Skip to main content
Topic: A stencil8 PCB tooling block for doing solder paste stencils (Read 25605 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: A stencil8 PCB tooling block for doing solder paste sten

Reply #15
Now all sold out!

Reply #16
Excited about mine! Stencil ordered, nice metal squeegee ($3) and solder paste ($9) procured.

Kinda wish Sick of Beige was on 0.1" centers so it would fit right in this. Something to consider for v2.
Got a question? Please ask in the forum for the fastest answers.

Reply #17
Ian, can you tell us where you procured the metal squeegee?
I've been looking around for a while but haven't found anything suitable.
I typically use an old credit card :-)

Reply #18
3rd floor of the "tool" building in huaqiangbei :) It's behind the international LED building, I'm sorry I don't know the actual name or stand number, but it is near the escalators. Should I get a few dozen next time and add to the store?

Reply #19
LOL, if only that was just around the corner... but I am in Sydney, and not sure when I'll be able to drop by Shenzhen.

I think this would be a great item to add to the store.  I imagine lots of people are looking for small & cheap ones for low volume work.

Reply #20
[quote author="ian"]Should I get a few dozen next time and add to the store?[/quote]
If you add non-electronics to the Seeed store don't forget the "Altoid"-style tins we looked at.

Reply #21
Will do. Was actually thinking of bringing them here and selling from our DP store because it's so low volume and Seeed is valuing their stock space pretty highly right now, but the tins are definitely for the Seeed Store.

Reply #22
[quote author="ian"]Excited about mine! Stencil ordered, nice metal squeegee ($3) and solder paste ($9) procured.

Kinda wish Sick of Beige was on 0.1" centers so it would fit right in this. Something to consider for v2.[/quote]

I'm hoping to hear back from the CNC place about progress today, and have them posted by the end of the week. Fingers crossed!

It's 10mm centers, not 0.1", by the way!

Reply #23
Maybe I can whip up a SoB style one with the standard placement. However I figure I won't do much stenciling of prototypes, and the holes are easy to add to panels. I bought a pneumatic paste dispenser to do 1-off prototypes before running the passives by PnP.

Reply #24
Thanks for the update and arranging everything by the way!

Reply #25
[quote author="ian"]Maybe I can whip up a SoB style one with the standard placement. However I figure I won't do much stenciling of prototypes, and the holes are easy to add to panels. I bought a pneumatic paste dispenser to do 1-off prototypes before running the passives by PnP.[/quote]

How much was the paste dispenser? I'd love one, but I get the impression they're expensive.

Thanks for the update and arranging everything by the way!

My pleasure! It'll be a load off my mind once they arrive and I see they're as-specified ,though.

Reply #26
I also use a foot pedal controlled paste dispenser for most prototypes, but for the smaller pitch devices the stencils work better.

Nick, I got my paste dispenser on eBay for about $150, but you also need to buy tips and an air compressor.  The Chinese dispensing tips are a bit average, and you need to replace them often as they clog up if left a few days.

Reply #27
I got a digitally set dispenser with lots of settings all the bits and bobs and tips (not a compressor, which I have to get) for 320rmb, about 50 bucks US. I saw some starting at $25 though, this was the most expensive one I could find. I don't have a pic, but it is scheduled for delivery Friday.

Reply #28
[quote author="ian"]I got a digitally set dispenser with lots of settings all the bits and bobs and tips (not a compressor, which I have to get) for 320rmb, about 50 bucks US. I saw some starting at $25 though, this was the most expensive one I could find. I don't have a pic, but it is scheduled for delivery Friday.[/quote]

Wow, that's the price of two stencils. I have got to find me a place to get one of those.

-Nick

Reply #29
I did some experimenting with a sheet of acrylic and a laser cutter to create a stencil8 block.  It is hard to get a really tight fit on the 2.5mm pegs with a laser cutter since the holes are not nearly as precise as they would be from a mill.  So there is a little play in the pegs when you put them in the plastic block.  However, the 2.5mm holes which were milled into a test PCB were a more precise fit so when the board is placed onto the pegs the whole thing is very stable.  I also did some tests of cutting appropriate holes into a Kapton stencil with a laser cutter.  There is still a very small amount of movement in the stencil but overall I think the alignment is very good.  A metal stencil would probably work better since it would be more rigid.
I still have to do a complete board including putting the paste down and reflowing but I think that a laser cut plastic block and Kapton stencil is a reasonable, lower cost, way to do the stencil8 process.  It is certainly not going to be as precise as a milled aluminum plate or a metal stencil but I think it will work pretty well.