Skip to main content
Topic: problem erasing flash chip in flasrom (Read 3622 times) previous topic - next topic

problem erasing flash chip in flasrom

hello

I am trying to erase this chip so i can write the new bin to it aND its giving this error
Found Micron/Numonyx/ST flash chip "N25Q064..3E" (8192 kB, SPI).
This chip may contain one-time programmable memory. flashrom cannot read
and may never be able to write it, hence it may not be able to completely
clone the contents of this chip (see man page for details).
Erasing and writing flash chip... Trying erase function 0... 0x000000-0x000fff:EFAILED at 0x00000000! Expected=0xff, Found=0x00, failed byte count from 0x00000000-0x00000fff: 0x238
ERASE FAILED!
 any salution??

Re: problem erasing flash chip in flasrom

Reply #1
You'd be better off asking the flashrom guys this. They can be found on here on IRC or via email - see their mailing list.

Reply #2
Yep, after this point, it is a flashrom problem, not a Bus Pirate problem. You are better off with contacting them.

Reply #3
Hi haris2k11,
Graham242 and tayken are right, maybe it's better if you take contact with the flashrom's guys.
Anyway I'm pretty sure that the Bus Pirate can do the job by itself without the help of anything else.
Seems you have to perform a Bulk Erase command, so clip the probes on the N25Q064 in the right way and put the Bus Pirate in SPI.
Also pay attention to the HOLD/DQ3 pin which you need to tie to Vcc in order to deselect it.
If I'm not wrong something the command sequence must be this

[0x06][0x01 0x00][0xC7]%:125000[0x05 r]

otherwise take a look at the datasheet of the component.
RDSR (Read Status Register) 05h in the end of the sequence is for be sure all went well, look at its content by decoding it according with the datasheet.
The whole sequence require 125 seconds to be completed, so be patient.
I haven't that chip so I can't test the command sequence.
Good luck!

Regards,

sre71