Skip to main content
Topic: Bus Pirate OLS bootloader rescue v1 (updated) (Read 11267 times) previous topic - next topic

Bus Pirate OLS bootloader rescue v1 (updated)

Please refer to the bootloader rescue article for update instructions. The v1 Bus Pirate/Logic Sniffer bootloader rescue package is attached to this post.

The attached package contains:

* Latest Bus Pirate PIC programmer utility
    * OLS Bootloader v1 (for preorder 1/20MHz OLS)
    * Latest firmware for OLS PIC (05/06) and bootloader app
    * Latest test bitstream (2.04) and loader program
    * New inf file for firmware 05/06

EDIT: attached 16MHz bootloader in case you need to rescue an OLS with that crystal.
Got a question? Please ask in the forum for the fastest answers.

Re: Bus Pirate OLS bootloader rescue v1 (updated)

Reply #1
Bootloader install and firmware upgrade process went just fine for me with these instructions, thanks a lot!

Reply #2
Hi oh8hql - thanks for the report, I'm glad it went well.

Reply #3
I think my repair process went fine followed thru all the steps, what should the device show as in Windows device manager?
As it just shows as "Com 12" on my system where as before it showed as "Logic Sniffer" as I had to assign the driver before I could run the load_rom.bat since it would not give a com port as it was.

Reply #4
Hi DrF - that sounds right. The OLS just appears as a COM port (emulated USB serial port) in normal and ROM update modes. Thanks for the update.

Reply #5
Open Logic Sniffer bootloader rescue package worked fine. Used Bus Pirate in upgrade, although PIC programmer present. The OLS now works fine. Channel 1 is now 1 not channel 16. Waveform also appears better .  Thanks,

Reply #6
Are there instructions available for checking bootloader presence from a linux host? If i understand correctly the bootloader uses a serial protocol, i guess it should be possible to use minicom to check for certain bootloader output? What would ik be looking for?

Regards, Danny.

Reply #7
Hi Danny - The bootloader is USB HID, not serial. You can put it in update mode though and use the cross-platform pump-loader to read out the hardware, firmware, and bootloader version though. It's one of the first steps in the tutorial.

Reply #8
Ian,

Thanks for the quick response [s:]but where would i find the cross-platform pump-loader?[/s:]

I found the pump-loader in the forum. This returns the following output:
Code: [Select]
root@laptop-danny:~/logicanalyzer/pump-loader# ./pump-loader -p:/dev/ttyACM0
PUMP loader
Opening serial port '/dev/ttyACM0' @ 921600 ... OK
Found PUMP HW: 1, FW: 0.1, Boot: 1
Error - unknown flash type (ff ff ff ff)
root@laptop-danny:~/logicanalyzer/pump-loader#
So the bootloader seems allright buyt i'm a bit worried about the unknown flash type?

Reply #9
Hi Danny - Sorry about that. The linux and OSx pump-loader should be in the latest release package at the gadgetfactory download page:
http://www.gadgetfactory.net/gf/project ... ase_id=119

Reply #10
I'm afraid that file only contains windows executables. I downloaded the svn version from gadgetfactory repos.

Reply #11
Sorry again - I can't actually find the Linux or OSX versions anywhere, in SVN or release packages. We need to get them in the SVN and make sure they go out with the next update package. I'm really sorry about the oversight.

I didn't see the edit in the previous post. You have the bootloader, but the unknown flash type is a problem. Can you confirm that it also reports flash 0xffffffff on Windows or with the pump-loader.pl Perl script? The Perl script appears to be here: http://www.gadgetfactory.net/gf/project ... M%2Fbin%2F

We haven't seen this error in the wild yet. If the ROM is dead you'll probably need to return it to Seeed for a repair.

Reply #13
Hi,

Rescue work's like a charm for me. Good job !

Regards

Pierre

Reply #14
Heya,

I was having some trouble getting the OLS to show up on my PC after burning the boot loader and then performing the firmware upgrade. I managed to save things by re-burning the firmware with a PicKit 2, after which the OLS shows up on my PC as a COM port again.

Good job on the SPI upgrade!

Regards,

Christian