Skip to main content
Topic: Help with an OLED screen (Read 3521 times) previous topic - next topic

Help with an OLED screen

I need to get a OLED screen to work, concretely this one:
http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=6062 ... 317209.0.0
According to the manufacturer they have the same controller and work like a different 1.04inch model that seems to have been tested by some people and there's even an arduino library.

I've bought 20 of them for a project because I already had one that I bought 3 years ago that I could use for prototyping while the others arrived, and knowing that there are libraries out there I thought it would be easy to make them work.

I've made a small prototyping board with a PIC and a boost converter to supply 13.5V for the screen generated from 3.3V. The regulator seems to work well and the screen responds to all of my commands, in fact I've gotten it to display whatever I want but with a very very faint white-ish glow that It's almost impossible to see unless in total darkness. I've based my code on the files provided by the taobao seller (the code seems to have some errors that I think I've fixed) and on the SSD1332 datasheet itself but I can't get them to properly work.

I've tested and measured the voltages generated by both the regulator and the screen and all are up to spec (even checked ripple with an o-scope). I've tested all the commands available for the SSD1332 according to the datasheet with different values and in different order. I've also tried asking the seller but he says that he hasn't got more info than the two files posted in the taobao page. I'm respecting the recommended power-on sequence too.

I've also noticed (too late) that in the comments page there seems to be some people complaining that they can't get them to work either, while they could make the 1.04inch version work (at least that's what google translator says).

Any clues?

Re: Help with an OLED screen

Reply #1
I think I got the same display somewhere here.. :) never got around to play with it though.

It could be a broken batch (perhaps why it could be that cheap) or something wrong in your/his code. I had simulair problem with an other oled and i solved it by playing with the duty cycle/freq/brightness settings. They changed things differently then I expected. Dunno the exact solution anymore.. Also check the reference schematic as all the chinese sellers seem to copy it over and over except for the right values, also looking at a different versions of datasheet can help.

Reply #2
[quote author="Sjaak"]I think I got the same display somewhere here.. :) never got around to play with it though.

It could be a broken batch (perhaps why it could be that cheap) or something wrong in your/his code. I had simulair problem with an other oled and i solved it by playing with the duty cycle/freq/brightness settings. They changed things differently then I expected. Dunno the exact solution anymore.. Also check the reference schematic as all the chinese sellers seem to copy it over and over except for the right values, also looking at a different versions of datasheet can help.[/quote]

Yeah, I've looked at 3 different versions of the datasheet, some of them contain more commands, some contain less. The schematic values looked consistent to me in all of them.

I made a test software that would loop over all possible values of duty, internal voltages and brightness settings and nothing varied at all. I even shorted out the IREF resistor without any change. Only a faint glow with the rectangles/text I wanted it to display.

The code provided by the chinese seller uses an undocumented command related to power but using it or no doesn' matter... I'll see what I can do.

OLED 96x64 SSD1332 Issue

Reply #3
Hello,
I facing the same problem with the same display.

The oled respond to the commands as i listen the pwm but the screens remain black.

Did anyone resolved the issue? look like a defecive batch

Thank you

huttwil(..a.t..)gmail(..d.o.t..)com

Reply #5
I'm also having problems with this display. I've made the most basic test, connecting only GND, VDD (3.3), VCC (12) and RST (high). What is strange that on the IRef pin I get about 1.2V, without load, instead of 12-3=9V reported in the datashet.