Skip to main content
Topic: 7400 contest 2013 (Read 15071 times) previous topic - next topic

7400 contest 2013

Will there be another contest?

Re: 7400 contest 2013

Reply #1
Let's do an unofficial one on the forum.

Reply #2
You already told me about that. Same guy, different thread. I will most likely be satisfied with whatever substitute contest they come up with, unless it involves programming. I know enough to get by, but logic is what I do.

Reply #3
I'm planning to wait a few years and do some other stuff next year. There wasn't the level of enthusiasm this year, especially among beginners. That is not to diminish from the quality of the entries! I think the contestants really stepped it up. But I fear on the current path we'll have 10 amazing 1st place projects next year, but that's it.
Got a question? Please ask in the forum for the fastest answers.

Reply #4
Hi ian,

I disagree, I think that the problem is that there is few people that know about the contest, for instance, I only learned about it 3 weeks before the deadline and totaly by mistake: I was in hackaday and decided to visit the "contests" section because I was curious, and then I saw the 7400 contest announcement.

I think that the only problem is simply a communication one because many people do not know about the contest and maybe when they find out it is already too late to enter. I think that you guys should repeat the contest next year and we should organize a campaign, in which we could all participate in order to advertise the contest.

Anyway if you have other ideas, then go ahead, there was once a 555 contest (I only heard about it recently) and I would love to participate in such a think. You guys could organize one. :)

Miguel

Reply #5
I propose for

1. Microcontroller contest
    - may be selected platform or platform dependent (PIC, AVR, ...)
    - may be for one model or open to all  (PIC18F2550, ATMega328 ...)
    - may be selected field or open (Eg: renewable energy, robotic, hacking tool ...)
2. Mixed signal discrete design contest (Eg, 741 + 555 + 74xx + 4xxx)

will be more attractive and awesome.

Reply #6
How about a CPLD contest?

Reply #7
Awe, man. I was hoping that DP would run this again for next year.

I had two great ideas for next year's 7400 contest:
1 - A linear power regulator
2 - Scratch built half adder

Reply #8
There is already a thread for contest ideas: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4758

Reply #9
Hi,

Does anyone know if there are official plans for a 7400 contest this year?

Thanks!
-mct

Reply #10
[quote author="ian"]I'm planning to wait a few years and do some other stuff next year. There wasn't the level of enthusiasm this year, especially among beginners. That is not to diminish from the quality of the entries! I think the contestants really stepped it up. But I fear on the current path we'll have 10 amazing 1st place projects next year, but that's it.[/quote]

I agree,
let me elaborate some and ask a question.

organizing, administrating, promoting, securing sponsors + judges, and keeping a list of entrants can easily double the workload for those involved. the first week just about totally burnt me out between the contest and other obligations. for the 70+ entries and the sponsors, promoters, there was around 1000 received emails and most needed a timely reply. there was a contest web page, blog posts for every entry, judge, sponsor, and other announcement.

unfortunately continuing with the same theme will leave some at a disadvantage for various reasons. for this reason it would be a good idea to take suggestions for the theme, and keep the chosen theme secret until announcement.

the main goal of the first contest was to try to promote open hardware, but in turn it became an open source contest. where some sponsors came to us, and others we solicited. I don't believe it is possible to keep everything open when involving a contest, but would like to see more community involved in developing version 3.0

Can we(as a community) successfully organize a contest with a new theme, and without bias, in a way that the same community can also compete?

Reply #11
Hi sqkybeaver,

What ever is this,
- Lets take suggestions, vote, poll for new theme first
- Campaign community at the same time
- Also call for help, sponsors, judges

Can we(as a community) successfully organize a contest with a new theme, and without bias, in a way that the same community can also compete? >>> No idea, Leave it and lets the community will decide itself.