Skip to main content
Topic: fw_update problem (Read 10051 times) previous topic - next topic

fw_update problem

Hi there!
Im trying to install USBIRToy-TVBGone.hex into my USBIRToy 1.02 but it says.

C:UsersErsinDesktopUSBIRtoy.1.02firmware>fw_update -e -w -v -m all -vid 0x0
4D8 -pid 0xFD08 -ix USBIRToy-TVBGone.hex
U2IO flash erasing: FAILED.
Device is not found.
Operation aborted.

i checked my vid and pid;

it seems correct.
any idea ?

Thanks.

Re: fw_update problem

Reply #1
Hi ersinacar, it does seem correct. What operating system are you using?
Got a question? Please ask in the forum for the fastest answers.

Reply #2
Hi ian!
I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate  x64 Edt.

Thanks.

Reply #3
My guess is that the update application doesn't work on a 64bit OS. Could you please test it on a 32bit or WindowsXP install, then we'd know if it was the application or the hardware.

Here's the download page from diolan:
http://www.diolan.com/pic/bootloader_dwn.html

It lists Windows 7 as an OS, but it doesn't list 32/64bits. The last update of the Diolan utility was more than a year ago. It probably needs to be recompiled from source on your system.

Reply #4
Hi ian!
Im at Istanbul atm. i will try it on XP when i go back home.
Thanks for your time. Take care.

Reply #5
Hi,

I have a PC running on Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit and I think that the upgrade went ok but just to check does the "T" command is still ok on  version 102 ? because all seem ok but the T does not return anythings.

I was expecting to see V102.

Reg

Reply #6
You may have to try the command more than once. I don't know why - perhaps my software writes to the serial port too fast - but sometimes it seems that a command will be ignored or at least not return the correct results. I am always able to get the "V101" response eventually.

Note that I haven't upgraded yet, so I'm just saying that the original firmware seems to have trouble responding. Since the updated firmware represents a very minimal change, I expect that it's about the same in response.

Reply #7
Hi regisma - Yes, the T command works in v102 and should return V102 as shown in the image attached to this post.

Did the upgrade appear successful?

Reply #8
Hi,

You are right!

The T commands now return V102 !

I had to use a Pc which run on Windows XP to flash it out.

Many thanks

Reg

Reply #9
I received my UIT in the beginning of this week, and encountered the same problem: updating fw under Windows 7. Based on this suggestion, I was able to update the fw under Win XP. In this case, I used a terminal sw to activate the bootloader with a $ sign (as suggested in the manual).

However, after some more reading and suggestions, I decided to try out the fw update while bridging the 2 pins. This procedure works fine under Win 7 (strangely enough) ! I tried this first under win XP, but figured that it might work as well under win 7...
Reason why I did this tryout: as discussed in length, the "$ activation" can keep UIT in bootloader status; and only a successful fw update releases it again. At the same time, it 'disables' the tool under Windows 7; makes it no longer accessible!
And since I no longer work with Win XP (but still had my 'old' Ghost image), I first had to set my pc back to win xp to "free" my UIT again. Doable, but a real pain in the b...

Bottomline: I suggest that the option to activate the bootloader via a terminal should - temporarily - be removed from the doc pages untill a solution becomes available (like - at least - a reset program)

Reply #10
Thanks for the report. You should be able to exit without uploading a firmware using the -reset command with fw_update like this:

Code: [Select]
fw_update -reset -vid 0x04D8 -pid 0xFD0B

I added that to the wiki. I'm not sure that's what you mean though.

At the same time, it 'disables' the tool under Windows 7; makes it no longer accessible!

Can you please expand on this a little more. After the COM port drops away when pressing $, there's some problems. What is no longer accessible? Do you mean it is stuck in the bootloader (LED on), but it does not appear/attach on win7 with fw_update? Sorry for all the questions, I've not used win7 yet.

Reply #11
normally, you have an additional COMx port in your Device Manager, but no additional HID-compliant device (as one would expect). Fine, as long as it works, right :)

now, as soon as you press the '$' in the terminal window, windows responses as follows:
1. your COMx port is removed
2. a USB Input device appears, but with failing driver (yellow exclamation marker) (see included image)
3. Windows reports the non-working of the UBS device (via a taskbar message)
4. and your UIT stays "on"; the yellow led indicator remains on.

I tried the -reset command back then, as you suggested as well. But since the device is not enabled/failing, you can not send that command anymore...
As mentioned earlier, I did not get this under Windows XP. Even more, if I recall well, even the HID device is shown there as well (along with the COMx port). That's how I found out about the HID device, btw, and the difference in PID between the HID and COMx...
As stated: I do not have these problems if you use the "pin-bridging" (at least, in my case)

btw: I'm currently writing a little manual for myself (so that I don't forget for future reference). I also intend to post a 'package of sw/manual' on the Emtec forum site for the guys overthere. The info is not new; it's all out there, one just need to look for it. All I'm doing here is, assemble the appropriate info/sw in one convenient package (for WinLIRC users).

Reply #12
Thanks so much, I didn't know about this issue.

What happens when you unplug it and replug it after this happens? Is it still in error state?

I could see maybe if there wasn't enough time between the COM port disappearing and the bootloader starting it could cause this error.

Reply #13
Sorry, also I'm not sure what the emtec forum is.

Reply #14
I tried all sort of things, including plug in/out, etc. Tried afterwards with pin-bridging as well; changing PIDs, etc. Even did a reboot (and reboot after uninstalling drivers/device), disabled UAC, and some more, but noppes... Did even try with a Win XP compatible Command prompt, and Administrator rights. Evt I had to reinstall XP again to reset my UIT.
Hence my suggestion to either remove the option in the docs, or explicitly mention the Win 7 install procedure (which probably applies to vista users as well)

Never mind the emtec forum; it's all about the Emtec media players. But I think that my instruction manual would help beginners with a quick start...