Skip to main content
Topic: Really universal soldering controller (Read 723986 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Really universal soldering controller

Reply #2910
It's on AC. I think my wiring was incorrect. I had two separate wires going from each plate to the same connection on the sensor board, each wire with a 820k resistor fitted, with a separate wire connecting the two plates together. I now removed one of the wires going to the sensor. Now both plates behave the same, and the sleep works ok.

What does happen is that the power bar on the display goes to full power if I touch one or both of the plates or when I touch a cartridge when it is in the extractor plate (only the display, and only with "heater open", no power is actually present)

My tool is connected to ground via a 1k resistor.

Reply #2911
My tool is connected to ground via a 1k resistor.
You mean earth from a main. Afedorov has a own schematic, inspired from eevblog, published somewhere here

Reply #2912
You mean earth from a main. Afedorov has a own schematic, inspired from eevblog, published somewhere here
It's not perfect, still I'm using it with no problems so far. I don't know why, but my transformer, having separate shield winding directly connected to earth, still gives decent coupling to the secondary, so I'm having around 13VAC between tip and earth with 1M protection resistor. Though, I'm sure it's better than having direct earth connection which was played with me hard couple of times.

Reply #2913

Correct, sorry for mixing up ground and mains earth.

Reply #2914
I used https://www.elecrow.com/ for other project, they can read the gerbers correct, anyway I generated them again with no compression and compressed with 7z

Still the same on the Gerber preview with JLCPCB.

Their site has the following comment, which indicates what is probably going wrong:

7. Designs about slots/CUT OUT/ millings/ v-cut

Please kindly make sure that the v-cut lines, cut outs, millings and slots are in the same layer with the board outline. If it is not in the same layer with the board outline, it will be missed. So please kindly check it before you place your order.If it is missed due to they are not in the same layer with the board outline, we will not responsible for it.(If the slots are to be plated, it needs to be with the drill holes in the same layer, or it will be missed easily).

Their cost is about 2/3rd of Elecrow so I would like to order there. But I guess adapting your files is not trivial.

Reply #2915
But I guess adapting your files is not trivial.
If you have troubles with drilling only, most probably it is due to wrong units or formatting. Usually it is stated in the service's FAQ what units and formatting it's expecting. Also, X2 is not very popular, better to avoid it.

Reply #2916
If you have troubles with drilling only, most probably it is due to wrong units or formatting. Usually it is stated in the service's FAQ what units and formatting it's expecting. Also, X2 is not very popular, better to avoid it.

X2?

Reply #2917
X2?
There is good old Gerber format, and newer, not widely adopted (yet?) Gerber X2. Seems like Proteus producing those X2 files, but JLC accepts it, which is good. I've renamed files published by minkok to JLC's recommended naming pattern and service found drill files, but there some issues with solder mask - some connector pads doesn't has mask expansion.

Reply #2918
There is good old Gerber format, and newer, not widely adopted (yet?) Gerber X2. Seems like Proteus producing those X2 files, but JLC accepts it, which is good. I've renamed files published by minkok to JLC's recommended naming pattern and service found drill files, but there some issues with solder mask - some connector pads doesn't has mask expansion.

thanks a lot. It should be workable, I could scratch away the mask where needed. Although I probably will wait until an updated version is published. Afterall, I do not think this will improve my current solution with the resistor added to the wire.

What does C1 do in this circuit?

Reply #2919
thanks a lot. It should be workable, I could scratch away the mask where needed. Although I probably will wait until an updated version is published. Afterall, I do not think this will improve my current solution with the resistor added to the wire.

What does C1 do in this circuit?
Scratching the mask on fabricated boards doesn't sound right. )
C1 is on power rail for energy storage and decoupling, though it's too far from IC's power pin, but this should not be a problem.

Reply #2920
Scratching the mask on fabricated boards doesn't sound right. )
C1 is on power rail for energy storage and decoupling, though it's too far from IC's power pin, but this should not be a problem.

You're right, so I scratched the board I have :)

I added a 0,1uf capacitor directly to the vdd pin as per the attached pictures. Result is that sensor open always shows full power bar on the screen (the same behaviour as when the holder is disconnected from the station altogether), no matter if I touch the plates or not. The screen in other words does not change or glitch anymore when swapping cartridges. I call that a success.

Reply #2921
It's not a high speed circuit, so decoupling is not that important here. The problem may be intermittent and reside somewhere else.

Reply #2922
It's not a high speed circuit, so decoupling is not that important here. The problem may be intermittent and reside somewhere else.

Might be, but decoupling did result in the problem disappearing. Let's see if it stays that way.

Reply #2923
Hmm, still some weird behaviour, which might indicate a problem: When I touch the plates with my hand, the sensor acts as if the hand piece is in the holder. The power cuts off. This behaviour seems to disappear when the holder is getting warmer after a while, probably because the heat influences the resistance?

What could be the cause?

Reply #2924
CMOS inputs are quite sensitive and pull-up is very weak. Reacting on hand touch is rather expected. Heat may affect thresholds of the gate itself.