Skip to main content
Topic: 504 Segment Clock (Read 2507 times) previous topic - next topic

504 Segment Clock

I have had no clock in my house ever since I scrapped my VCR many years ago. However, I did miss a visible clock and wanted to make one. But when you make something, it must be special, at least that is my opinion.

At some point I was being silly and got the idea of making a 7-segment clock, but then a bit different. The result became this:
[attachment=1]
[attachment=0]
Features include:
  • 72 7-segment displays in three rings; inner (hour) ring 12 displays, middle (minute) ring 24 and outer (seconds) ring 36 displays
  • Light sensor for adaptive display intensity; lighter during the day, dimmed at night
  • Movement sensor for waving interaction; show time/date with a wave of your hand
  • Each segment individually addressable with 256 levels of intensity
  • Ethernet connectivity for remote control and power entry
  • NTP synchronization for (near) perfect time
  • Some blinkenleds for indicative purposes
  • Buttons and RTC for off-line time-keeping
  • 3D printed case in four sections with Plexiglas cover and back
The whole clock is documented further at my homepage: http://www.vagrearg.org/content/504segclock
There are still a few things to fix. Currently this is iteration three and there will be a fourth (and hopefully final) one. It does look nice, if I may say so myself ;-)

Re: 504 Segment Clock

Reply #1
There's something very neat about the symmetrical quadrants in the prototype. I love the projects on your blog.

Reply #2
[quote author="t0mpr1c3"]There's something very neat about the symmetrical quadrants in the prototype.[/quote]
Yeah, that was quite a bit of fiddling to get that to fit. The optimum was a 10x10cm PCB, so that had to do. The holes are actually very close to the border to get a seamless connection between the quadrants. The price for the 20x20 PCBs have come down enough to do everything on one large now and I have confidence that the design will work as intended.

I love the projects on your blog.
It is what me keeps busy and sane ;-)

Reply #3
The board is so wonderfully strange and odd that I wish that I thought about it before you :-)  Well done and very cool.

Reply #4
[quote author="matseng"]The board is so wonderfully strange and odd[/quote]
Now you know how my brain works... wonderfully strange and odd. :-)

... that I wish that I thought about it before you :-)
Use it as inspiration. Your designs have already inspired me (remember the battery clip holder).

Well done and very cool.
Thank you.

Reply #5
Ah yes, the earring! That was another clever and artistic and idiosyncratic design. I hope you make more of those.