Skip to main content
Topic: IrScrutinizer: Software for IR capture etc, supporting IrToy (Read 10968 times) previous topic - next topic

IrScrutinizer: Software for IR capture etc, supporting IrToy

Hi,

I would like to announce myself and my software, IrScrutinizer. 

IrScrutinizer is a powerful program for capturing, generating, analyzing, importing, and exporting of infrared (IR) signals. For capturing and sending IR signals several different hardware sensors and senders are supported. IR Signals can be imported not only by capturing from one of the supported hardware sensors (among others: IrToy, IrWidget, Global Caché, and Arduino), but also from a number of different file formats (among others: LIRC, Wave, Pronto Classic and professional, RMDU (partially), and different text based formats; not only from files, but also from the clipboard, from URLs, and from file hierarchies), as well as the Internet IR Databases by Global Caché and by IRDB. Imported signals can be decoded, analyzed, edited, and plotted. A collection of IR signal can thus be assembled and edited, and finally exported in one of the many supported formats. In addition, the program contains the powerful IrpMaster IR-renderer, which means that almost all IR protocols known to the Internet community can be generated.

Written in Java (with the exception of two native libraries), most of the functionality of the program is available on every Java platform. The native libraries (DecodeIR and RXTX) are presently available for 32- and 64-bit versions of Windows, Linux (x86 and amd-64), and MacOsX, and can with moderate effort be compiled for other platforms.

The program is free software licensed under the GPL3 license.

The present version is called 1.1.0, and can be downloaded from my website. I just fixed a number of IrToy related issues; a patch  kit containing these fixes is found as IrScrutinizer-1.1.0-1.1.0a.zip

Only Version 2.2 of the IrToy firmware seems to work well with IrScrutinizer.

Bug reports, suggestions for improvements etc, are kindly solicited.

(Sorry I am not allowed to post URLs, Google for "IrScrutinizer" for an URL.)

Greets,

Bengt

Re: IrScrutinizer: Software for IR capture etc, supporting I

Reply #2
One small issue encountered is that for multi-part signals such as the "Pioneer mix" protocol, if I capture a button via the scrutinize signal tab, I get both parts of the IR, but if I wanted to capture the whole remote via the scrutinize remote tab, it only grabs the first of the two parts.

If you have  JP1 remote, you can apply an "upgrade" to get it to send Pioneer mix protocol.

Reply #3
@Qwlciguk: thanx for posting the URLs.

for multi-part signals such as the "Pioneer mix" protocol, if I capture a button via the scrutinize signal tab, I get both parts of the IR, but if I wanted to capture the whole remote via the scrutinize remote tab, it only grabs the first of the two parts.
That's a tough one!! You can always capture in "Raw remote", but is has other disadvantages of course.

Another way to express this is that, using the normal protocol definitions (including the ones hard-soldered into DecodeIR), is that the remote really sends "macros", not just single signals.

Given this, I would claim that IrScrutinizer does the right thing, although I admit that you have a valid use case.

Can you suggest a clean solution?

Reply #4
[quote author="Barf"]@Qwlciguk: thanx for posting the URLs.

for multi-part signals such as the "Pioneer mix" protocol, if I capture a button via the scrutinize signal tab, I get both parts of the IR, but if I wanted to capture the whole remote via the scrutinize remote tab, it only grabs the first of the two parts.
That's a tough one!! You can always capture in "Raw remote", but is has other disadvantages of course.

Another way to express this is that, using the normal protocol definitions (including the ones hard-soldered into DecodeIR), is that the remote really sends "macros", not just single signals.

Given this, I would claim that IrScrutinizer does the right thing, although I admit that you have a valid use case.

Can you suggest a clean solution?[/quote]

I suppose in a sense you could say that the remote send macros, but it's a little more intricate than that.  The precise timing between the 2 parts is important.  If it's just a little bit too long, then the device will not respond.  Most remotes could not execute a macro containing the 2 parts quickly enough to meet the timing.

I can't think of a clean solution, but maybe an option to keep multi-part signals.  It's not very clean and could lead to confusion on the user's part.

Reply #5
After sleeping on the problem, it seems pretty clear to me: It is simply a matter of what the decoder (here DecodeIR) says. If we had a (custom?) version of DecodeIR that correctly identified the "dual Pioneer", everything would be fine. (Creating such a custom DecodeIR may be possible, the sources are available at JP1-forum.)

Unfortunately, DecodeIR has a lot of problems under the hood, see http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14219.  DecodeIR cannot say that a signal has several decodes (i.e. the same signal can correctly be interpreted as more  than one protocol/parameter), it just gives out one of them, because the programmer liked one better than the other; a logic that is sometimes hard to follow, and likely not documented. Also, the parametrization of some protocols is not really API-friendly, hexadecimal number are sometimes given out without any indication that they are hexadecimal...

Wanna write a new decoder?

PS. I can now write URLs!

Reply #6
It seems that IR Scrutinizer makes a small mistake when sending IR via the IR Toy.  See the thread: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=6645

Briefly, the final "off" time word should not be included in what is sent to the IR Toy.  The final word preceding the 0xFFFF terminator should be the final "on" time.  The IR Toy will take care of turning off the IR LED.  The 0xFFFF terminator is replaced with a 109ms "off" time automatically in the IR Toy FW.

Reply #7
Try this: http://www.harctoolbox.org/downloads/HarcHardware.jar (overwrite present HarcHardware.jar in the lib directory).

Thank you very much for your bug report, and your analysis, which is completely correct. Whether that is a good API to send either a gap or a puls of maximal length to signal the end on a sequenc is another story though...

Reply #8
[quote author="Barf"]Try this: http://www.harctoolbox.org/downloads/HarcHardware.jar (overwrite present HarcHardware.jar in the lib directory).

Thank you very much for your bug report, and your analysis, which is completely correct. Whether that is a good API to send either a gap or a puls of maximal length to signal the end on a sequenc is another story though...[/quote]

Thanks so much for the fast response.  It is working correctly now.

I think that I was fooled by seeing the IR Toy format as very similar to "pronto hex" format, which, as I'm sure you're aware, always has on/off count pairs and so always ends on an "off" count.  Somehow I missed the difference.  I expect that it is documented somewhere.

Reply #9
Nice that it is working. Actually, I interpreted the documentation so as the last 0xFFFF was simply an end-indicator, not a combined end-indicator AND gap/pulse duration. So now the last gap is overwitten by 0xFFFF. It can probably be argued that this is described in the documentation...

I hope to release the next release ("1.1.1") in a few weeks, including sources.

Reply #10
great software . i sucsessfully analyzed remote from new satellite receiver Prismcube  running under XMBC  ( use irtoy with 22 firmware under windows 8.1 64bit ) found it use MCE protocol and analyzed data i use to programming JP1 remote RCA RCP05

Reply #11
Hi,

I just completed a new version, called 1.1.1. Release notes:
Code: [Select]
Version 1.1.1
- New export format: IrToy-bin
- New importer: IrTrans
- Fix bug in Hexcalc when number > 65535.
- Splash screen on startup.
- Multiple decodes from DecodeIR are no longer "censored" (in all places).
- Parametric remote -> Advanced -> "Set misc. parameters" now replaces
all old parameters except D, S, F, and T.
- Fixed unclear semantic of "count" sends of an IrSignal.
- Fixed issue with sending by IrToy.

Version 1.1.0a.
- IrToy: fixed several issues. (Only FW version 222 is supported.)
- the count for transmit generated is now a saved property.
- csv-importer: can now parse hexadecimal numbers starting with 0x.

setup.exe for Windows
Binaries for other system
Sources

Reply #12
[quote author="Barf"]Hi,

I just completed a new version, called 1.1.1. Release notes:
Code: [Select]
Version 1.1.1
- New export format: IrToy-bin
- New importer: IrTrans
- Fix bug in Hexcalc when number > 65535.
- Splash screen on startup.
- Multiple decodes from DecodeIR are no longer "censored" (in all places).
- Parametric remote -> Advanced -> "Set misc. parameters" now replaces
all old parameters except D, S, F, and T.
- Fixed unclear semantic of "count" sends of an IrSignal.
- Fixed issue with sending by IrToy.

Version 1.1.0a.
- IrToy: fixed several issues. (Only FW version 222 is supported.)
- the count for transmit generated is now a saved property.
- csv-importer: can now parse hexadecimal numbers starting with 0x.

setup.exe for Windows
Binaries for other system
Sources[/quote]

Thanks.  I'll check out the IR-Toy bin file format capability.