Skip to main content
Topic: Really universal soldering controller (Read 727267 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Really universal soldering controller

Reply #2595
yes this is realy ok same temperature for both
i would ude 2 handles from JBC for C245 i think
is T470-A ? ? ? or giv old T245 ???

thany you ! ! !

Reply #2596
where they can find PCB it for 10-15 euros  ? ? ?

Reply #2597
Hi everyone,
I have build controller and I have few questions..

1. Does calibration current should "jumping" from 302-382 uA?
Could be issue back board? output mosfets are from Aliexpress not sure they are 100% genuine.

2. Does normal ACD current and resistance jumping +-1 (calibration mode)

3. Can not identify chinese T12 clone tips. May someone has firmaware for clone T12 tips?

4. JBC T210 tips reorganize fine but real temperature -100c. Where can be an issue? anyway with rc2 I can adjust real temp, but where is the point calibrate with 10ohms resistor?

Thank you!

Reply #2598
1. It's normal. Controller is doing tool identification periodically. But using MOSFETs from an unknown source is strongly discouraged. Even if it's working now you may got issues, like red-glowing tips, in the future.
2. Completely normal, again.
3. What exact problem do you have? Is it shows "no instrument"?
4. How did you measured the temperature of the tip? Did you tried eutectic alloy method?

Reply #2599
3. No instrument t12 clone tips
4. I have temp tester for iron tips its very good and accurate. temp difference is huge but If I adjust rc2 I can get real value.

Strange issue also with ssd1309 2.42 oled. If I connect 2.42 oled acdc and resistance on calibration mode jumping +-15 is definitely abnormal... 3 pads on the back (front board) are shorted, wiring is good.
Saying because with 1.3 oled jumping +-2 (normal behaviour as u say).
Also if I add cap 820uF on 2.42 oled vcc 3.3v and gnd jumping +-6, better but not the same as 1.3 oled -+1.
If I disconnect vcc line and use separate external power source 3.3v to drive 2.42 oled its fine its the same readings as on 1.3oled jumping +-1
What could cause this interference???

Reply #2600
Tool identification is unrelated to the tip itself, so no difference if it's original or a rip-off.
This tool uses both channels for identification, thus, maybe, second lower MOSFET isn't switching. Also it may be wrong connection or resistor tolerances. Disconnect the tip, connect only the handle. Start the calibration mode and check identification values. It should be 24 19.
I don't trust external thermometers, especially when measuring such a small tips. Did you tried to solder? 100C difference is well noticeable.
I solder lead alloys with 330C setting for C210 (somewhat higher than C245 because of lower thermal mass of the tip) and it performs very well.
Regarding OLED - it may be some ripple induced on VDD by display's internal DC-DC regulator, try to connect it via ferrite bead and additional capacitor.

Reply #2601
oled 2.42 issue solved. replaced 100uf (vcc line) tantalum cap on oled board with 330uF. On the front board add cap 3300uf on vcc oled line, add ferrite core on wiring oled. Add caps 3300uf on vcc3.3 and -0.6v lines. No I can say there is no jumping at all +-1 very good. Sparky has build very good device, but for dc filtering caps should be higher value.

what about alloy melting temperature, if display shows 300c it does not melt alloy (real 200c). 320c on display (real 220c) starts melting.

what about t12 I will check U2B pin5 I dont like this IC from aliexpress and plus  I got used part :) also its good idea connect only resistors and check on calibration mode it identify or not ID.
Very difficult get SUD50P10 and IPD053N08 from suppliers. In my case IPD053N08 I am sure not OEM part. I am from EU shipping from USA suppliers cost too much. May some are alternatyve parts with the same spec?

Reply #2602
Very difficult get SUD50P10 and IPD053N08 from suppliers. In my case IPD053N08 I am sure not OEM part. I am from EU shipping from USA suppliers cost too much. May some are alternatyve parts with the same spec?

I am in the EU as well (The Netherlands), and I can order with Farnell, who ship for free. Farnell have both SUD50P10 and IPD053N08 in stock, minimum order qty of 1. Is it not possible for you to order with them?

oled 2.42 issue solved. replaced 100uf (vcc line) tantalum cap on oled board with 330uF. On the front board add cap 3300uf on vcc oled line, add ferrite core on wiring oled. Add caps 3300uf on vcc3.3 and -0.6v lines. No I can say there is no jumping at all +-1 very good. Sparky has build very good device, but for dc filtering caps should be higher value.

Can you share some pictures of your modifications to the front board?

Reply #2603
Sparky has build very good device, but for dc filtering caps should be higher value.
It's adequate for the stock display. 2.42" OLED is more power hungry. Moreover, tantalum capacitors have a wide ESR range, depending on  model, from a couple of dozens to several hundreds of mOhms.
C210: Calibration is done using only SENSEA, but C245 and C210 uses both channels, so the problem may be in R61, R64, D20, D21, C63, C64, U16. Also, there may be a leakage on the PCB in the input section (in the negative input path presumably).

Reply #2604
T15 solved. RC2 was dont calibrated, I did calibrate RC2 for T210 to get real temp thats why dont identify T15. T15 tip temp is very accurate 300c on display real 299c :) Very happy. But T210 real temp difference is huge.... Today I got OEM mosfets will change and project done! thank`s again for Sparky!

Some peopel ask about my modification, I will add some pictures and video (calibration mode) few days later because I want to clean pcb boards with Ultrasonic to get factory looking :)

Reply #2605
I did calibrate RC2 for T210 to get real temp thats why dont identify T15.
That's strange. Tool identification is not dependent on the differential amp in any way. Maybe you have a bad solder joint somewhere and a mechanical stress on the PCB affects identification.
I want to clean pcb boards with Ultrasonic to get factory looking :)
It's vital. We're talking about microvolt measurements. PCB should be clean as a whistle before power it on with a tool connected.

Reply #2606
Well, I finally got my UniSolder station up and running.
I had been looking at this project for quite some time, until a few months ago I finally decided to start building one.
And, after a few minor issues, it's now up and running. I've been using it for about a week now, along with a JBC T245 handle (which was one of the reasons to build this). And I must say, I'm very impressed! Both by the Unisolder and by the T245.
So, big thanks to sparkybg and all who have contributed to this amazing project! !

I do have one small problem though. I initially assembled it with a 2.42" display (thinking 'bigger is better'). But the 2.42 display is a little too big for my taste. It's a nice size, but the picels are showing a litlle too explicit sue to the 'limited' resolution. As I thought the 0.96 display was too small, I went and bought a 1.54" display on Aliexpress. I has SSD1309 SPI interface.

It works fine, displaying the information properly. However it 'drifts' off after some time. It seems to ma s if there is a problem in the sync, which makes it loose some pixels at the beginning.
I bought 2 of them and they both have this issue. The 2.42" display doesn't have this.

I attached a few pictures to illustrate:

X  X  X

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

btw, don't mind the front panel, it's just a rough 'prototype'

Reply #2607
PCB should be clean as a whistle before power it on with a tool connected.

I think you are exaggerating. Cleaner boards are always better obviously (lower leakage currents in humid conditions etc.) but it is definitely not "vital" that the boards are extremely clean before powering up as long as the residues are non-corrosive and electrically safe to leave on the board. But that is just my opinion ;)

I got one of my two assembled sets of boards working today (the other one will have to wait until I find more time). I had a little bit of an issue with the calibration and R showing 2087 constantly (independent of Rc2). The wiring on the 3-Pin header (ID,SenseA,SenseB) was to blame.

At this point a big thank you to Sparkybg for the project and also Valerio for his documentation as well as Bug82 for the interactive PCB map.

A few recommendations from my side if you are going to build this yourself:

1. Use soldermask colours with good track visibility (green, red, yellow). It makes for much easier assembly. I checked the orientation of all parts after assembly, but I got everything right first try without much attention, without looking anything up - just because I could actually see the traces. This might have been mentioned before, I'll say it again. Marco Reps said "unclear silkscreen". Silkscreen is not the problem, people ordering boards with black soldermask is the problem.

2. I think in most BOMs there are IDC connectors listed, I would just get a pre-made cable honestly. Easier and you don't end up with meters of flat cable you will rarely need. Also no potential of orientation issues.

3. Use AOD409 for Q2 and Q8. It is listed in some BOM and it's considerably cheaper than the MOSFET from the original BOM.

Also I might upload my BOM for all of the parts that are available from LCSC if there is any interest in that.

Reply #2608
3. Use AOD409 for Q2 and Q8. It is listed in some BOM and it's considerably cheaper than the MOSFET from the original BOM.

This is a 60V part, which is cutting it really close. Sparky recommended at least 80V parts.

Reply #2609
I think you are exaggerating.
A bit, yes. Though no one knows what flux were used so it's better to have perfectly clean board than have some unknown substance on it that may have leakage or would corrode leads over time, producing all sorts of weird problems.