Skip to main content
Topic: Buspirate 3.6 alive? (Read 27496 times) previous topic - next topic

Buspirate 3.6 alive?

Just received a Bus Pirate v3.6 (board date April 2012) and haven't been able to get much of a response from it over the serial interface.

115200 8N1 via putty

After a while, the mode light comes on and I can see the USB LED flash as I hit enter.  Nothing sent back in response to "~", "?", or enter key.  Am I missing something stupid?

Thanks,
-- Brian

Re: Buspirate 3.6 alive?

Reply #1
The settings look correct, it should show a prompt after an enter. Perhaps you could try triggering the bootloader by shorting two pins and then run the firmware updater tool with --hello to see if the bootloader is properly responding? See http://dangerousprototypes.com/docs/Pir ... Windows%29

Reply #2
I had exactly the same problem.
I just received my Buspirate 3.6 today and unable to get anything return from the terminal.
The manufacture date of my Buspirate is on 10/09/2013

I believe the units we got are defective.
I guess there is something goes wrong during procurement process, such as defective IC, counterfeit FT232RL chips. it's not uncommon in china.

Kam

Reply #3
it's apparently because of hardware problem, I placed a jumper between the PGC and PGD and I am sure the MODE LED is on before I try to upload the firmware to Bus Pirates.

C:kamBPv3-firmware>pirate-loader --dev=COM5 --hex=BPv3-frimware-v6.1.hex
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
  Pirate-Loader for BP with Bootloader v4+
  Loader version: 1.0.2  OS: WINDOWS

Parsing HEX file [BPv3-frimware-v6.1.hex]
Found 21502 words (64506 bytes)
Fixing bootloader/userprogram jumps
Opening serial device COM5...OK
Configuring serial port settings...OK
Sending Hello to the Bootloader...ERROR
No reply from the bootloader, or invalid reply received: 4
Please make sure that PGND and PGC are connected, replug the devide and try again

C:kamBPv3-firmware>pirate-loader --dev=COM5 --hello
  Pirate-Loader for BP with Bootloader v4+
  Loader version: 1.0.2  OS: WINDOWS

Opening serial device COM5...OK
Configuring serial port settings...OK
Sending Hello to the Bootloader...ERROR
No reply from the bootloader, or invalid reply received: 4
Please make sure that PGND and PGC are connected, replug the devide and try again

Reply #4
Does it help if you tap or press on the chips? The problem could be caused by a bad solder joint in either of the big chips.

Reply #5
[quote author="Sjaak"]Does it help if you tap or press on the chips? The problem could be caused by a bad solder joint in either of the big chips.[/quote]

I tried it, but it still did not work.

Reply #6
I used a 10kHz LCR meter to measure the SMD capacitance on the pcb, and the results are as following.
C1 1uF
C2 1uF
C3 1uF
C4 1uF
C5 100nF
C6 1uF

However , the official Doc stated that C1 to C6 should be 100nF, I am not sure if this is the root of the problem?
http://dangerousprototypes.com/docs/Bus_Pirate_v3.6

Reply #7
In circuit measurement of parts is not a real good idea as other parts come into effect. I would say capacitance values are fine.

After reading both posts, I suspect that those PICs were not programmed at all. I just want to ask this: Did you get it from Seeed or one of the official distributors? Also do you have access to a PIC programmer? If you have access to a programmer, you can check if the PIC is programmed or not. If not, it is best to contact the seller and ask for a replacement. As I know, Seeed has an excellent record of replacing broken/defective units.

Reply #8
[quote author="tayken"]In circuit measurement of parts is not a real good idea as other parts come into effect. I would say capacitance values are fine.

After reading both posts, I suspect that those PICs were not programmed at all. I just want to ask this: Did you get it from Seeed or one of the official distributors? Also do you have access to a PIC programmer? If you have access to a programmer, you can check if the PIC is programmed or not. If not, it is best to contact the seller and ask for a replacement. As I know, Seeed has an excellent record of replacing broken/defective units.[/quote]

Thanks for your suggestion,

However, I am not familiar with PIC programmer.

I purchased the Buspirate 3.6 from Seeed. I opened a ticket @ Seeed in yesterday, but I haven't receive any reply yet.
By the way, I am a bit worry now, there are too many negative feedbacks on their forum.
seeedstudio . com/forum/viewforum.php?f=3
it seem that their customer service is going downhill since April 2013

Reply #9
I've heard that Seeed has over expanded a bit. But I know they realized it too. I especially asked if you got it from Seeed as some members of Seeed are also in the form (as I know) and they can contact you. Or Ian is in Shenzhen so if he hears it, he can figure out if a batch got bad or what. There will be a solution, don't worry. It may take a little time though.

Reply #10
In the meantime, I use a multimeter to measure the output voltage of VR1 to VR3 and found that something goes wrong.

The EN PIN of the VR is open.

Reply #11
If you are seeing 3.3V at the output of VR1, there is no problem. VR2 and VR3 are controlled by the PIC so if it is not working, it is normal to see floating EN pin and no output.

Reply #12
I also just received a bus pirate from seeed, and I'm seeing the exact same behavior.  Same board date (Apr 2012) as well.  Did you find anything that helps?

What was your production date (on the bag it came in?).  Mine is 10/09/13

Reply #13
[quote author="devicenull"]I also just received a bus pirate from seeed, and I'm seeing the exact same behavior.  Same board date (Apr 2012) as well.  Did you find anything that helps?

What was your production date (on the bag it came in?).  Mine is 10/09/13[/quote]

Mine is also 10/09/2013
I mentioned it in #3

I am  curious to know if OP has report the problem to Seeed?

I placed the order on 14 Nov 2013 and got the item on 18 Nov 2013.