Skip to main content
Topic: Bus Pirate milled aluminum case options (Read 6218 times) previous topic - next topic

Bus Pirate milled aluminum case options

For the past year, on and off, we've been working on getting serious about casing some projects. First up is the Bus Pirate, so we have a slick final device to include in the (finally done!) educational kit.

I've always been in love with the Saleae Logic case, and recall an interview where Joe says because of Apple milled aluminum is as cheap as injection molding for small runs.

Here are five potential designs. The finals will be anodized black with laser etched labels for the LEDs and pinout (front) and programming header and logo (back).

The case isn't just for Bus Pirate. We're going to over produce and make a bunch with no labels so it can be an awesome multipurpose case for your own designs.

*Fits DP5050 5x5cm SoB standard boards
*4 LEDs + light pipe
*10 pin header out
*6 pin programming header out (so it works with AVR/arduino stuff too!)
*USB mini-B hole

Wold love to hear which design you prefer. I'm partial to the three middle cases. I like the cut corners because its not just a copy of the saleae design.
Got a question? Please ask in the forum for the fastest answers.

Re: Bus Pirate milled aluminum case options

Reply #1
I like the middle one.
Are there screww holes inside?

Reply #2
Nice! I think I like the second one from the left the most.

Reply #3
But buspirate does not have this formfactor?, Logic pirate on the other hand..

Reply #4
[quote author="neslekkim"]But buspirate does not have this formfactor?, Logic pirate on the other hand..[/quote]

There's a version 3.8a in the SVN repository that does :)

Reply #5
screws will be in the bottom and sunken into the case. Finalizing details and laser etching now. Will have a new model soon.

Reply #6
Going to add "Bus Pirate" to the front again. Will also maybe flip the programming header pin labels - any thoughts on that?

Reply #7
2nd from the left is my favorite.  they'll look really good - almost can't go wrong with anodized Al  ;-)

Reply #8
I prefer the rounded corners (middle one). Although I would prefer not he ICSP broken out'. Everything is rounded in the world and not just sealogic only ;) Perhaps red anodized aluminium is a viable alternative?

Also side note to the 5x5 design (and all the other metric SoB cases) It is terrible to fit ICs and other SMD symetrical to the PCB. Can we design a 1"9 x 1"9 SoB with aluminum/acrylic case?

Reply #9
You don't have your grid in metric? :)

Picked up SLS 3D printed version from huaqiangbei today. Also got "LGT3.0-2.5" and "LGT3.0-4.0" light pipes to play with. Man, US imported light pipes are like $0.32 each, while the chinese one (with no datasheets, grrrr) are $1 for a bag of 200 :)

Reply #10
[quote author="ian"]You don't have your grid in metric? :)[/quote]

Nah, I'm lazy too :)

Reply #11
Any progress here?