Skip to main content
Topic: Programming the PIC24FJ64 on the BC Webserver (Read 28864 times) previous topic - next topic

Programming the PIC24FJ64 on the BC Webserver

Hi everyone!

I have build the Web server on a business card (Part 2) from HackADay! I have only one problem that I overlooked... How to program the PIC24FJ64!

I have this programmer:
http://cgi.ebay.com/40-ZIF-USB-Interfac ... 286.c0.m14

Do anybody know if there is any way I can use that one to program the PIC24?

If not can anybody please tell me what is the easyest and ceapest way to program the PIC24FJ64? please help I am dying to see if the Webserver works :)

Thanks!!

Ramon

Re: Programming the PIC24FJ64 on the BC Webserver

Reply #1
Unfortunately, it looks like that programmer only supports 5volt pics (12/16/18F).

I use an ICD2, which is about $150, but I hear good things about the e-bay clones. Sometimes they're around $35, but it looks like everybody has turned up the prices for the back-to-school season.

If you just want to program, a PICKIT2/3 or clone is even cheaper. I highly recommend a debugger if at all possible though, you'll be able to develop your own software later.
Got a question? Please ask in the forum for the fastest answers.

Reply #2
i have to say that if you want a microchip programmer you cant go past the genuine microchip pickit2, @ about $35 its cheap as, it works very well and for the price i dont think its worth buying the clones (been there done that).

It can basicly do everything that the icd2 can do including the debugging and more. the icd2 is quicker at debugging from what i hear but i havnt really got into that side of things so im no expert.

it can be bought from the normal places (mouser, digikey etc) as well as from microchip direct as well. get the programmer and pic up a few spare chips at the same time .

So if you have the money the icd2 is great. but if your on a budget get the pickit2 would be my choice.

Peter

Reply #3
Thanks for the quick response! I also have a Willem Programmer (PCB4.1) laying around, but the guy who made them is very ill and does not support them anymore, I have no manual of it anymore, so I have no clue if I can use it for programming the PIC24FJ64.

I think I buy the PICKit 2 as suggested or, this from ebay:

Option 1:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Mini-USB-PIC-Compatible-Debugger-Programmer-Mplab-ICD2_W0QQitemZ110423659873QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item19b5c35561&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Option2:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ICD2-MCD2-PICKIT2-PIC-KIT2-Universal-Programming-Module_W0QQitemZ260456878196QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3ca4709074&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

My guess is I better go with option 1.. but can anyone tell witch is better?

Thanks!

Reply #4
I have a homemade willem programmer and while its fine for old EPROMS it won't do 24 series PICs. I wouldn't touch those ebay ones with a barge pole, longterm they always end up to be more hassle than they're worth... particularly the poor copies from china.

Go for a proper pickit2... Im sure they're cheaper than the ebay junk too!

Reply #5
option 2 is not a programmer, it is just an adatpor to allow you to program standalone chips with either the icd2 or pickit2 etc.

i own one of the sureelectronics pickit2 programmers (not the icd2 like you linked) and it worked great for about 3 months then something happened and it no longer works. so i ended up buying the original pickit2 from here
http://www.microchipdirect.com/ProductD ... ry=Getting Started Programmers&mid=13&treeid=6

worked flawless ever since.

im not saying the sureelectroincs stuff is bad as i only have 1 to go off, but i just wanted to mention what happened to mine.

Peter

Reply #6
Ok thanks Peter for the response, I think I will buy a PICKit2 then, since it also is possible to debug with it.. Thanks again for the help.

I am a very impatient person, so for the time being I am going to build this one myself: http://www.sprut.de/electronic/pic/projekte/brenner9/index.htm (It is in German, but since I am Dutch :))
It seems to be possible to flash a PIC24FJ64 with it so i ordered the stuff at Farnell an it is ariving today, the PCB is etched so I can begin right away! :)

Ramon

Reply #7
The PICkit2 is by far the easiest and cheapest way to go guy's......I have several programmers around here but ended up buying a PICkit2 from Microchip because the PIC24FJ64 is tricky to program with regular programmers cos of the fact you can select the physical positioning (location) of your I/O pins.

Dave
Dave (VA7DB)

Reply #8
I ended up buying this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/Mini-USB-PIC-Compatible-Debugger-Programmer-Mplab-ICD2_W0QQitemZ110425954068QQcategoryZ4661QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m183QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DSICDD%26its%3DI%252BC%252BS%252BIA%26itu%3DSI%252BUS-WHR%252BUCI%252BIA%252BUCC%252BPSS%252BCRS%252BIT%252BUA%26otn%3D4%26ps%3D33

I hope I can do everything I want with it, but is is Mplab ICD2 compatible so I think it will be ok I ended up buying it for 36 euro witch is 2 euro more expensive then the official PICKit2 so I think it is a nice deal.

Reply #9
Thats the Sure that Scopria was using. I've heard good things about them, Scorpia's is the first complaint I've seen.

Reply #10
that one is the ICD2 version.

i had the pickit2 one. see http://cgi.ebay.com/Clone-Microchip-Dev ... dZViewItem

i have nothing against sure, and i would buy them again, but i would buy an original pickit2 over there clone of it. for $5 more its worth it.

As for there verison of the icd2, i was interested but the pickit2 does everything i needed it to do so im happy atm.

Reply #11
Ah, sorry, I misunderstood. Good to know.

rvbcrs, please let us know how it goes. I tried to get a 'sample' to review at Hack a Day, but they weren't very responsive.

Reply #12
[quote author="ian"]
Ah, sorry, I misunderstood. Good to know.

rvbcrs, please let us know how it goes. I tried to get a 'sample' to review at Hack a Day, but they weren't very responsive.
[/quote]

I just got a message that the shipped the item! so I guess the waiting starts now ;) as soon as its in, I will let you guys know..

Until then I proceed to build the "Brenner9" witch I posted on earlier, if that works I will post it here too. I only had some problem with getting a weird transistor BF959.. I normally always order my stuff at Farnell and they did not have the part. And a BC328-25 does anyone know if I can just use the BC328 instead?

Reply #13
sorry i dont know about the transistors, but i have a question,

do you have a programmer to program the pic in the pic programmer you are building? it seemed to be an 18f series pic.

or is that the classic catch22 pic programmer issue? how do you build a pic programmer without a pic programmer :)

Peter

Reply #14
[quote author="Scorpia"]
sorry i dont know about the transistors, but i have a question,

do you have a programmer to program the pic in the pic programmer you are building? it seemed to be an 18f series pic.

or is that the classic catch22 pic programmer issue? how do you build a pic programmer without a pic programmer :)

Peter
[/quote]

I have this programmer: http://cgi.ebay.com/40-ZIF-USB-Interfac ... 286.c0.m14

I flashed the 18F2550 with that, i seemed to flash ok, but I have not tried it yet because the 3.3v programmer (brenner9) i'm currently building is not yet finished ;) The 18F is loaded with a bootloader so It can do a "self update" of the firmware.