra protection resistors, I have direct Earth connection to tip and I got reliable work near by 2 years, only ones I replaced the 4001.
If some one need, I can add extra places for the schottky diodes on the board, in case that helps.

I think that's a good idea, to add space for the diodes. I received them today and quickly installed one in series with the 200k resistor. I could not test thoroughly because I am away from home now, but the first try showed no reaction to my hand anymore.

Reply #2945
Looks good Minkok. Maybe update the silk screen to indicate diode direction?

Reply #2946
Looks good Minkok. Maybe update the silk screen to indicate diode direction?
If someone don't want to use diodes, just to short the pads. BAT46W has a bit better specs for that purpose and pads are drown for it. 1N4148 SMD fits also.  Here it is:

Reply #2947
Looks like the diode really solves the "sensor activation by hand touch" issue. I have had no issues since installing it.

Minkok, you seem to be of the opinion that the diode is a last resort to solve the issue, and you seem to imply that the diode is not preferable if not absolutely needed. Why is that? What would be the theoretical downside of adding a diode?

Reply #2948
Looks like the diode really solves the "sensor activation by hand touch" issue. I have had no issues since installing it.

Minkok, you seem to be of the opinion that the diode is a last resort to solve the issue, and you seem to imply that the diode is not preferable if not absolutely needed. Why is that? What would be the theoretical downside of adding a diode?
There is some misunderstanding, The all directions I gave you, was for finding the reason of the issue and the last was diode solution. What I aim, is to keep the input voltage level as less as possible ( as down as possible from threshold level). as we connect two different  networks. I cannot guess, who will need that and/or he's willing to use it, as all of users of that great project are capable to take their own decisions.

Reply #2949
Thanks for explaining Minkok. Anyway, I spoke too soon. Just now I started unisolder again and the holder is reacting to my hand touch again. So it seems I will have to live with that.

Reply #2950
I spoke too soon. Just now I started unisolder again and the holder is reacting to my hand touch again. So it seems I will have to live with that.
Did you replace 4001 after adding the resistors. I use HEF4001 bought from Ali( not sure if original, but close looks), at least you can try

Reply #2951
Did you replace 4001 after adding the resistors. I use HEF4001 bought from Ali( not sure if original, but close looks), at least you can try

I tried TI and On Semi, but I also have the Nexperia HEF4001, so I just installed that one, let's see.

Reply #2952
Here it is: Touch Sensing old RS274X_final

R1=10M, R2=560, R3=200K, R4=10M, R5=560, R6=200K.
D1, D2, - BAT46W.
U1 - HEF4001BT.
J1, J3 - BSS138
C1 - 10uF.

C1 - 1206 smd?

Reply #2953
R1=10M, R2=560, R3=200K, R4=10M, R5=560, R6=200K.
D1, D2, - BAT46W.
U1 - HEF4001BT.
J1, J3 - BSS138
C1 - 10uF.

C1 - 1206 smd?
Footprint for C1 is for ceramic 0.1uF smd, only in noisy environment you can increase to 10uF in parallel with ceramic 10nF

Reply #2954
HEF4001 seems a magical chip haha. I'm not even talking about reaction to hand touch or not.

With this version all of a sudden hot swap is flawless. No matter the temperature, no matter the cartridge, no matter the time between swapping, I get consistent hot swap success. Never had this before. It must be a fluke, and I'm sure tomorrow will be back to normal, but it sure is nice to see.