Skip to main content
Topic: ethernet jack LEDs (Read 2562 times) previous topic - next topic

ethernet jack LEDs

Was studying the PCB tonight and noticed that R4A and R5A aren't connected to anything on the opposite side of the LEDs, i.e. the ethernet jack LEDs aren't connected (they are in the schematic)

Is this on purpose or in error?

Regards

Nick

Re: ethernet jack LEDs

Reply #1
I'm sure they are connected. Ian is using "copper pouring" technique. After you press the "Rattnes" button you will see that GND signal will fill the polygon (dashed line on the border)

Reply #2
I don't think they are connected either, looking at my actual pcb.
Seems R4A and R5A are "duplicates" of R4 and R5 - the resistors in series with the LINK and ACT leds on the front of the card.
 And, on the schematic, R4A and R5A are on different nets to R4 and R5.

I was thinking about cutting the tracks going from the PIC to R4 and R5, and re-wiring to R4A and R5A, and connecting the (R4,R5) ACT and LINK leds back to unused PIC outputs (if there are any left that can source sufficient current)

Reply #3
Mine aren't connected either - I assumed it was so that all the LEDs could be brought out in the same place on the top of the PCB, rather than having to look at the back of the RJ45 to see if there was network activity etc.

I was actually going to connect the RJ45 ones  instead until I realised it would make it a little inconvenient when testing :)

Reply #4
Nope, these are not connected. The resistor slots were supposed to be left unpopulated, but they placed them on the manufactured version. I wanted all the status symbols up front, but in case anyone wanted to play with the jack LEDs I sill placed the resistors.
Got a question? Please ask in the forum for the fastest answers.

Reply #5
Thats great Ian, thanks :)

Reply #6
Could have added some coffee bean jumpers... I guess I'll break out the wirewrap wire and make some jumpers.

Another thing...no mounting holes????

Reply #7
Hi tmdrake - Not on the original, but the updated version currently shipping has mounting holes. (SMD/solder) Jumpers to the jack LEDs would have been a good idea.
Got a question? Please ask in the forum for the fastest answers.