Skip to main content
Topic: What to do with this after you have finished destroying flash chips? (Read 22816 times) previous topic - next topic

What to do with this after you have finished destroying flash chips?

Well my first thought was to use it as an external display for a pc.
CPU load etc.

but im sure others can come up with better idea's than that.

Re: What to do with this after you have finished destroying flash chips?

Reply #1
I'm going to put in a 'slow' firmware and leave it running on my shelf. If it really does hit 10M than it could go half a year at once per second, or 19 years at once per minute. I like the idea of a solid state machine that sits there, just slowly eating away at itself :)
Got a question? Please ask in the forum for the fastest answers.

Reply #2
how about this,

hook it to your pc and have it do a write every time you hit a key. so you can work at destroying it slowly.

Im sure 2 million+ keystrokes wont take you to long

Reply #3
Hmmm, this might belong in the corrections/suggestions thread as well ...

The PIC18F26J50 (used in the OLS) has PPS, is available in a 28-pin DIP and looks pin-compatible with the PIC18F2550 ...
once the I²C is all SiO2 tear out the F2550, the 7805 and maybe a few resistors, then reconfigure it for 3.3V operation
(i.e. LM7833, LM2937-3.3) and some of the resistors and toast SPI flash chips, SD cards ... maybe even connect it to the
PIC webserver and host the progress on the internet :P

Or remod it into a chess computer - the source code is in C and freely available, porting it from an ATmega8 to a PIC18F2550/24J50
should be doable ... buttons/keyboard could be connected via the I²C interface once the I²C flash has been retired.

Or make a contest for projects based on the flash destroyer ... make it famous like the WOM back in the 70s! :)

Reply #4
I think it is a wonderful little pic eval board. The use of throughole components is much of a help :D

Will it be using the usb as a seed for a random number generator to predict the next lottery jackpot?

Reply #5
How about turning it into a frequency meter?

Re: Re: What to do with this after you have finished destroy

Reply #6
Attach a very bright uv light to it and test those old eproms.

Re: What to do with this after you have finished destroying

Reply #7
is it hardware compatible with serial ram as is?

Reply #8
I think it might work with the microchip serial SRAMs. They are very similar, but they are also SPI not I2C like the chips in the flash destroyer.
Got a question? Please ask in the forum for the fastest answers.

Reply #9
[quote author="ian"]I think it might work with the microchip serial SRAMs. They are very similar, but they are also SPI not I2C like the chips in the flash destroyer.[/quote]

looks like it would need to be bit banged