Skip to main content
Topic: wiki extensions and suggestions (Read 1709 times) previous topic - next topic

wiki extensions and suggestions

Ian et al,

Some humble suggested extensions for the wiki (exclusively based on personal tastes ;-))

* msupload

This extension makes it possible to drag and drop images without leaving the page you're editing.  I can't stress enough how fast this makes editing image-heavy pages.  Groups of images can all be dragged in at once and uploaded in one click (while editing the rest of the page).  Unfortunately, this only seems to work well with 1.18.

* CategoryTree

Creates an interactive tree.  I like to put these at the tops of all pages that are within a category - I find it really helps with navigation and finding related pages: example

Re: wiki extensions and suggestions

Reply #1
I also created a new TIP Template and modified the Build 3D Models from Eagle Files page as an example to see how it was received.

As always, feel free to ignore the suggestions and back out the changes!

p.s.  I also thought I'd share a quick way of updating footprints within an eagle board - discovered during the 3d modeling iterative dance:)

Reply #2
Thanks bearmos,

I will install the extensions this weekend, thanks for the suggestions. Not sure about the image upload though, we're still on a 1.16 because of the editor I think.

Template looks great, love the tips box.
Got a question? Please ask in the forum for the fastest answers.

Reply #3
[quote author="ian"]Not sure about the image upload though, we're still on a 1.16 because of the editor I think.[/quote]
Is wikEd the editor you're talking about (I'm using one on a 1.18 installation without issue)?

[quote author="ian"]Template looks great, love the tips box.[/quote]
I'm glad you like it.  it shouldn't be too much work for someone with some fluency in html/css to make it look better (maybe a cute icon in the corner or something).

Reply #4
(I'm using one on a 1.18 installation without issue)?

Woohoo! Last time I checked I don't think it was ready, but it could have been another plugin (phpBB3 login integration). Now I'll have to check it out and upgrade :)
Got a question? Please ask in the forum for the fastest answers.

Reply #5
[quote author="ian"]
(I'm using one on a 1.18 installation without issue)?

Woohoo! Last time I checked I don't think it was ready, but it could have been another plugin (phpBB3 login integration). Now I'll have to check it out and upgrade :)[/quote]

Excellent, the issue that I usually have with mediawiki upgrades is getting a customized template working. . .but that's mainly because i just hack the stock template since I'm too impatient to do it the right way and make a "real" template ;-). Hopefully since you had some concerted effort on the template, this won't be an issue (although I guess a change in the API would cause some headache).