Skip to main content
Topic: RF remote control (Read 6661 times) previous topic - next topic

RF remote control

Hello everyone!

My name is Michał and I'm from Poland.

I've redesigned IR Toy's v2 board a bit and managed to build it on my own and it works perfectly!

[attachment=1]

[attachment=0]

I have decoded my Medion's radio remote control codes via the WinLIRC:

Code: [Select]
# Please make this file available to others
# by sending it to <lirc@bartelmus.de>
#
# this config file was automatically generated
# using lirc-0.9.0(IRToy) on Wed Mar 05 01:34:06 2014
#
# contributed by
#
# brand:                      ..config.cf
# model no. of remote control: MD 83529
# devices being controlled by this remote:MD 83529
#

begin remote

name  ..config.cf
  bits          16
  flags SPACE_ENC|CONST_LENGTH
  eps            30
  aeps          100

header      9069  4445
  one          609  1625
  zero          609  494
  ptrail        608
  repeat      9063  2190
  pre_data_bits  16
  pre_data      0xFF
  gap          108216
  toggle_bit_mask 0x0

begin codes
          standby/on              0x01FE
          mute                    0x29D6
          backlight                0x8976
          function                0x619E
          sleep                    0x41BE
          play                    0x817E
  next                    0xC13E
          back                    0x21DE
          enter                    0x51AE
          display/clock            0xB14E
          preset/menu              0x09F6
          down                    0xA15E
          up                      0xE11E
          eq                      0x916E
          x-bass                  0x49B6
          alarm                    0x718E
          volume-                  0xD12E
          volume+                  0xC936
      end codes

end remote

I would like to build a 868Mhz tranceiver based RF remote controller for my radio which would transmit remote codes via IR diode attached to the radio IR receiver.
Could you tell me how the IR frame should look like e.g for the standby/on button?
I do not really understand the whole data in the config file and I do not know what and how should I send to the IR receiver.

Thanks in advance for all help and suggestions! :-)

Re: RF remote control

Reply #1
Hi nice project..thanks for sharing.

You protocol looks like the standard NEC IR protocol.

If you visit the site http://http://www.sbprojects.com/knowledge/ir/index.php you will find out all about IR.

Each high pulse sent is actually modulated (in your case at 38kHz). So typically an MCU or 555 circuit is need to generate this modulated pulse.

...very do-able.

You should just send a small code via the RF and let the IR sender build up the IR signal, which it should have stored locally. This means you would need an MCU on the IR sender.

Reply #2
Hey, would you share your design. Is it single sided? Thank you, luftek

Reply #3
I don't have a particular design, just commenting from experience.

Reply #4
The whole project with the Eagle files and the pdf with a printable board is in the attachment. The board is two-sided, but I've designed it as easy as it can be to build :-)

[attachment=0]

[attachment=1]

Reply #5
[quote author="sidiouss"]Hello everyone!

My name is Michał and I'm from Poland.

I've redesigned IR Toy's v2 board a bit and managed to build it on my own and it works perfectly!
I have decoded my Medion's radio remote control codes via the WinLIRC...
I would like to build a 868Mhz tranceiver based RF remote controller for my radio which would transmit remote codes via IR diode attached to the radio IR receiver.
Could you tell me how the IR frame should look like e.g for the standby/on button?
I do not really understand the whole data in the config file and I do not know what and how should I send to the IR receiver.[/quote]Parts of the LIRC formats aren't so well documented, but they give the on&off times from which you can see how the pulses are structured (as you probably know in detail now that I am late to this thread).
The trick to sending RF is to turn off (or demodulate) the IR softcarrier, as discussed with respect to building the "transceiver of all trades" (or "eierlegender Wollmilchtransceiver" as your neighbors to the West call it) enabled for selectively sending&receiving 433&868MHz AM at least in addition to IR at viewtopic.php?f=29&t=7133 - there is a patched version of LIRC for the Pi and ported to the PogoPlug that can do this.
Sadly, neither support for RF nor for the IR Toy itself seem to have made it into common distributions'/mainline kernels yet.
Multi-frequency RF (possibly considering 2.4GHz OQPSK as well these days) is a much needed addition to make a huge difference to home automation where there seems to be no complete, programmable and affordable commercial solution.

Reply #6
[quote author="TEN"][quote author="sidiouss"]I've redesigned IR Toy's v2 board a bit and managed to build it on my own and it works perfectly!
I have decoded my Medion's radio remote control codes via the WinLIRC...
I do not really understand the whole data in the config file and I do not know what and how should I send to the IR receiver.[/quote]Parts of the LIRC formats aren't so well documented, but they give the on&off times from which you can see how the pulses are structured (as you probably know in detail now that I am late to this thread).[/quote]In microseconds to be sure, and http://winlirc.sourceforge.net/technicaldetails.html + http://www.righto.com/2010/03/understan ... -lirc.html have been the best in a while.
The trick to sending RF is to turn off the IR softcarrier - there is a patched version of LIRC for the Pi and ported to the PogoPlug that can do this.
I.e. http://www.harctoolbox.org/lirc_rpi.html + http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,2068 ... #msg-21168 ...

Reply #7
Some comments (I am the person behind harctoolbox and IrScrutinizer):

If I understand the OP correctly, he want to transmit NEC1 signals with RF, possibly to have them reverse transformed at the device. In that case, the carrier should of course  not be removed.

Lirc, the possibly most overrated program in the open source community... Thanks to Alec Leamas, there is now an official docu of the parameters in lircd.conf, contained in the official Lirc, as the man-page, chapter 5, for lircd.conf, see  http://lirc.org/html/lircd.conf.html.

there is a patched version of LIRC for the Pi
well, that is a driver that can handle non-modulated sends, not a lircd.  Actually, until recently, lircd could not at all handle "0 modulation frequence" at all. I have raised a ticked with a patch, https://sourceforge.net/p/lirc/tickets/132/ which has been accepted and committed, so it should be in the releases "soon".

"My" lirc_rpi driver is now "maintained" at Github.

Reply #8
[quote author="Barf"]I am the person behind harctoolbox and IrScrutinizer[/quote]Thanks for joining & for your work! :)
If I understand the OP correctly, he want to transmit NEC1 signals with RF, possibly to have them reverse transformed at the device. In that case, the carrier should of course not be removed.
My understanding of how he mentioned radio and the original remote (decoded and to be emulated) being RF rather than IR... was that RF is what he actually intends to send from LIRC.
Lirc, the possibly most overrated program in the open source community...
Given how deeply it's now been "inkernalized" ;) and with almost all but FHEM based upon it: quite unlikely to be going away though (i.e. reality as per Philip K. Dick's famous definition).

Maybe the hardest part was for documentation (including the array of concoctions all across the web) to keep up with the turns in LIRC's development, especially when much had no easily accessible explanations and globally available ready-made dongles for people just trying to remote-control their media centers.

Especially with all the weather sensors and meter readings coming in over added ISM bands, I'd also prefer if there were simple kernel-side receive and send buffers sharable between LIRC and parsers for data transmissions (to avoid running additional receivers for the same frequencies on further GPIOs or even separate controllers), as well as to easily broadcast simulated datagrams, but I'm not the one equipped to implement (rather than just propose) any such extension.
there is a patched version of LIRC for the Pi
well, that is a driver that can handle non-modulated sends, not a lircd.
Sorry if I put too few words to the link further elaborating on this.
Actually, until recently, lircd could not at all handle "0 modulation frequence" at all. I have raised a ticked with a patch, https://sourceforge.net/p/lirc/tickets/132/ which has been accepted and committed, so it should be in the releases "soon".

"My" lirc_rpi driver is now "maintained" at Github.
Great, it's about time indeed for Linux remote controls to "officially" get the long-wishlisted viewtopic.php?t=431#p3702 extension of their scope to sufficiently high frequencies indistinguishable from magic. :)

Here's hoping that the IR Toy too will start shipping with multi-transceiver RF support soon (2.4GHz recently added to the challenge).

Reply #9
I have done that (sending with a 433MHz transmitter module) with Arduino, see my example. This sends an Arctech type signal, used by most cheap 433 MHz RF wall switches "with code wheel", Intertechno, Düwi, and many others. IrScrutinizer can generate those signals.

So as far as I see, just hacking the firmware a bit (as you say, rather removing stuff than adding stuff) it should be possible to connect an RF module to one of the (unused) GPIO pins.

Here is my Arduino software that, if configured correspondingly, sends modulated signals with IR, signals with modulation frequency = 0 will be sent by RF.

It should be doable to implement that with the IrToy. I am presently not "into" programming PICs, Although it is on my plan, PICkit3 present ;-).

Reply #10
[quote author="Barf"]as far as I see, just hacking the firmware a bit (as you say, rather removing stuff than adding stuff) it should be possible to connect an RF module to one of the (unused) GPIO pins.[/quote]That's been the idea discussed for half a decade, but little used before LIRC supported the IR Toy and your driver made the softcarrier switchable.
Here is my Arduino software that, if configured correspondingly, sends modulated signals with IR, signals with modulation frequency = 0 will be sent by RF.

It should be doable to implement that with the IrToy. I am presently not "into" programming PICs, Although it is on my plan, PICkit3 present ;-).
In spite of a 5£/€/$ Pi Zero coming our way, the Girs code in particular looks like it so wants to run on a http://de.aliexpress.com/item/V3-4M-byt ... Title=true (and the even smaller but not much cheaper ESP01&3) much like http://randomnerdtutorials.com/esp8266- ... d-sockets/
WiFi-enabled these would be ridiculously more simple to place and less power-hungry than my current crop of ARM-based bidirectional LIRC2LAN gateways (that also handle the respective serial LCD/VFD)...