Skip to main content
Topic: Really universal soldering controller (Read 774645 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Really universal soldering controller

Reply #2670
I have 150Ohm (ID to Vout1- resistor) between ID and Q10 Drain pin and 150Ohm + Heater resistance (3 ohm) between ID and Q2 Drain Pin, while device is without power. But that seems normal to me since The Vout-1 is Drain of Q10 and the heater connects that to drain of Q2. I couldn't find anything else either that I could identify as wrong in the circuits around Q2/8/10/11 :(

I still have 3 more spare PIC32 (not that I wouldn't mind not killing them but still)
So I turned it one while having a DMM on ID line and it showed 0.072V while the iron is connected.
If I unplug SenseA (SenseB stays connected) while the controller is turned on and then replug it the voltage drops to 0.052V on ID line and the iron gets detected as C245 and works (I can regulate temperature properly). This behavior is repeatable.

Also even when the iron is heating voltage on ID does not spike, well it changes slightly but I am assuming that is temperature measurement or sth like that, but no voltages that seem dangerous in any sense (It seems to go to like 0.06V some times on my DMM). So I don't think it is getting voltage from V+. To be honest I think the first PIC32 was just damaged from the time where I had the CNTR connected reverse (mentioned a few posts up) and it just didn't show instantly and only faulted a while later.

But yeah no idea what could cause the voltage on ID to be to high after startup but get the right value to identify the iron if I replug SenseA. And have right values if the IRON not connected at all or tip/heater not inserted. This is all a bit to high for me :D

Reply #2671
It's strange, indeed. Sense inputs shouldn't affect identification. Check calibration again.

Reply #2672
I rechecked calibration and it was still correct.
Since I already removed the ID resistors anyway for calibration and I read somewhere in this thread that apparently without them ID should have 3.3V is that true?
Because I only measure 0.1**V on the PIC32 side of R24 (the resistor that connects PIC32 ID pin to 3.3V line) and 3.25V on the 3.3V line side of R24.

Reply #2673
Identification is a brief procedure performed periodically, that's why you're getting such a low voltages - DMM integrates it to a mean value.
Try to enter into calibration mode without cartridge connected, ID values should be 24 05. While calibration is running connect the cartridge and recheck ID values. It will not heat up until you exit calibration, though.

Reply #2674
Calibration shows without Catridge:
IRON ID:  24  05
CURRENT: 0  0
ADC: 0
R: 0
ROOM: 22

When I connect Catridge:
IRON ID: 23  05
CURRENT: 0  128
ADC:  151-152
R: 309-310
ROOM: 22-23

ADC and R values seem to go up then longer i wait, like very slowly

Reply #2675
When I connect Catridge:
IRON ID: 23  05
CURRENT: 0  128
ADC:  151-152
R: 309-310
ROOM: 22-23

ADC and R values seem to go up then longer i wait, like very slowly
Need to correct that I had SenseA and SenseB connected wrong way round for this
R is: 118-120
and ADC 58-59
Doesn't seem to go up like before :/
IRON ID still changes to 23 05 when plugging catridge through :/

if then I unplug Catridge again it goes back to inital values with IRON ID 24 5 and then all zeros except for room temp
And replugging catridge the does not change anything anymore except ADC seems to show values > 0 when the catridge warms up in my hands xD and goes back down when it cools off.

Reply #2676
Check R24 and 5.6k ID resistor, maybe its resistance a little off. And also check 3.3V rail stability. I initially thought it's going up. As I remember correctly, real ID voltages on my set is not in the middle of ID range, but closer to the thresholds, though it works. Perhaps your set just require to select R24 value.

Reply #2677
I replaced R24 with an other 1k 0.1% and measured both of the ID resistors which seem to be in 1% spec (my DMM has +- 8% reading +3digits)

150.0 so value should be in range of 148.5-151.5 (1% range is 148.5-151.5)
5590 so value should be in range of 5542-5638 (1% range is 5544-5656)
so the 5.6k ohm could be on the lower end of it :( sadly my DMM isn't accurate enough to tell :D maybe I gonna order some more of these in the future currently I don't have any other 1%s through only 5%.

Same behavior all the time through still even with replaced R24.

Anyway today I modified the FW to save the raw values from ADC iron identification and display them in calibration menu
and guess what after I flashed that modified fw the iron worked normally >.<
Raw Identity values are
with no cartridge:
132 834
with cartridge:
132 798-799
 774 and 875 are boundaries. well idk anymore this board seem to just be trolling me at this point >.<

Reply #2678
Anyway it's in its housing now and still working and I am only gonna touch it once again once I finished assembling the touch sensor :))

Reply #2679
I replaced R24 with an other 1k 0.1% and measured both of the ID resistors which seem to be in 1% spec (my DMM has +- 8% reading +3digits)
+- 0.8% reading + 3 digits I meant ofc

Reply #2680
Ch2 ID deviates too much. And it's not used for calibration nor for heater drive. Something weird is happening.
Oh! I think I know what's going on. You have GND and earth/case connected somewhere, it's not hard, but some relatively high impedance. Check the doodle, it all matches: case assembly, intermittent nature, only happening if iron is connected, Ch1 is not affected. What type of supply you're using? Is it switch-mode? And as disconnecting SenseA wire changes the behavior, maybe the leakage is somehow in this circuit.

Reply #2681
I am using a Toroidal 24V
uh, the housing is plastic only. Only connection to earth is the wire from the iron hm connector/senseB as per the first page.
You making me cry right now. I thought finally all was okay :/ but I guess you are right and TBF I can only assume that my iron handle is leaking to ground how ever that happens  :'(  :'(  :'(  :'(  :'(  :'(  :'( maybe I should solder the heating element to the wire to find out :D
Maybe the wires of CNTR might be connected but SGND is only pysically close to SenseA and not SenseB and I'd need a connection with SenseB I guess

Reply #2682
Just for my confirmation Rstray is supposed to go from Vout1- to GND somehow?
But it is normal that Vout1- to EARTH is 5750 ohm (both ID resistors)
If I try to measure resistance to ground from there it starts at like 2k ohm and then increases then longer I measure :( till like 40k and then falls again
Hm i i unplug CNTR I get >7M  (3.5M with iron connected) Ohm to ground

Reply #2683
You mentioned you have 2 sets , working and  the other not . Just compare the suspected points. Disconnect all unnecessary stuff like sensing circuits and most likely you do not have leakage from the handle, do not need to solder the cartridge.

Reply #2684
Sorry, I forgot to take into consideration sense clamp diodes. I've redrawn ID circuit properly and it seems that deviation of Ch2 ID is normal.
 :-[