Skip to main content
Topic: Reading SD card content with FT2232H (Read 2655 times) previous topic - next topic

Reading SD card content with FT2232H

Hello, i don't know where to post my question but hopefully this thread is the right place.
I would like to know if you can read the content of an SD card with an FTDI chip FT2232H, I see that it is possible by using spi mode but then i'm totaly lost and dunno where to start
Could someone help me out ? I already have a FT2232 spi board with CLK, DO, DI, CS, 3,3v VCC and GND. I got how to wire it up to my card using the spi outputs.

But then I don't find any program that can read the content of the sd card, i'm not intrested in reading the files in the sd card, i would like to read the raw data in the card like this you do when using winhex, but unstead of using an sd card reader, i'd like to use my FT2232H with spi

If anyone could give me a hand, thanks a lot

Re: Reading SD card content with FT2232H

Reply #1
I'm not sure. I have never seen a ready solution. To get the SD card in SPI mode you need to send a certain number of clock ticks with the data held a certain way (or something, I forget off hand), and I don't know if you can imitate those actions with the hardware SPI module on the 2232.
Got a question? Please ask in the forum for the fastest answers.

Reply #2
The FT2232H can use SPI without any trouble using the MPSSE, and the sd card can also be used in spi, so I think they could comunicate. Actually you could communicate with sd card using a com post and the FT2232H is a com port emulator. The only thing is I dunno how to do such thing or where I can find informations about how to do so with an FT2232H

Reply #3
Actually you could communicate with sd card using a com post and the FT2232H is a com port emulator.

I have never heard of an SD card with a COM port interface, sorry. I don't know any more about this.
Got a question? Please ask in the forum for the fastest answers.

Reply #4
Possibly can be done. It is not so much different that this: hackaday.com/2012/09/20/reading-bare-nand-flash-chips-with-a-microcontroller/

If you are using Linux, you are lucky as you can later on mount the image file (or dump file, whatever you call it) and use it as it is plugged to your PC. It will be slower I guess but a nice exercise.