Skip to main content
Topic: Really universal soldering controller (Read 773925 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Really universal soldering controller

Reply #2655
Hello everyone,

Thank you very much Sparkybg for sharing your knowledge with us,thanks to all the members who helped me a lot in building this wonderful Controller. I made the controller and it works pretty well,but I have the following problem:  I calibrated the controller with a precision 10 Ohm resistor 0.1% as stated in the instruction but I have a problem with temperature stabilization.For example when I set the temperature to 350 ° C - The temperature varies between 340 ° C and 360 ° C. The temperature is very volatile. The controller does not precisely regulate the temperature. I use the solder Iron JBC T210-A  .Please help me?

my best regards to all, Thanks

Reply #2656
The temperature varies between 340 ° C and 360 ° C.
It is normal for C210 and 24V supply. Minimum duty cycle is one mains period (or 18ms for DC supply) and it is too much of a power. You can drive it with 12V supply for better stability.

Reply #2657
It is normal for C210 and 24V supply. Minimum duty cycle is one mains period (or 18ms for DC supply) and it is too much of a power. You can drive it with 12V supply for better stability.

Hi, I connected the 12v power supply and it works great   :) . The Temperature is now stable +- 2 °C

Many thanks and Best regards

Reply #2658
Hi,
I finished my 2nd Unisolder staion last week. The purpose was to use it for a T210 handle.
I was able to calibrate it properly with the 10R resistance.
But when I measure the tempeature, it's off by 60 ~ 70° (Display 350° - real 280°)
Everything seems to work apart from that.
So yesterday I tried replacing R57/R59 by 1K8 and calibrated again.
This reduced the temperature offset to around 30 ~ 40°. By turning Rc2, I can get the temperature more or less correct, but then the "calibration" is off. It's not my intention to get a 1 or 2 degrees accuracy, but I would like the temperature to be more or less correct.
I don't intend to use it with other handles, so I could use it like this, but still I wonder if there is no better way to correct the temperature. Or could there be something else wrong?
Would replacing R57/R59 by 2K or 2K2 further reduce the offset? I don't fully understand what exactly the 'calibration' does...

Reply #2659
I don't fully understand what exactly the 'calibration' does...
Calibration does gain adjustment to the differential amplifier. It has to be precise because firmware math depends on it.
If you feel under temperature of a certain tool, it is better to adjust gain parameter of the respective profile in iron.c, so it will only affect this particular tool.
I have various C210 cartridges and on smaller ones I just raise the temperature to compensate lower thermal conductivity.
C210031, for example, performs very well with no additional gain adjustments. By the feel it's just slightly less powerful than C245945.

Reply #2660
Calibration does gain adjustment to the differential amplifier. It has to be precise because firmware math depends on it.
Ok, that makes it clearer. I will calibrate the value properly, no matter the temp offset.

If you feel under temperature of a certain tool, it is better to adjust gain parameter of the respective profile in iron.c, so it will only affect this particular tool.
Unfortunately, I don't have the tools nor the knowledge to compile the software.
It was mentioned early in the thread that it would be possible to update these parameters through the PC software. Does this work? I tried it briefly, but I had the impression, the values were not saved. I'll give it another try this evening...
Do I need the bootloader for that? I only managed to program the standalone software via PicKit.
When I program the bootloader, nothing works (black screen), and also when I try to update the firmware from the PC software it doesn't seem to do anything (I guess I also need the bootloader for that?)

Reply #2661
Setting parameters via PC software is intended to facilitate convenient profile creation. These changes are not stored in the flash.
Bootloader is only needed for firmware update via PC software.
If you flash bootloader it should pop up at power on (checkers).
If you have bootloader flashed, the firmware to update with should be PIC32_with_bootloader.
If you flash normal firmware via bootloader it wouldn't work at all (black screen). In that case reflash bootloader or normal firmware using pickit.

Reply #2662
Thanks for pointing that out. I figured it would save the changed values somewhere (since there is also an eprom on the board...)
I tried programming the bootloader a few times, but only got a black screen, no checkers (also with Up/Dn buttons)
Does that mean that when I program the standalone firmware (with PicKit), I cannot update the firmware with the PC software?

Currently I only have the C210010 tip, which also has low thermal conductivity. I will do some further checking this weekend, also with the T245 handle for which I have more tips available.

Reply #2663
Without the bootloader if you try to update firmware via PC the controller will just restart.
EEPROM is only used for storing user settings.

Reply #2664
So I tried to put my unisolder in a housing shortly after my last post, and after I did that it did not detect the iron anymore only showing "No Instrument" after it ran like that for a few minutes it shut down and did not start anymore. Turned out the PIC32 now had a short to ground (like I removed it and actually found at least one of the VSS and VDD pins had like 2ohm resistance). Added new PIC32 with bootloader flashed only and the little moving squares showed up for a very short time and then it didn't turn on anymore.

By now I even made a complete new front and back PCB but I can't get anything to show on screen with those either. Also I managed to put the screen in once upside down, can that destroy the screen? Made a new screen too but nothing happens with both of them.

Is there maybe some way I can check if the firmware is starting up, without needing the OLED cause at this point I actually don't trust either of the 2 OLED boards working anymore. (I would be able to compile changed firmware if that would help somehow).
Also don't own an Oscilloscope.

Reply #2665
Omg I think the screen works now on my 2nd board. But yeah any help with what I could do to try and figure out what happend to my first board (the one that showed no instrument and then had a shorted PIC32) would be appreciated. I really have no ideas anymore.

Reply #2666
Also I managed to put the screen in once upside down, can that destroy the screen?
Should not damage the screen, I think, but it will be back powered by MCU I/O, and this potentially may damage them (although, when I was fiddling around with US screen on RPi I back powered it several times and all survived well, even worked this way with noticeable brightness drop). Not to mention D/C-CS short.
At first you have to check for any shorts of MCU I/O pads (without MCU and screen on board) to GND, VDD and each other. It's tedious, but the problem could be anywhere. Should be harmless to power up the board without MCU and carefully check voltages on MCU pads not to exceed -0.3~3.6V. As you have shorted VDD-VSS on the dead micro it may be latchup.

Reply #2667
Did what you said and only found a broken resistor.
Added a new PIC (after replacing R11) and loaded the standalone firmware into it and the screen works.
But when I have everything attached including the T245 Handle (No cartridge inserted) it shows "JBC 245" and "HEATER OPEN"
and when I insert the cartridge (tried both I had) it shows "No Instrument". Any further suggestions?

Reply #2668
I have a feeling one of my wires broke to the iron connector

Reply #2669
Do not power it up for now. Check power section, especially lower MOSFETS, shunt and wiring. It is possible that lower switches do not operate correctly and you are getting V+ on ID pin through ID resistors and it kills PIC.