Skip to main content
Topic: PAW 2 - Rick Winscot (Read 2761 times) previous topic - next topic

PAW 2 - Rick Winscot

Ok... round two for PCB a week! For this weeks challenge I'm going to make a breakout that covers the components in this kit from Sparkfun.

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11630

Admittedly, there is some prior art out there for crystal / resonator breakouts... so this one should be easy peasy. Behold the CRYSTALATOR!

[attachment=0]

Re: PAW 2 - Rick Winscot

Reply #1
Got the PCBs back... and I decided to do a couple variations at the last minute. Here is a small SMD-only approach.

[attachment=5]

Well-suited for AVR ICs that have XTAL 1/2 side-by-side. The ground, as a jumper wire, works nicely.

[attachment=4]

In place with an ATtiny84.

[attachment=3]

Which, I finally decided to expand to support a combination of SMD and through hole components.

[attachment=2]

SMD components in place via reflow. Worked nicely.

[attachment=1]

This should save a little breadboarding time by having an 8, 16, and 20 mhz board ready to go. Also, it's a more solid connection - less noise.

[attachment=0]

If anyone wants to give CRYSTALATOR a try... I have a half-dozen extra I'm happy to give away. PM me your digits and I'll drop one in the mail.

Reply #2
Going through my drawers last night and found a gonk-load of crystals... let me know what kind of configuration you need and if I have the parts I'll include them in the package. Let me know if you want SMD parts on the board (populated).

FYI: five boards left.

Reply #3
Looks handy. I'd put my hand up for one, but just at the moment I'm too busy to put it to good use.
It's getting a little bit confusing with your PAWs and Mats PAWs (that goodness we don't have a DP member called 'Dog' or we could have DogPAWs everywhere!), I'm wondering what you might think about changing to something like RPAW or RickPAW?  Just a thought anyway.

Reply #4
Sure... anything to help keep things organized; I'll tag my PAWs as RickPAW.

Reply #5
Cool, thanks Rick, will save me get all confuzzled with the different PAW's!

Reply #6
Will there be also a pawnshop?

Reply #7
That's doggone funny... ;-)

The last board is gone... BTW - these are give-aways. As in, "free." I typically order a couple extra boards as I prototype just in case I burn something up / let the blue smoke out. When I'm done, I like to share what I don't use... the feedback is invaluable.