Skip to main content
Topic: Bus Pirate OLS bootloader rescue v1 (updated) (Read 11308 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Bus Pirate OLS bootloader rescue v1 (updated)

Reply #15
Hello,
I'm stuck at point 5, my windows doesn't recognize it as a HID device but only as a malfunctionning USB device... And when I try to run the firmware update it says device not found...

I programmed the bootloader with a Bus Pirate and everything seemed fine.

edit: I've noticed the crystal on my pcb is 16 Mhz and the recovery version is 20Mhz... Is there a 16Mhz recovery version? Should this version work too?

Reply #16
Hi Gesk,

The crystal speed difference is the problem. The 16MHz bootloader is attached.

As far as I know though, no 16MHz OLS shipped without a bootloader. What prompted your upgrade?
Got a question? Please ask in the forum for the fastest answers.

Reply #17
Ok it's fine now thanks!

The reason why I didn't have the right bootloader anymore is that I ran the update .bat program installed with the .exe setup, and the fpga didn't update because the COM port disappeared at that point and reappeared just after. The pic firmware then updated well. I then ran the update process again, had the same problem with the fpga and then pressed cancel for the next step since I had already updated the firmware, but unfortunately the program didn't stop and tried to update it anyway, I didn't put the board in the right mode so it just erased the firmware, I think, and the COM connection was gone. At that point I thought nothing was working but I didn't try to simply reinstall the firmware, and because I had a bus pirate laying around I put the wrong bootloader in and got stuck :D

Reply #18
I was unable to refresh firmware when I realized that the bootloader is missing.

I tried to burn it with PICKIT2 without a success. The crystal is 20M. In the burning it says that:
    "Some configuration words not in hex file." If I accept the default values, it doesn't work. (3FF8:07A6, 3FFA:0F5D, 3FFC:09FF, 3FFE: 0104)

I suggest that the 2 last bytes are the dev id-s.

So how to configure it?

Thanks.
George

Reply #19
Hi fenyvesi - what is the name of the bootloader file you tried to program?

Reply #20
OLSv1-bootloader-v1-20MHz.hex from the Rescue package.

In the meantime I tried with BusPirate, the result is the same. After burning there is no serial port.

Reply #21
Thanks fenyvesi,

After burning, did you connect the PGC and PGD pins before plugging in to USB? The ACT LED should light. It will enumerate as an HID device, not a serial port.

Reply #22
You won. I haven't tried it, because without it it doesn't recognized as serial port, I thought that it won't work. But after doing it there is a HID device. I am trying the fw upgrade.
Thanks a lot.
George

Reply #23
Thanks for the update, I'm glad you got it. I'm sorry about the missing bootloader.

The complete update procedure is here:
http://dangerousprototypes.com/docs/Log ... _procedure

The latest firmware and bitstream are linked here:
http://dangerousprototypes.com/docs/Ope ... er#Updates