Skip to main content
Topic: New PIC programmer adapter (Read 32642 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: New PIC programmer adapter

Reply #30
4.25 is a good reading. It should be the Vpp/3.

That jumper only selects the Vcc for the pic target (and the Vpu)

Edit: the 5.9 is for testing with the HVP testapp. I think something was changed in teh binmode for avrdude in 5.9 -> 5.10

Reply #31
Again the same problem with test program. This time I even got a couple of "cannot enter bitbang mode" problems.

Below is the output from v5.10; first ADC value is jumper in 5v position, second in 3v3 position.

Code: [Select]
HiZ> m2
1WIRE routines (C) 2000 Michael Pearce GNU GPL
Ready
1-WIRE> WP
Power supplies ON
Pull-up resistors ON
1-WIRE> A
AUX HIGH
1-WIRE> d
VOLTAGE PROBE: 4.26V
1-WIRE> d
VOLTAGE PROBE: 4.34V
1-WIRE>

Reply #32
[quote author="Sjaak"]
4.25 is a good reading. It should be the Vpp/3.

That jumper only selects the Vcc for the pic target (and the Vpu)
[/quote]

Hmm, OK, good to know. I missed that point I guess. :) Consequences of a long day (past 3 am here)

I couldn't check out the source files with Tortoise as my proxy doesn't allow it. So I used the compiled version. Maybe something in there?

If I can pass this point, I am planning to run some tests with the 4550 I have.

Reply #33
I,m not sure about the connection errors. My guess is the particular version of the app you're using doesn't,t match the current pic protocol. It should at least go I to binary mode though. You can capture the port activity with portmon and post the log here for further investigation.

At the moment the piratepicprog app only supports read And erase of the 18f2550. Youll need to add the 4550 signiture to the program and recompile. It's not to difficult, code blocks has a windows installer with everything you need. I can post the latest sour if you need it.
Got a question? Please ask in the forum for the fastest answers.

Reply #34
If it is fine, I can try to connect to BP or some other board for testing out the program. I have a Pickit2 at hand, so if I ruin something, there is no problem. I just tried the HW test program to see if I soldered the jumpers correctly for my v2go.

I'm planning to add support for 4550 once I familiarize myself with the program. I can do the tests on my Linux machine, I carry it with me all the time, plus the proxy at my university allows svn, downloaded some files before. So no problem with that. We will have Linux support, right?

Reply #35
Robots wrote the framework for the piratepicprog, I think it will compile unde Linux and Mac because that. Was one of the original design goals.

Reply #36
Cool! I'll probably do some work on Thursday. Will tell the results on the same day.

Reply #37
Let me know if you need help, I'll probably have some time to debug too if things aren't working. The protocol/app are a work in progress, I'm not quite sure of the current state :)

Reply #38
Thanks Ian! My guess is after adding 4550 support, we will be able to read and erase it just like 2550. After I confirm that, I'll work on writing to the IC.

Reply #39
Here's a hint: The write algo should work without any problems. I think the issue is the parsing of the .hex and placement of the configuration words (at a very high address in the 18F) is going to take some work in the app. Right now the app sees the empty space in the HEX between the program and the config words and tried to allocate that and crashes (problem1), the app needs to know that there is nothing between program memory and config words and disregard that space (problem 2).