Skip to main content
Topic: Is SPI stable/issue free on BP v4? (Read 2364 times) previous topic - next topic

Is SPI stable/issue free on BP v4?

Hello, awesome site and community! Just found DP and have become a big fan - way to go Ian and staff!

I want to buy a pair of Bus Pirates for some SPI work and wanted to go with the v4 design (for the pullup resistor support mainly) and have a couple of questions... 

1. Hows the stability of SPI on v4?
2. Is the v4 board design locked/finalized at this time?

Thank you!
-charlie

Re: Is SPI stable/issue free on BP v4?

Reply #1
[quote author="charliev"]Hello, awesome site and community! Just found DP and have become a big fan - way to go Ian and staff!

I want to buy a pair of Bus Pirates for some SPI work and wanted to go with the v4 design (for the pullup resistor support mainly) and have a couple of questions... 

1. Hows the stability of SPI on v4?
2. Is the v4 board design locked/finalized at this time?

Thank you!
-charlie[/quote]

The Bpv4 board design is locked, we might change pin arrangements in the IO header, but nothing that would change functionality..

Do you plan to use a terminal to control the Bus Pirate, or a script. terminal mode is stable, whiele the binary still has a few bugs.
best regards FIlip.

Reply #2
Hi arakis, thank you for your reply.

I have 2 RF (SPI) devices that I want to play with...

I'd like to eventually use a script, but can get by manually entering values in the terminal mode - I'm still a noob with BP, so doing a lot of reading from this site... any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
-charlie

Reply #3
[quote author="charliev"]Hi arakis, thank you for your reply.

I have 2 RF (SPI) devices that I want to play with...

I'd like to eventually use a script, but can get by manually entering values in the terminal mode - I'm still a noob with BP, so doing a lot of reading from this site... any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
-charlie[/quote]

If you plan on testing out communication between the two modules, you;ll defiantly need a  script, as manualy entering values into registers might prove to be  too slow.. Personally I would use two arduinos for this, as it would probably be easier to program and cheaper to implement.
best regards FIlip.

Reply #4
Thanks arakis,
Yeah, you're right I'll need a script. I found the Wiki here:
http://dangerousprototypes.com/docs/Bus ... _reference

I hear what you're saying about the Arduinos, but since I had to purchase either to get started... I went with BP as I wanted to get familiar with it.

So, script-mode is stable for SPI on BPv4?

Reply #5
[quote author="charliev"]Thanks arakis,
Yeah, you're right I'll need a script. I found the Wiki here:
http://dangerousprototypes.com/docs/Bus ... _reference

I hear what you're saying about the Arduinos, but since I had to purchase either to get started... I went with BP as I wanted to get familiar with it.

So, script-mode is stable for SPI on BPv4?[/quote]

There are some issues with the SPI in binary mode, although I think most were resolved. I would always recomend v3, as it;s the stable one, v4 is still under development..
best regards FIlip.