Skip to main content
Topic: New PIC programmer adapter (Read 28862 times) previous topic - next topic

New PIC programmer adapter

This is the latest version of the PIC programming adapter.

Here's the main changes since the previous attempts:
*Stackable
*Bus Pirate can power circuit at 3.3 or 5 volts
*Bus Pirate can switch circuit power through a FET for VPP before VDD programming
*Removed AVR ISP adapter that didn't work
*Board is for v3, but cuttable/solderable jumpers make it work for v2go as well

Pictures and board attached, but the latest version is in SVN:
http://code.google.com/p/dangerous-prot ... programmer
Got a question? Please ask in the forum for the fastest answers.

Re: New PIC programmer adapter

Reply #1
Nice. This one, like the BP, will see a lot of use & handling, so it would be great if a case can be sourced.

Reply #2
This is actually stackable, it will sit on top of the Bus Pirate so you don't need an extra 2x5 to 2x5 cable. I also want to make sure that a 1x5 ICSP cable is included with the board, I can never find parts like that.

Reply #3
This is what comes very near to the cable I like to have along it:

http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/4-pin- ... l?cPath=34

Only if it would have 6 (the extra pgm pin some pics need) it would be perfect! (http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/6-pin- ... l?cPath=34 comes very close ;) )

Reply #4
:(    But I just got the BP case! I'm gonna need a new case, anyway.

Reply #5
It should stack on top of your case too :)

Reply #6
This looks awesome!

I do wonder about the expense of a specialized adapter, especially when compared to the low cost of a PIC programmer, but I suppose even $5 saved is worth it to some.  I don't mean this as a criticism - just an observation.

Reply #7
I think it fits the spirit of the buspirate perfectly. It is ment as a Swiss army knife and easily accessable. It brings PIC programming to people who otherwise wouldn't buy a PICprogrammer.

I like the idea that the functionality can be extended by either software or hardware. I hope a lot of extension are coming ;)

Reply #8
So why not call it the BP PIC Programmer Shield?

Reply #9
Will the HVP adapter be available through Seed Studio and at what price? Also any plans for options like the PCB only, kit or fully assembled?

For occasional PIC programming in my opinion this would be the best option for those of us already having BP :)

Reply #10
It will be available eventually. I don't know the price, it's still in development, but under $20 or it's not worth it.  This PCB went out this week, it'll be back in a month to stuff and test. Then we have to write some software to support it :) It will be available fully assembled, and we can probably have boards made up if you like too.

Reply #11
[quote author="ian"]
It will be available eventually. I don't know the price, it's still in development, but under $20 or it's not worth it.  This PCB went out this week, it'll be back in a month to stuff and test. Then we have to write some software to support it :) It will be available fully assembled, and we can probably have boards made up if you like too.
[/quote]

Thanks for the explanation, Ian!

Hehe, it seems I'm too impatient ;)

Reply #12
[quote author="liyin"]So why not call it the BP PIC Programmer Shield?[/quote]Isn't the term "Shield" kinda reserved for the Arduino folks?  They might be a little miffed to see other products carry that name if they're not Arduino compatible.  Personally, I never liked the term, but it goes nicely with Arduino.  It might cause confusion if Bus Pirate extensions carried that name.

Reply #13
:) )     Maybe BP PIC Programmer Wing! Module! Block!   Let's do a poll!

Reply #14
[quote author="rsdio"]
[quote author="liyin"]So why not call it the BP PIC Programmer Shield?[/quote]Isn't the term "Shield" kinda reserved for the Arduino folks?  They might be a little miffed to see other products carry that name if they're not Arduino compatible.  Personally, I never liked the term, but it goes nicely with Arduino.  It might cause confusion if Bus Pirate extensions carried that name.
[/quote]

I get a sorta itch from everything arduino. I prefer to call it just adapter :D