Skip to main content
Topic: PAW19 - SDbb - SD Card Breakout for Breadboards (Read 6142 times) previous topic - next topic

PAW19 - SDbb - SD Card Breakout for Breadboards

This weeks PAW is just a breakout board for micro SD cards.  There's a number of boards like this on the market already, but they are kinda expensive and I like doing my own stuff, so here it is... :-)

The board have a LDO that supplies the SD card with 3.3 volts and there are proper level shifters on the board so it can connect to 5 volt devices. I've added a LED that will light up whenever a card is inserted and it will also double as a power indicator.

I only had the SN74LVC2T45 level shifters in the VSSOP model at home and I used the Dangerous Prototypes footprint for them which is the much larger SSOP. But with some careful positioning and extra solder I was able to use them anyways.

[attachment=3]

[attachment=2]

[attachment=1]

[attachment=0]

Re: PAW19 - SDbb - SD Card Breakout for Breadboards

Reply #1
Hm, shouldnt the power and gnd have been so they could be connected to the two rails on typical breadboards?, like this type:
http://www.ladyada.net/images/parts/breadboard-half.jpg

Reply #2
Yes, that probably would have been a good idea.  But it would have required a bunch of jumpers (or at least solder-bridge-jumpers at the backside of the pcb) to configure which rail is gnd and which is vcc.

I've got gnd/vcc at the top 7-pin header as well, so there's no real reason of having gnd/vcc at the bottom header as well.  These headers are only there to keep the board straight.

But I'll do the rail-connector stuff in the next revision of the board. Most def.

Reply #3
I would always use red for + and blue for - as suggested on the breadboards though..
Ah, didn't notice that power also was on the bottom header..

Reply #4
with the set up you have, couldn't you simply not populate one of the pins on bot VCC and Gnd plug it in so it is in the rails on the edge of your board?

Reply #5
[quote author="dolabra"]with the set up you have, couldn't you simply not populate one of the pins on bot VCC and Gnd plug it in so it is in the rails on the edge of your board?[/quote]
Eeehhhhh.....  Hm...  Yes actually. That's smart!

Why didn't I think about that ?!?  ;-)

Reply #6
That was what I wanted with having the pins so you could stick it up there instead of covering all of the breadboard.. ;)

Reply #7
Hi Mats;
  put a few headers along the edges for Vcc and gnd.
Then the user can adapt to their actual breadboard.
Right now I have yours leaving 1/2 to one pin open.
Can you put them on 0.05" spacing.

I bought a "breadboard power supply".
It only fit my cheapest one.
The pin spacing was off for the nicer ones.

Mick M