Skip to main content
Topic: Brand new OLS (boot)loader tool - Windows and Linux (Read 122489 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Brand new OLS (boot)loader tool - Windows and Linux

Reply #90
Just got my OLS today.

I followed the instructions at: http://dangerousprototypes.com/docs/Log ... pplication
in an attempt to update the PIC and FPGA.

Everything I try gives an error:

sudo ./ols_fwloader -f APP -P /dev/ttyACM0 -V -t BIN -w /Downloads/ols-0308/OLS_Upgrader/FPGAROM/logic_sniffer_3.07-Demon-Core.bit
Found OLS HW: 1, FW: 3.0, Boot: 2
Error - unknown flash type (ef 40 14 00)
Is OLS in update mode ??
Unable to read Flash ID
Unable to open OLS

I guess I have the latest PIC firmware, but I am unable to tell what FPGA version is loaded.  I thought I remember reading somewhere that the new boards were shipping with a newer flash chip.

Thanks.

Reply #91
Yes, that id looks like a new Winbond flash chip (google says W25Q80).

Looking at the code, I think it's a simple change to define the new flash type, hopefully robots can confirm for sure.

Reply #92
Hi triden,

Thanks for the report, I'm sorry about the problem.

Here's the list of chips we've used:
http://dangerousprototypes.com/docs/Log ... 1_JEDEC_ID

I am unaware of any other chips used in production. May I please ask where this OLS came from?

I believe there is an override command in the ols-loader application that will ignore flash type. I will also make a new app for you now.
Got a question? Please ask in the forum for the fastest answers.

Reply #93
Here's an updated version. Lots of compile warnings, not sure it works.

Reply #94
Untested, but here's a quick patch for ols_fwloader if you're building from source...

Regards,
Jon

Reply #95
[quote author="ian"]Hi triden,
I am unaware of any other chips used in production. May I please ask where this OLS came from?
[/quote]

I purchased my OLS from Gadget Factory.  It shows Logic Sniffer v1.04 on the silkscreen.

Reply #96
[quote author="jone"]Untested, but here's a quick patch for ols_fwloader if you're building from source...
Regards,
Jon[/quote]

Joh,

Thanks for the fast patch update.  I recompiled and it now appears to work fine.

sudo ./ols_fwloader -f BOOT -n -P /dev/ttyACM0 -V -w Downloads/ols-0308/OLS_Upgrader/PIC_firmware/OLSv1.firmware.v3.0.hex
Found flash: WINBOND W25Q80
OLS switched to bootloader mode
Bootloader version 0.2.2
Bootloader version 0.2.2
Checking flash ... (0x0800 - 0x3c00)
Verified OK! :)

sudo ./ols_fwloader -f APP -P /dev/ttyACM0 -V -t BIN -w Downloads/ols-0308/OLS_Upgrader/FPGAROM/logic_sniffer_3.07-Demon-Core.bit
Checking flash ...
Verify OK

sudo ./ols_fwloader -P /dev/ttyACM0 -f APP -S
done...
Passed self-test :)

Reply #97
Thanks. I have added these IDs to the github repository.

Reply #98
Thanks everyone!

Reply #99
Since there are two different crystal configurations out there, it is important to protect that region from overwrite.

Reply #100
and you are trying to say?

the tool actually protect you from writing to the Bootloader part(first xx kb), and to the fuse part (last few bytes).

Reply #101
Hello,
I wrote a codeless kext that allows this tool to work under Mac OS X.  It also works for all the other firmware loaders for the Diolan-type bootloaders found on the OLS and IRToy.  I have only tested it on 10.7.4, but it should work on others.

Reply #102
jrsub25,

Thanks for this contribution. Can you please share a little about how it works, I'm not familiar with Mac. I'll add a link to the documentation.

Reply #103
Hi Ian,

In operation, a codeless kext is a bit like udev.  When a device in the Diolan bootloader-mode is connected to the Mac, it is matched to the IOUSBHID Driver.  Libusb has no way to unmatch this driver and use the generic IOUSBInterface.  This leads to errors about "Cannot claim USB device."  The DiolanDeviceDriver matches the device with PID, VID, and bcdDevice, giving it the highest probe score, thereby blocking IOUSBHID and using standard IOKit.  The driver has no code in it, simply a plist file.  By matching to VID, PID, and bcdDevice, it only effects the bootloader mode.  There are entries for the OLS and IRToy.

To install:

sudo cp -r {path to the kext}/DiolanDeviceDriver.kext /System/Library/Extensions/

sudo kextutil /System/Library/Extensions/DiolanDeviceDriver.kext

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

As a note, those on 32bit systems may have to edit all instances of "com.apple.kpi.iokit" in the plist file to "com.apple.kernel.iokit".  Other devices can also be added to the file.