Skip to main content
Topic: Really universal soldering controller (Read 708765 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Really universal soldering controller

Reply #2550
Thank you for advice. I will correct this and re upload BOM sometime soon.  Order is now placed.

If anybody is interested I will have some spare PCB's soon.

Reply #2551
Hey mates,

I'm setting up gitlab project for keeping our work (software, firmware, hardware) and issues, at the moment project is "private" until I finish setting everything up, and make sure that there are no problems with it, after that it will be open to everyone, but right now want to make sure that we don't break existing hardware.

At the moment we have 4 volunteers:
   Developers (can add/edit issues, upload SW/FW/HW changes)
       1. Alexandr a.k.a Talkos
       2. Mihrz
       3. Tim a.k.a TimFrankenNL
  Reporters (can add/edit issues)
      1. Doomedahab - Main person who made this possible by donating hardware for me!. if you need more permissions please let me know and I will update your account.

if there is anyone else who wants to help in any way e.g. please pm me with your gitlab.com account and in which way you want to help and I will add you to the project.
  1. testing firmware and reporting existing issues (in this case bugs) in gitlab.
  2. creating "issues" with suggestions what needs to be proved or what new features we need, etc. 
  3. software, firmware, hardware development.

P.S. you can also report bugs and new feature request, etc. here too if you for some reason don't want or can't use gitlab. I will add them myself in bug tracker on gitlab.

short howto for development will be like this:
  1. someone enters a bug or a feature, we review and verify it (bugs only)
  2. someone fixed bug in a branch, then we do code review, perform QA if everything is okay we merge code into master branch.
  3. binary files will be uploaded to dropbox and added to the forum. why separate place for binaries? because keeping compiled
  code in git is complicates and slows down development process plus it uses valuable space, + as I said before slows down
  commits and complicates matters.

for new features process is the same except, in step 1 we have to decide weight for the feature (how complicated it is to implement it, how useful it is), thus most important things will get top priority - specially if it's an easy task to do. Note: implementation time for requests that ask to add support for new devices, will depend on device availability (e.g. if non of the developers have the tool nor need that tool himself at the moment, we will either need to borrow device from someone or crowd fund purchase of it (if majority needs support for it), or wait until developer(s) decide that they need that tool for some project and the tool would pay itself)

P.S. sorry if something makes no sense its 4AM right now. also if you have any other suggestions let me know.

P.S. when things start moving forward I will move project from gitlab to a private server so we can have automated firmware deployment (automatic compile of firmware on that server, so you can test changes in real time, even if you don't have development environment to compile firmware and you don't want to wait for developers to compile and upload firmware manually)

Reply #2553
Hi all,  been lurking here for a while and have recently finished my UniSolder.  I’m really pleased with it, I had been using Metcal and really like the flexibility now offered by the UniSolder.  I went for a genuine T245 It wasn’t cheap but well worth it.

@Iwanushka - Really pleased you are looking at the firmware. I have set up a gitlab account and would be pleased to help with any testing or review.  I’m a recently retired electronics / process control engineer and now spend much of my time on various electronic and radio related projects.

Clive

Reply #2554
As per previous recommendations I revisited  BOM and corrected following components:
- IRLML2502
- IRLML6401
- IPD053N08
- SUD50P10

Changes increases cost but as it was mentioned there is a risk of having duff components. Win some loose some.

New BOM v2 uploaded

Reply #2556
Hey mates,

I'm setting up gitlab project for keeping our work (software, firmware, hardware) and issues, at the moment project is "private" until I finish setting everything up, and make sure that there are no problems with it, after that it will be open to everyone, but right now want to make sure that we don't break existing hardware.

I am really pleased that there are people who want to improve the firmware. May be Sparky (you read this thread I know :) will be joing this efforts in comfortable for him role. I think he had very interesting ideas from the beginning).

For the rest of us, not gifted with profound developer skills)), it would be nice if you set up donation feature on the web page somewhere,  so that we can support developers.

Also, it would be nice if you can maintain repo on Github too)))

Reply #2557
The code and designs are added to the Private Gitlab repo.
I know the original design was made with Altium and due to commercial reasons it doesn't contain altium-project files.
Not sure if someone has the original project files, since I do own Altium Designer and could  transfer to opensource CAD if desired.

For now it would be possible to fix bugs and extend the PC software, hardware features will require a redesign in CAD.

For the rest of us, not gifted with profound developer skills)), it would be nice if you set up donation feature on the web page somewhere,  so that we can support developers.

Also, it would be nice if you can maintain repo on Github too)))

Not sure if maintaining the project on two repo's is useful when GitLab offers more features in my mind.
But then again, I also use gitlab for projects with Qt/python/C++ on embedded linux which build on merge with Releases.
 :D

Reply #2558
Not sure if maintaining the project on two repo's is useful when GitLab offers more features in my mind.
But then again, I also use gitlab for projects with Qt/python/C++ on embedded linux which build on merge with Releases.
 :D

OK :), let us know when it becomes public repo, I would be interested to follow (since I have gitlab account :))

Reply #2559
OK :), let us know when it becomes public repo, I would be interested to follow (since I have gitlab account :))

As I mentioned above, keeping dev stuff private from non dev people is safer, we don't want to burn your hardware or house, tested firmware will be uploaded to dropbox or something like that, I can give reported access to anyone who wants to test firmware and make new tickets for current issues/new features, also on gitlab we keep source  code only, which including built firmware after its tested will be available to public, ofcourse if you can compile firmware and are willing to test it let me know will add you to gitlab project.

Also if there are others who want to join in developing firmware let me know.

P.S. regarding Altium its not against sharing the project files, there is only one condition you need Altium license to use/open/edit that project, I have altium too, sparkybg just didn't want to share project most likely as protection from all those ebay/ali sellers, who want to redraw schematic/PCB/firmware to tweak it for better sales..., but that is not an issue for us we can redraw schematic, we can generate PCB project from gerbers using Altium, which is in todo list, but firmware comes first

P.S.2 yes gitlab is much better, also when things start moving along (need to add wiki, etc) I will move project to my dedicated gitlab server which allows you to compile and deploy firmware directly from gitlab project, github don't have this option...

Reply #2560
Regarding donations, it would really help, especially when things will be hosted on private server to pay for it, but for now let's postpone it. Also we need to decide how developers will share the donations. Until one one pays you you do it either to improve your own tool, or your skills, etc. But when money gets involved we might end up with 200devs that do nothing just play in the sandbox for the sake of the money

Reply #2561
As I mentioned above, keeping dev stuff private from non dev people is safer, we don't want to burn your hardware or house, tested firmware will be uploaded to dropbox or something like that..

My understanding (and correct me please, if I am wrong) in order to obtain uploadable firmware, one would need a C compiler to make it. As of current state - (as I understand) one would need a specific version of C compiler (even paid version). You probably going to host a raw  C code on repo, thus obtaining a firmware would be non-trivial task)).

Open repository will probably give an opportunity to watch for the frequency of commits and overall feeling for the project progress. Of course it is up to you how your team wants to run this project, whatever you would make in development of this project would be highly appreciated by the community :)

Reply #2562
Regarding public repository on gitlab it's a valid point and opening it to the public has lots of advantages e.g.
1. Everyone can sumbit bug reports
2. Everyone can submit tickets for new features
3. Everyone can see what progress is made.
4. Everone can see on which task we are working and "weight" a.k.a priority of the issue.
But as said before first thing we need to prepare repository accordingly to industrial standards (I had to oversee international team of QA (testing) and developers, that involved in software, firmware, and hardware development) from experience I know how it is to deal with all this if the rules for development are not set correctly. Before opening it to the public we need to so the following:

1. Split project into sub projects:
A) firmware has to be split into bootloader and into actual firmware that does all the "magic"
B) software has to be split from firmware, taking into account for protocol changes between firmware and software.
C) schematics and PCB has to be split.

2. Project must contain proper instructions for developers:
A) how to sumbit code and what to submit. (only source code, compile time stuff and binaries should not be in repository).
B) all work should be done in separate branch (one branch per issue).
C) code from branches must be tested by QA before merging into master branch.
D) if we have support for multiple components (e.g. different drivers for Screens) all drivers should be in the same repository not in 10 different ones, specific driver selection should be done using compile time compiler commands.
E) developer should never merge his own code into master branch, other developer should do code review and if everything looks okay then merge it.

3. All dvelopers should use same development environment ( I will setup dev virtual machine for this and host it somewhere like dropbox) this avoids problems that arise because of different setups.

4. Project must contain proper instructions for entering new tickets into the system.

5. We need somewhat semi-proper wiki that explains this for end users:
A) how to compile software and firmware.
B) how to assemble boards, we had some many issues regarding this.
C) how to connect different soldering tools
D) how to calibrate system
E) how to add custom profiles for new tools.

When this is done everything will go public, please bear with me, I still don't have working set (damn customs messed things up), also because of above I'm not 100% guaranteed that I setup gitignore files accordingly (you either will have compile time files in the project that are usless, or you might be missing some files and you can't compile a thing.

If I missed something others can pitch in and leave comments.

Thanks in advance,
Mantas

Reply #2563
Also we might need separate forum thread for discussion regarding project development or we can try to do it here + gitlab issues feature. Also sorry for all misstypes, using mobile phone to write notes, and I just copy paste them here

Reply #2564
C115 also can be used with settings for c210. But i do not know how long they work with too hi voltage, 24v is not normal for this cartriges. But it work for now.
X