Skip to main content
Topic: Simple DIY JBC soldering station (Read 54356 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Simple DIY JBC soldering station

Reply #15
Yeah me too ! It's one of the best DIY SID :)

Reply #16
any news about this project ? :)

Reply #17
I am following this... I would like to build vs buy!

Reply #18
any update

Reply #19
hi,
please can i have the scematic plan
and the hex ???

Reply #20
Hi,
Does anyone have information about this project - will go on or not ?

Reply #21
Yes, I have some information.

Breadboard from my pictures is disassembled and stored in my drawer. It wasn't very good prototyping platform due to parasitic capacitance and layout I used. I don't say it couldn't be done, but I hit several problems. I also don't use ATmega for my projects anymore, switched to STM32 MCU family.

Reply #22
Another not-so-good idea was TRIAC used as heater switch. With C245 tip running on full power (Vrms=21V with my transformer) we are talking about dissipated power 6.5W, 1.3V (rms) voltage drop on TRIAC.

Reply #23
But why not try the TRIAC version anyway, just for fun. Probably simplest JBC T245 and T210 driver possible. Works fine with small TRIAC heatsink for ordinary soldering. For high thermal tips such as C245966 you would need much bigger heatsink (for dimensions see ST AN533 or Semiconductors AN10384).

Reply #24
Next logical step is replace TRIAC with two back to back MOSFETs. Power dissipation when running with 50% duty cycle is 40mW per one MOSFET. So with 100% duty cycle and two MOSFETs it is 160mW total. Compare it with 6W on TRIAC version and it is clear MOSFETs are better solution - no heatsing required, could sit directly on PCB.

tbc...

Reply #25
MOSFET version works just fine! It takes about one minute to heat up 180g copper block to melt solder. MOSFETs temperature goes up to 60°C in this case.

Reply #26
Nice work

Reply #27
[quote author="jry"]MOSFET version works just fine![/quote]
Hi!Awesome work! i tried it with an AVR but the PID code do not work at all.. :( *"!§!"!"*
Would you be so kind an provide us the source or the project for the STM microcontroller?
That would be nice!
Thanks!

Reply #28
Hi where i can take wirmware for ur progect on STM32F103C8BOARD? or its secret information?

Reply #29
hi, board is STM32F103C8T6 from ebay... I bought it and i must say : "it is piece of crap". Errata sheet is long as toilet paper. I spend a few days trying ADC manage to work but, no... simply no.... internal capacitor from AD integrator inject huuuuge amount of noise to ADC input (ADC1,ADC2, all channels !!! ) and it cause 1,6V offset (with 100k load on inputs drop to 0,6V). I2C is almost unusable. And so on... 

for me, bad choice